PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 13 (March 9th and 10th)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

Allskate
03-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Adam looked really good.

If Lauren and Thia cry at such mild criticism, how are they ever going to handle the rest of the show and this business? It just confirms to me that the age limit should not have been lowered.

BigB08822
03-11-2011, 05:19 AM
I don't care how good of a singer anyone thinks Jacob Lusk is. If he is good then I don't want to ever be a good singer. He kills my ears every week, even when he is on key I can not stand to listen to his shrieking. Once or twice in a song is ok but somehow he finds a way to do it 10 times in a minute and a half song. Enough is enough and, in my opinion, he is an awful singer.

phoenixflamezzz
03-11-2011, 05:25 AM
I don't care how good of a singer anyone thinks Jacob Lusk is. If he is good then I don't want to ever be a good singer. He kills my ears every week, even when he is on key I can not stand to listen to his shrieking. Once or twice in a song is ok but somehow he finds a way to do it 10 times in a minute and a half song. Enough is enough and, in my opinion, he is an awful singer.

eh. i felt the same way about adam S8, but i would never in a million years call him an awful singer. just not my cup o'.

taf2002
03-11-2011, 05:52 AM
What Jacob can do with his voice may be amazing....he can sure hit some high notes. But would you buy a CD of his? Could you attend a concert & listen to that screeching for an hour or so?

Now that the competition has really started, I really miss Simon. I'm sure he would have had some useful critique last night, & not just for Jacob.

(BTW I wasn't blessed with a singing voice but I was in the marching band & stage band in HS. So I think I have at least one musical bone in my body.)

cailuj365
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Adam looked gorgeous, but I don't think I've seen Adam with such little makeup on since Tracks of My Tears. :eek: He almost looks like a different person. :lol: Kind of a subdued performance. I think I like the acoustic version on the EP better. I just bought the remix version (http://ryanseacrest.com/2011/03/09/world-premiere-adam-lambert-debuts-aftermath-remix-audio/) though, which is obviously quite different but I loooove it. Funnily, his vocals are much more at the center of this than the actual version. I hope he works with Billboard again for his next album, but I'm not sure if it'll happen.

Hmm, after reading this criticism, I watched Jacob's last performance...and I actually really liked it. :shuffle: I kind of love his voice. I think he's great. At least his voice is smooth on the high notes...

...unlike Casey's where it's like this growly mess. I like him and his performance, but there were a few notes where it's just not pretty.

My criticism of Pia remains exactly the same from last week. :blah: I feel like she thinks that people should perform like it's the 90s.

Lauren and James were okay for me. Both sung well, but not that memorable.

Naima! Loooooooved that. I think that was the most current performance/song I've seen on this entire show so far. The vocal was kind of lacking, but who cares, that would have been better than 95% of the artists at the Grammys or VMAs. The dancing and the breakdown were SWEET. If she only had some big money note to top it off, it could have been better. The high "because" after "all you need and more-oooore" would have been good enough.

Allskate
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Hmm, after reading this criticism, I watched Jacob's last performance...and I actually really liked it. :shuffle: I kind of love his voice. I think he's great. At least his voice is smooth on the high notes...

...unlike Casey's where it's like this growly mess. I like him and his performance, but there were a few notes where it's just not pretty.

Naima! Loooooooved that. I think that was the most current performance/song I've seen on this entire show so far. The vocal was kind of lacking, but who cares, that would have been better than 95% of the artists at the Grammys or VMAs. The dancing and the breakdown were SWEET. If she only had some big money note to top it off, it could have been better. The high "because" after "all you need and more-oooore" would have been good enough.

I think this is a good example of when and how vocal issues affect a person's assessment of the quality of someone's performance. Jacob even admitted to having some vocal problems the other night. People often are more likely to overlook pitch and control problems if they like the person's tone, singing style, or performing style. And what people think is a good performing and singing style is highly subjective. Jacob's style simply doesn't appeal to me, but at least he adds some variety to the show.

I don't think Naima's moves are all that great compared to many successful performers, but IMO they sure are better and more interesting than her competitors'. (There are people who love the way that Paul moves on stage, but I don't. Some people can't stand the way he sings (though I think some people may be hearing with their eyes, but I like his tone.) I wouldn't go so far as to say that Naima's vocals were better than 95% of the Grammy performers', but it was as good as some there. I'm not sure that's a good jutsification for keeping her around until the end, though, if there are people who clearly are outsinging her. If the singing isn't the major factor in this show, why bother pretending that this is a singing contest? I don't see the point in crowning someone just to autotune the heck out of them in the studio. Naima adds interest to the show, so I'm glad to keep her around until some of the boring mediocre singers are sent home.

I'm curious to know how much the producers brought in to work with the contestants are determining the arrangements. I think some contestants will benefit from the producers and some might be getting stuck with arrangements that the judges and a lot of viewers don't like. Naima's arrangement worked for her. Thia's and Stefano's? Not so much, IMO.

Aceon6
03-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm curious to know how much the producers brought in to work with the contestants are determining the arrangements. I think some contestants will benefit from the producers and some might be getting stuck with arrangements that the judges and a lot of viewers don't like. Naima's arrangement worked for her. Thia's and Stefano's? Not so much, IMO.

I feel that having professional help will benefit the older contestants. Those folks are used to working with/for others and, if they play their cards right, can get the most out of the experience. I worry that the younger kids will just go with the "sing it that way" not realizing that it should be a trial and error process.

Jayar
03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
FWIW, I will buy music by Jacob. I love his style. But I buy a lot of the contestants' music. I try to support these kids as much as I can. I even have something from David Archuletta :eek:

Aceon6
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
FWIW, I will buy music by Jacob. I love his style. But I buy a lot of the contestants' music. I try to support these kids as much as I can. I even have something from David Archuletta :eek:

As I said in the other thread, I love Jacob's gift. I just wish he'd give it to us in a simpler way. I must confess, I hate runs. Hate 'em with a passion, no matter how well delivered.

PeterG
03-11-2011, 08:02 PM
We had Paul, Alaina and Karen in our bottom three. One out of three ain't bad! Actually, we might have had two if I had been able to make the poll into 13 choices. Perhaps all of the votes for Ashthon/Naima were all for Naimia? (Hope, hope, hope!)

If Lauren and Thia cry at such mild criticism, how are they ever going to handle the rest of the show and this business? It just confirms to me that the age limit should not have been lowered.

Some would say that crying is a way to handle criticism. If we get hurt, we cry. Better to let go of the pain than hold it all in. Makes me wonder if Casey is feeling the pressure of the competition and holding it all in...until he ends up in the hospital. Meanwhile, Lauren and Thia are standing strong! (Remember, we were born with tearducts for a reason!) :)

PeterG
03-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Had to add this bit from votefortheworst.com...too funny!! :rofl:

VFTW pick Paul McDonald sailed through into the top 12 without touching the bottom 3, as did backup picks Naima, Casey, and well basically half the cast. The most predictable bottom 3 consisted of Karen, Haley, and Ashthon. Latino voters saved Karen, fans of anal sex saved Haley, so no one was left to save Ashthon. The judges didn't use the save and she was sent home. You know what that means? Paul McDonald is getting a caricature this weekend. You go, white boy. We're going for our 4th white guy with a guitar winner in a row. So keep up those hilarious antics, Pauly. You too, half the cast. You're making this show way more fun than it's been in a long time by taking giant dumps on the stage. Love you!

Allskate
03-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Some would say that crying is a way to handle criticism. If we get hurt, we cry. Better to let go of the pain than hold it all in. Makes me wonder if Casey is feeling the pressure of the competition and holding it all in...until he ends up in the hospital. Meanwhile, Lauren and Thia are standing strong! (Remember, we were born with tearducts for a reason!) :)

Yes, but crying at such minor criticism shouldn't really hurt very much. I have to admit, I'm wondering if some of the tears from Thia and Lauren and the "I sang bad. I'm sorry" stuff isn't an attempt to gain sympathy from voters. But, it could just be that they are really, really tired and, at their age, they don't know how to handle the stress better. The three who ended up in the bottom three seemed to be handling things better than Thia and Lauren.

I do think that Casey's health problems may be the result of the pressure or of being too busy to take care of his health. He tweeted that he got some blood transfusions and is feeling better. Crystal, who dealt with her own health issues last year, tweeted him and encouraged him to try to stay in the competition and not be afraid to say "no" at times.

skatesindreams
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Uh yeah, I have listened to music. Real music where the person stays on key, sings the melody as written, and doesn't scream. What a concept.

Just because you like his style (I don't know what you'd call it, but I guess it is a style) doesn't mean everyone will. Even the elite & educated might not like his singing. Believe it or not.

Phenomenal? I don't think so. Even his much touted God Bless the Child made my ears bleed.

BTW, rude much?

I'm with you!

LuckyCharm
03-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Had to add this bit from votefortheworst.com...too funny!! :rofl:

I have to admit, I don't get the Haley/anal connection. What am I missing?

cailuj365
03-12-2011, 12:07 AM
I think this is a good example of when and how vocal issues affect a person's assessment of the quality of someone's performance. Jacob even admitted to having some vocal problems the other night. People often are more likely to overlook pitch and control problems if they like the person's tone, singing style, or performing style. And what people think is a good performing and singing style is highly subjective. Jacob's style simply doesn't appeal to me, but at least he adds some variety to the show.

You say this like I've never heard people trash some of my favorite singers because they don't like their tone, "shrieking," or performance style. :P

I don't think Naima's moves are all that great compared to many successful performers, but IMO they sure are better and more interesting than her competitors'. (There are people who love the way that Paul moves on stage, but I don't. Some people can't stand the way he sings (though I think some people may be hearing with their eyes, but I like his tone.) I wouldn't go so far as to say that Naima's vocals were better than 95% of the Grammy performers', but it was as good as some there. I'm not sure that's a good jutsification for keeping her around until the end, though, if there are people who clearly are outsinging her. If the singing isn't the major factor in this show, why bother pretending that this is a singing contest? I don't see the point in crowning someone just to autotune the heck out of them in the studio. Naima adds interest to the show, so I'm glad to keep her around until some of the boring mediocre singers are sent home.

I never said Naima was going to win! From the performances from last week, I only watched Casey, Jacob, Lauren, James, Pia, and Naima. Out of those six people, Naima was the most entertaining and current and did a song in a genre that I'm most interested in. I like it when people dance and sing songs less than five years old that I've actually listened to outside of Idol, okay? Does Paul dance? Maybe I should watch him... As you can see, I don't take this show very seriously, which is why I only half watch it and don't vote. :shrug: