PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Top 13 (March 9th and 10th)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

Rob
03-10-2011, 08:30 PM
I dont care what kind of spin they put on it but Summertime, And I'm Tellin You, Respect, Midnight Train To Georgia, Black Velvet, Turn The Beat Around, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Hallelujah, Against All Odds should be banned from IA by now?

I keep wishing someone would belt out White Rabbit. :rofl:

haribobo
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Clear non winners for me last night... Paul made my ears bleed and Ashley "cuted" me to death.

Hmm, don't remember anyone named Ashley on the show anymore. Ashley Sullivan got married in Vegas and then promptly was eliminated just in time to audition for another show to air in the summer, called Spastic Emotionally Unhinged and Newly Married Cabaret Singers. I think she'll win. :D

haribobo
03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
The dialidol sample would indicate quirky isn't flying with much of the voting public. It's going to be interesting to see how their results compare with the official results as a test sample.

Depends on what quirky you are talking about and ultimately whether it is worthy quirkiness or just pathetic weirdness with no purpose. Of the people we got on the top 13, I'd say Pia, Lauren, Ashthon, Jacob, Thia, Stefano and Karen are definitely NOT quirky. Neither are James or Scott really. So the 4 who really hold down the "quirky" label are Haley, Casey, Naima, and Paul. The first 3 go in and out of it depending on the song (and I wouldn't have put Naima there until last night). They all are strong singers though, with or without the quirk. Paul pretty much defines quirky, but that would be ok with me if he had some power to his vocals. That whisper thin voice just doesn't do much for me. Just too much style over substance IMO. He's good-ish, but based on what we've seen from him so far, no way I'd have him in the top 13 over Tim, Colton, Jerome, Tiwan, etc. Maybe he'll surprise and do something cool soon. But I'm starting to get the feeling there just isn't much going on there, vocally. So I think quality has just as much to do with it, if not more...

Allskate
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Paul may be the quirkiest, but there's no way he's going home tonight. He's definitely got a fan base. He and Casey may be on the bottom of DialIdol's listing according to the DialIdol score, but I'd be willing to bet that neither of them is in the bottom three.

I think that this kid might have a good recording future ahead of him. He has a good rock voice and there is a market for that.

I don't think there is much of a market for a rock voice right now, especially not for the kind of rock that James has said he likes to sing. Plus, I don't see an Idol being warmly welcomed into the world of hard rock. If he gets to the finale and wins a recording contract, they'll have him front a pop/rock group along the lines of Daughtry or David Cook. He'll be on HAC stations. They'd have a much easier time finding a market for Scotty.

Aceon6
03-10-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't think there is much of a market for a rock voice right now, especially not for the kind of rock that James has said he likes to sing. Plus, I don't see an Idol being warmly welcomed into the world of hard rock. If he gets to the finale and wins a recording contract, they'll have him front a pop/rock group along the lines of Daughtry or David Cook. He'll be on HAC stations. They'd have a much easier time finding a market for Scotty.

With the right packaging, James could find an audience. Tweens LOVE dangerous guys.

Jayar
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
With the right packaging, James could find an audience. Tweens LOVE dangerous guys.

He's not dangerous, and Casey is not cool. When did dangerous become white boy with emotional problems? And when did cool become 'I'm not going to care what I look like, so I refuse to shower, shave, or wash my clothes'? UGH! And I swear to gay Jesus if Thia sings 'It's Raining Men', I will kill someone.

phoenixflamezzz
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
james has been portrayed as a mushy struggling dad who's had difficulties with buying diapers for his baby, and he cried incessantly in the audition and hollywood rounds. if that's dangerous...

also figured out who paul reminds me of when he performs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbQKSaYQD8

PeterG
03-10-2011, 09:55 PM
And when did cool become 'I'm not going to care what I look like, so I refuse to shower, shave, or wash my clothes'? UGH!

:lol:

I was thinking that last night. You could see Karen, Thia and James were taking advantage of the hair stylists and wardrobe people...but with Casey, I just thought, "did no one tell you they've got a whole department of people who are here to help you"??? :eek: Take a bath, dude!

Allskate
03-10-2011, 09:56 PM

:confused: Like Justin Bieber? I don't see James appealing to the tweens. Besides, tweens move on to the next idol pretty quickly. You can't make a long-term career out of being a tween idol.

Aceon6
03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Hmm, don't remember anyone named Ashley on the show anymore. Ashley Sullivan got married in Vegas and then promptly was eliminated just in time to audition for another show to air in the summer, called Spastic Emotionally Unhinged and Newly Married Cabaret Singers. I think she'll win. :D

That's how bad it was... of course it was Hayley.

Aceon6
03-11-2011, 12:14 AM
He's not dangerous, and Casey is not cool. When did dangerous become white boy with emotional problems? And when did cool become 'I'm not going to care what I look like, so I refuse to shower, shave, or wash my clothes'? UGH! And I swear to gay Jesus if Thia sings 'It's Raining Men', I will kill someone.

To most of the tweens I know, anyone over 13 who has any experience with the world is dangerous.

As for Casey, I think he's a band geek. Band geeks get thick skins really early on and many really don't care. They know they're talented and that's enough. Will the masses crown him the next American Idol? Probably not. Can he get steady work in the music business. Damn straight. Producers love to save money. Casey strikes me as a sight-reading, one-take man.

Susan1
03-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm glad someone made a list. I always forget who sang what and how well the next day............

1. Lauren Alaina Any Man of Mine (Shania Twain)
I don't like country music at all, but I think she did a good job with the song. And I bet she'll do better with something else.

2. Casey Abrams With A Little Help From My Friends...loved the performance, the singing not so much
Have to agree with you there.

3. Ashthon Jones When You Tell Me That You Love Me....zzzzzzzz
I have a hard time judging a song that I've never heard before, but it didn't sound like she was even singing the right notes. She seems like a very weak singer.

4. Paul McDonald Come Pick Me Up (Ryan Adams)....OMG, what was that dreck? Is this the same guy that said "uh" before every stanza of Maggie May? uhDid anyone else uhnotice that besides uhme? :-)

5. Pia Toscano All By Myself...hate the song, she didn't bring anything new to it, & she had some pitch problems too
I so wanted her to do better than she did.

6. James Durbin Maybe Im Amazed...I usually not a fan but this was best of the night for me...it was controlled & mostly on keySorry. I love this guy.

7. Haley Reinhart Blue (LeAnn Rimes)...I liked this better than anything I've heard her sing before, don't care for the yodeling but the rest of the song was goodSame here.

8. Jacob Lusk I Believe I Can Fly...one of the worst songs ever written & sung the worst I've ever heard it....shudderWhy do they go so crazy over him? He does have a big powerful voice with a good tone, but he also does not sing any of the notes as they are written. He'd probably make "Happy Birthday" unrecognizable.

9. Thia Megia Smile (Michael Jackson)...zzzzzzzzzz
Randy told Haley that she shouldn't have just stood there and sang, but then he told her that she should have. Make up your mind.

10. Stefano Langone Lately (Stevie Wonder)...I like him but he did have some problems, overall pretty good
Didn't like it. Wanted him to do better.

11. Karen Rodriguez I Could Fall In Love (Selena)...song too big for her & she made it boring Another one I don't know, so I can't tell if she did a good job or not.

12. Scott McCreery The River (Garth Brooks)...I can't stand country & I can't watch him sing...the faces he makes make me uncomfortable
Are we twins or what? Everything he sings sounds the same. Why wouldn't he go on the country singing contest instead - Nashville Star?

13. Naima Adedapo Umbrella...not a fan of this song but I loved her choreography...that should have woken up the crowd
Another one I wanted to do better because I like her personality and her story and previously her voice. That was a terrible song.

martian_girl
03-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Diddy Dirty Money? I know when I'm taking my bathroom break. :scream:

OMG @ Casey being in the hospital again. Poor guy. :(

PRlady
03-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I managed to finish watching my recorded AI right before the results show. And, I've never seen the girls before, missed them last week.

I think this is a pretty talented year, any time that I actually liked five or six singers I'm amazed. James, Scott, Pia, Casey, all have a real shot at the finals.

But, and from reading y'all I realize this was not close to her best and she's not a favorite, I Hearted Thia. I just closed my eyes and listened to her. I love her voice and I even liked the jazzy part.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Stefano has talent, too, even if I didn't like that song. Don't get the Naima and Lauren love, at all.

Anyway, them's my thoughts.

my little pony
03-11-2011, 01:01 AM
what is wrong with Casey? he looks hearty enough