PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying Round Question

Pages : [1] 2

victoriaheidi
03-09-2011, 01:42 AM
I was looking over the scores from the qualifying rounds at jr. worlds, and I don't exactly understand who has to qualify.

For example, Courtney Hicks qualified straight in to the SP, even though she has no international experience. But girls who've performed (and performed well) at international events (like Risa Shoji) had to qualify.

How exactly are the skaters who need to qualify determined?

Sylvia
03-09-2011, 01:52 AM
The number of direct entries is based on last year's competition results and competitors. Check out the ISU Championships FAQs thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77078

MikiAndoFan#1
03-09-2011, 02:01 AM
About Risa, she (and Miyabi Oba) needed to qualify because Japan sent only one lady to Junior Worlds last year, and because of that, only one lady could go directly to the short program this year (which was Yuki Nishino). As for Courtney, the USA sent three ladies last year and since the three spots were maintained, the three US ladies were directly qualified for the short program. I hope I helped you answer your question. :) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Sylvia
03-09-2011, 02:04 AM
From the FAQs thread linked above:

A federation gets as many direct entries as the number of this federation's skaters in the top 18 for Singles, top 12 for Pairs, and top 12 (Euros, 4CC) or 15 (Jr. Worlds and Worlds) for Ice Dance in the corresponding discipline of the preceding season's same Championships.

Q: What happens when a nation has 2 (or 3) competition entries but only 1 (or 2) direct entry? How do they determine who gets the direct entries?

A: The skater(s) ranked higher in the ISU World Standings at the time when the competition entries are made must be given preference for the direct entries.
The competitor with the lower ISU World Standings ranking must be entered into the Preliminary Round.
ETA:
I encourage people to read the FAQs thread -- it explains things very well, IMO. Thanks, HisWeirness! :)

victoriaheidi
03-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Thank you both! Is there any way we can sticky that FAQs thread?

wonderlen
03-09-2011, 04:23 PM
We know Kazuka will have to do qualifying in Tokyo. And heard Mao and Miki are exempt from qualification. What about Kanako??? Did she has to do qualifying.

victoriaheidi
03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
We know Kazuka will have to do qualifying in Tokyo. And heard Mao and Miki are exempt from qualification. What about Kanako??? Did she has to do qualifying.

Here's the test of whether or not I understand this correctly: since Akiko, Miki and Mao all qualified for the LP and qualified 3 spots for 2011, it doesn't look as though Kanako will have to qualify.

Joshi Helgesson will have to qualify, no?

MikiAndoFan#1
03-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Here's the test of whether or not I understand this correctly: since Akiko, Miki and Mao all qualified for the LP and qualified 3 spots for 2011, it doesn't look as though Kanako will have to qualify.

Joshi Helgesson will have to qualify, no?

That's correct! :cheer2: :)

kwanfan1818
03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Murikami doesn't have to qualify because Suzuki (11), Ando (4), and Asado (1) were top 18 at Worlds. 24 qualify for the FS, but the last six don't qualify for direct entries.

For dance, it's top 15, and for pairs it's top 12 for direct entries.

HisWeirness
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
The tabs in the spreadsheet on my SP/SD warmup groups website (https://sites.google.com/site/figureskatingnotes/2011-worlds-sp-sd-warmup-groups) show the skaters that have a direct entry into the SP/SD and those that need to qualify through the preliminary round.

Pairs will not have a preliminary round because there are only 22 entries and 23 entries or more are required to hold a preliminary round. All pairs will first compete in the SP.

DORISPULASKI
03-09-2011, 09:54 PM
The thing that most shows the absurdity of this system is that if W&P had scored 4th at GPF, 2nd at 4CC's, they would be ahead of V&M in the rankings, and it would be V&M who would have to qualify...as the reigning World and Olympic champions :rolleyes:

currently C&P are ranked 4th, V&M are ranked 5th and W&P are ranked 6th in ISU points.

aka_gerbil
03-10-2011, 02:28 AM
The thing that most shows the absurdity of this system is that if W&P had scored 4th at GPF, 2nd at 4CC's, they would be ahead of V&M in the rankings, and it would be V&M who would have to qualify...as the reigning World and Olympic champions :rolleyes:

That is just insane. There should be some sort of rule where reigning champs automatically qualify or something like that.

victoriaheidi
03-10-2011, 02:34 AM

currently C&P are ranked 4th, V&M are ranked 5th and W&P are ranked 6th in ISU points.

That's really ridiculous, although it would be the first time the world would get to see their FD.

Jokes aside, that would be crazy.

Jenna
03-10-2011, 04:49 AM

Crazy but it might have been a blessing this season. Their FD at Worlds will be the first time it has been judged all year. That's tough.

aka_gerbil
03-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Crazy but it might have been a blessing this season. Their FD at Worlds will be the first time it has been judged all year. That's tough.

It would have been a round of practice, true, but would they have really had any time to do anything about any feedback/suggestions they received on the FD between the qualifying round and the real FD?