PDA

View Full Version : Wachsman - Waggoner

Pages : 1 2 [3]

reese
03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I think that W/W did not get along well personally, which might have contributed to their premature retirement.

Yeah, this was also my impression.

snoopysnake
03-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I'd also be interested to know the reason why they retired.

Olympic: they ended up fifth in Calgary. Thanks for posting the video.

I remember how snippy David Santee was to them in the K&C (he was working for ABC interviewing the skaters) when he informed them that they had finished in 5th place.

orbitz
03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
I think poor David Santee was really inexperienced as a TV journalist and was thrown into the big time without much of a safety net. He just wasn't very comfortable in front of the camera at that point.

CaptCrunch
03-06-2011, 10:13 PM
IIRC this win was discussed in a book (I think it's Christine Brennan's first one) as an example of judges "holding up" skaters. I know there are a lot of flaws with this theory and it's pretty subjective, i.e. people tend to think that another skater has been "held up" if their own favourite loses, but in the competition which this book discusses, W/W fell quite a lot and still ended up winning.

I'm not sure I understand this. True that W/W did not skate all that great at 86 Nationals but W/O were the heavy favorites there. W/O were defending champions and had been 4th in their first worlds the year before. W/W had never even been to worlds before. At 85 Skate America W/O had won while W/W were 3rd. Was Brennan saying that W/W got held up and won?

blue_idealist
03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Wachsman and Waggoner probably should have stayed 1 more year because I think the named skater rule would have sent all of them, Yamaguchi/Galindo and Seybold/Seybold to the 1989 World Championships.

I think the key event that kind of skewered the judges favor was probably the 1987 US Nationals LP where Watson/Oppegard skated a great LP and Wachsman/Waggoner kind of made a mess of the LP.

The United States were in retrospect quite fortunate to have 2 top 5 pairs teams at the same time.

What's the named skater rule?

shan
03-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Am I hearing correctly that Gillian is pronounced with a hard "g" as in gorilla?

essence_of_soy
03-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Wachsmann and Waggoner make me weep for the current state of U.S. pair skating.

Back in the 1980s, next to the Soviets, U.S. pairs were often the next best in the world.

judgejudy27
03-07-2011, 12:37 AM
There is more depth in pairs today than there was in Calgary. Back around then the Soviets were head and shoulders above the rest. Valova & Vassiliev had their worst performance ever and still easily won the silver in Calgary.

The U.S has had several pairs since Calgary that were similar level of conention to W&O and W&W. Meno & Sand, Ina & Dungen, Ina & Zimmerman.

orbitz
03-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Back in the 1980s, next to the Soviets, U.S. pairs were often the next best in the world.

Huh? The only American team since the Kennedy brother and sister team won Worlds in the 50 that were considered a gold medal threat to the Soviet was Tai & Randy in 1980. That was a 30 years gap. After Tai & Randy no other American pairs even came close. The Carruthers winning silver in 84 was a total fluke .

overedge
03-07-2011, 01:40 AM
There is more depth in pairs today than there was in Calgary.

Oh really?? Since the discipline has changed so much and the judging system is completely different, I don't even know if the two can be compared.

Spiralgraph
03-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Am I hearing correctly that Gillian is pronounced with a hard "g" as in gorilla?

I think that is correct. Gillian when spelled with a "G" is usually a hard g sound like in "get"

shan
03-07-2011, 02:50 AM
I think that is correct. Gillian when spelled with a "G" is usually a hard g sound like in "get"

Thanks, I've never heard it pronounced that way before. :)

olympic
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I think what JudgeJudy by saying 'more depth' upthread is that there are more countries with top-ranked pairs skaters?