PDA

View Full Version : Which ladies' skaters have the Best Speed?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

geod2
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
i have watched suguri live many times and i have to say, I'm always impressed by her effortless glide across the ice!!!

looks like i'm one of the few who will miss suguri's skating .. :(

I'm one of the few, too..... I miss her skating when she was in her prime, not what we see now.
...and yes, she was fast.

Eveyone has their own preferences, but IMO just "speed" (i.e. the mathematical ratio of distance divided by time) is nice but overrated.
That effortless gliding, precision edges, floating across the ice matters a lot more.

skatak
03-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Laetitia Hubert skated scary fast :eek:
I wonder how many of her many, many mistakes were induced by that crazy speed.

you beat me on this one ;)

Joanne Carter!!

you have a point here !

chipso1
03-03-2011, 11:34 PM
I have an impending sense of doom about this thread.

5, 4, 3, 2...

Fozzie Bear
03-04-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm one of the few, too..... I miss her skating when she was in her prime, not what we see now.
...and yes, she was fast.

Eveyone has their own preferences, but IMO just "speed" (i.e. the mathematical ratio of distance divided by time) is nice but overrated.
That effortless gliding, precision edges, floating across the ice matters a lot more.

Me three. I'm not sure what a few of the above posters are talking about re: pumping. Her speed seemed pretty effortless. That seems to be a trademark of Sato's skaters.

lowtherlore
03-04-2011, 03:27 AM

I believe this thread is not about the raw speed.
Every element is done at a certain pace or speed; i.e., speed gives the fundamental dimension in which everything is performed. It’s not an independent concept.

On the performance side, skating with good speed gives the skater a wider range or freedom in changing the pace of the movement with different phases of the music and the various emotions associated with them. And having good speeds at right moments adds to the magnificence or the “wow factor” of the program.

On the technical side, speed is one of the basic indicators of the skater’s level of proficiency and dexterity, as executing various elements with decent speed requires corresponding skills in coordinating the senses and the body movements, along with good amount of “guts” or conquest of fear. Imagine one tries parallel parking a car at 10 mph vs. at 5 mph. Not the same thing at all.

geod2
03-04-2011, 04:54 AM
...raw speed... It’s not an independent concept.

Good points, and important things for some of us (me) to remember to keep it all in balance.
I think we're saying basically the same thing, but your response is much more eloquent and complete.
This has been an interesting thread.
Thank you.
:)

-

Extranjera
03-04-2011, 06:07 AM
As Ks777 said, the original poster was asking for people's opinion about their speed, not making a statement that these skaters are fast. At least, that's how I interpret it.

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant :)

os168
03-04-2011, 06:28 AM

EricRohmer
03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Which male skaters(retired & current) have the best speed?
(New thread topic?)

briancoogaert
03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Laetitia Hubert skated scary fast :eek:
I wonder how many of her many, many mistakes were induced by that crazy speed.
In an interview in 1995, she said that almost all of her falls on jumps were due to her crazy speed, and that her new coach (Jean-Rolland Racle) was there to calm her down.
But in fact she made as many mistakes after 1995 as pre 1995 !

Maximillian
03-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I believe this thread is not about the raw speed.
Every element is done at a certain pace or speed; i.e., speed gives the fundamental dimension in which everything is performed. It’s not an independent concept.

On the performance side, skating with good speed gives the skater a wider range or freedom in changing the pace of the movement with different phases of the music and the various emotions associated with them. And having good speeds at right moments adds to the magnificence or the “wow factor” of the program.

On the technical side, speed is one of the basic indicators of the skater’s level of proficiency and dexterity, as executing various elements with decent speed requires corresponding skills in coordinating the senses and the body movements, along with good amount of “guts” or conquest of fear. Imagine one tries parallel parking a car at 10 mph vs. at 5 mph. Not the same thing at all.

Ah, but there is the rub, as a skater like Kostner who is consistently lauded for her speed lacks upper body control and appears to struggle from the waist up with keeping her torso in cohesion with the rest of her body. As such, speed can be detrimental to the aesthetics of a skater if she does not appear capable of keeping her body in-line with her legs and blade.

Kim and Nagasu, who by all accounts skate with good speed are capable of keeping the rest of their body in cohesion with their lower body. Kostner and Hubert do (did) not seem capable of maintaining that same type of control over their upper body giving them the appearance of "flailing" and overall insecurity, whenever they were required to do something outside the realm of stroking. Asada and Kwan, on the other hand, while not slow by any measure, both sacrifice speed due to the priority they place on carriage and posture.

pinky166
03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
^^ some of that may have to do with the build of Kim and Nagasu, who are more compact with broader shoulders than Kostner, whose very long limbs and narrower shoulders and hips seem to hurt her balance.

wonderlen
03-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Mmm if i have to rate them out of 10:
Kostner 10
Kim 9
Rochett 8
Mirai 8
Asada 8
Murakumi 8
Ando 7-8 (depends on how she fireup)
Lepisto 7
Flatt 7
:
:
:
:
:
Zhang 1 (Joking)!!

pinky166
03-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Kostner - 10
Suguri (in her prime) - 10
Kim - 9
Nagasu - 8
Lepisto - 8
Murakami - 8
Rochette - 7
Wagner - 7
Leonova - 7
Asada - 6
Ando - 6
Korpi - 6
Zawadzki - 5
Czisny - 4
Flatt - 4
Zhang - 3

judgejudy27
03-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Suguri the fastest? In her prime she was very fast but not the fastest. Sandra Bezic even said after her Olympic free skate she lacks the power and skating skills of Arakawa.