PDA

View Full Version : Which ladies' skaters have the Best Speed?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

oleada
03-03-2011, 05:25 AM
LOL at all the Arakawa, Suguri, and Murakamis.
To some, Japanese skaters can't do anything wrong and best at everything.

And some can't see past their ridiculous biases to see anything good about them.

barbk
03-03-2011, 05:42 AM

Huh? Many, many of those who mentioned Arakawa also mentioned Kostner, who is hardly Japanese. Three Japanese skaters were mentioned -- out of how many Japanese ladies that have been in the top ranks the past ten years? :confused:

bek
03-03-2011, 05:56 AM

Well there's a reason Arakawa is a World and Olympic champ, Suguri is a multi world medalist, and Murakami has had the success she's had, don't you think?

RumbleFish
03-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Well there's a reason Arakawa is a World and Olympic champ, Suguri is a multi world medalist, and Murakami has had the success she's had, don't you think?

I haven't said that they are lousy skaters, nor deny whatever their achievments are. I just think it's funny that there was sudden flood of posts praising their speed, although Arakawa retired 5 years ago and Suguri is a none factor. If we consider retired skaters, I'd think there would be numerous skaters to talk about, Slutskaya for example.

For Murakami, I never thought she was that fast. She does go into her 3T-3T with decent speed, but that is just about it and she does it with a posture of a hockey player.

EricRohmer
03-03-2011, 06:24 AM
definitely Yuna, Kostner

(Kiira Korpi is faster live than on TV!)

RumbleFish
03-03-2011, 06:33 AM
And some can't see past their ridiculous biases to see anything good about them.

:lol: Don't be so pissed. I don't have anything against the skaters.

shine
03-03-2011, 06:38 AM
A lot of Japanese singles skaters are known for their basic skating and their speed. I've also heard commentators talk about how most Japanese skaters are taught to approach their jumps from full speed instead of slowing down before take-off like so many others do. What's so strange to have those names mentioned? :confused:

ks777
03-03-2011, 06:45 AM
:lol: Don't be so pissed. I don't have anything against the skaters.

so you do have something against Japan then?

RumbleFish
03-03-2011, 06:50 AM
so you do have something against Japan then?

Not really. In fact, I have spent extensive time in Japan and have bunch of Japanese friends.

ks777
03-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I haven't said that they are lousy skaters, nor deny whatever their achievments are. I just think it's funny that there was sudden flood of posts praising their speed, although Arakawa retired 5 years ago and Suguri is a none factor. If we consider retired skaters, I'd think there would be numerous skaters to talk about, Slutskaya for example.

For Murakami, I never thought she was that fast. She does go into her 3T-3T with decent speed, but that is just about it and she does it with a posture of a hockey player.

Suguri was always known for her speed. If you were watching figure skating before 2006, you would know this. What does Posture have to do with speed? We are not talkiong about who skates fastest with a good posture here. Arakawa was known for her deep edges. deep edges= speed. We didn't just come up with these names just because they are japanese. They just happened to be Japanese. Yes, Kostner and Kim are also known for their speed. Yes Slutskaya was also fast. So was Lu Chen.

RumbleFish
03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Suguri was always known for her speed. If you were watching figure skating before 2006, you would know this. What does Posture have to do with speed? We are not talkiong about who skates fastest with a good posture here. Arakawa was known for her deep edges. deep edges= speed. We didn't just come up with these names just because they are japanese. They just happened to be Japanese. Yes, Kostner and Kim are also known for their speed. Yes Slutskaya was also fast. So was Lu Chen.

I'd say Japanese skater who had the best speed across the ice was Ota Yukina.
I believe speed in figure skating should be evaluated by m/s/strokes, not by m/s. i.e. skaters should gain speed with effortless quality, and maintain it in and out of elements. In such terms, Ota Yukina was truly excellent, and could match today's fastest skaters.

Suguri had decent speed, but no match in terms of effortless qualities, compared to likes of Kostner, Kim, Lepiesto, and Ota. Arakawa was considerably better than Suguri, but didn't belong in top notch IMO.

Jenny81
03-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Kim & Kostner
(Besides...some of finland's skaters : LepistŲ & Korpi)
These ladies have good speed IMO.

BTW,,, Asada! Ando!! Suguri!!!?? :eek:
Seriously???
Oh... come on.... :lol:

ks777
03-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I'd say Japanese skater who had the best speed across the ice was Ota Yukina.
I believe speed in figure skating should be evaluated by m/s/strokes, not by m/s. i.e. skaters should gain speed with effortless quality, and maintain it in and out of elements. In such terms, Ota Yukina was truly excellent, and could match today's fastest skaters.

Suguri had decent speed, but no match in terms of effortless qualities, compared to likes of Kostner, Kim, Lepiesto, and Ota. Arakawa was considerably better than Suguri, but didn't belong in top notch IMO.

I think Shizuka is faster than Yukina. Shizuka's strokes are so slow yet, she is moving really fast.

Yukina isn't slow at all but I wouldn't say she was the fastest among the japense skaters.

ks777
03-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Kim & Kostner
(Besides...some of finland's skaters : LepistŲ & Korpi)
These ladies have good speed IMO.

BTW,,, Asada! Ando!! Suguri!!!?? :eek:
Seriously???
Oh... come on.... :lol:

ok you just made Ando part up.

lowtherlore
03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Among the current senior ladies: Kostner, Kim, Lepisto, Rochette, Nagasu, Zawadzki. I remember Suguri also looked definitely pumped up tailgating Kim. :lol:

Among the juniors: Sotnikova, and after watching the preliminary at the JWC, I thought Ira Vannut was pretty fast. Canít wait to see all of them live this weekend! :D