PDA

View Full Version : Sasha Cohen - what is she doing now?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

FSWer
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Say,along with Kimmie Meissner......does anyone know the deal on Sasha? Is she Retired,competing,or what not?

CynicElle
03-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I don't know if she has any more plans to compete, but I'm looking forward to seeing her in Stars on Ice on Sunday. :)

FSWer
03-01-2011, 01:08 AM
So is she Retired from competiton?

RD
03-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Done competing. Not officially retired IIRC (just like Kwan, who started this "in limbo semi-retired but not really" state and then everyone else followed).

Unlike Meissner, though, looks like she has committed to at least skating in shows full-time as a pro.

I'm also going to the show on Sunday BTW. I'll see if I can post pics and stuff afterward in the SOI thread.

arakwafan2006
03-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Done competing. Not officially retired IIRC (just like Kwan, who started this "in limbo semi-retired but not really" state and then everyone else followed).

Unlike Meissner, though, looks like she has committed to at least skating in shows full-time as a pro.

I'm also going to the show on Sunday BTW. I'll see if I can post pics and stuff afterward in the SOI thread.

i truly HATE it. Like, i could slap the &^%% out of Michelle for not just SAYING IT... what is so undignified about the word retired?

attyfan
03-01-2011, 02:25 AM
i truly HATE it. Like, i could slap the &^%% out of Michelle for not just SAYING IT... what is so undignified about the word retired?

What is so undignified about not making a formal announcement? There is nothing to be gained by it ... especially since there is not much of a "pro world" anymore. I think that Michelle's actions (college; grad school) speak louder than words.

kwanette
03-01-2011, 02:34 AM

Would you have prefer that Michelle "promise that she would never say goodbye?"

RD
03-01-2011, 02:34 AM
I think the issue is closure.

Skittl1321
03-01-2011, 02:39 AM
What is so undignified about not making a formal announcement? There is nothing to be gained by it ... especially since there is not much of a "pro world" anymore. I think that Michelle's actions (college; grad school) speak louder than words.

I don't think there is any reason to announce it.

Afterall, if the 2014 crop looks week (I don't think it will) she can always come back and try to qualify for the Olympics again like she did this time around.

attyfan
03-01-2011, 02:42 AM
I don't think there is any reason to announce it.

Afterall, if the 2014 crop looks week (I don't think it will) she can always come back and try to qualify for the Olympics again like she did this time around.

You mean Sasha, I take it, not Michelle?

Skittl1321
03-01-2011, 03:10 AM
The thread is about Sasha, so yeah. But I'd be happy to watch Michelle try too :)
She could probably get decent scores just by skating around in a circle, on nostalgia alone.

IceJunkie
03-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Sasha would be 29 in Sochi, and she'd have to go through Regionals, Sectionals etc. I don't see it happening, especially since she's competed once since Torino in the past five years.

FSWer
03-01-2011, 04:57 AM
This is crazy!!!!! 2010-2011. The years all our Freestylers walked out the door!!!! So what's Sasha planning?

Sylvia
03-01-2011, 05:05 AM
Sasha is currently performing in the U.S. Stars on Ice tour that runs through April 9th.

Here's a recent article (Feb. 16): http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-02-16/news/28610591_1_younger-skaters-figure-smucker-s-tour

Only 26, and one of the younger skaters on this tour, Cohen's days of competing at the highest levels of skating are behind her. An attempt to make the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, B.C. ended with her making it only as far as an alternate on the team.

Still, skating exhibitions and performances fill her immediate future, and she hopes to continue them for a while longer.

"It's partly up to how long you can keep free of injury," Cohen says. "I love to travel, I love the feel of performing, but there's a lot of other things I'm interested in, so I don't know how long this will be."

One thing she definitely plans to do is finish her undergraduate degree. She'll attend the summer semester at New York University, and possible enroll fulltime in school at the end of the year.

"I never had a chance to finish my undergrad degree," Cohen says. "I'm interested in everything, from finance to philosophy, so I think I'd start with all of the core classes.

"Before I decide another path that I'm going to go down I'd like to have a broader education."

kwanette
03-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Sasha is currently performing in the U.S. Stars on Ice tour that runs through April 9th.

Here's a recent article (Feb. 16): http://articles.ocregister.com/2011-02-16/news/28610591_1_younger-skaters-figure-smucker-s-tour

Thanks, Sylvia, and good for Sasha that she wants to finish her degree. I hadn't realized that she was taking courses. I'm sure that she will enjoy NYU.