PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner - what is she doing now?

Pages : [1] 2

arakwafan2006
03-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I hope no one slams me for asking this but is she officially retired? If so, what a shame. Not because she was so enigmatic but just because she never got to "bow out" but rather circumstances just sort of ganged up on her...

RockTheTassel
03-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Kimmie hasn't made any official retirement announcment, but she has no current plans to return, and likely never will. She's focusing on college, occasionally doing a bit of show skating, and living a normal life.

Her career ended on a low note, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. The girl can always call herself an Olympian and World Champion. Not shabby at all. :)

arakwafan2006
03-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Good point. At the end of the day she did make great accomplishment.

blue_idealist
03-01-2011, 12:15 AM
I saw her on one of the NBC pro shows awhile back. I think it was Salute to the Golden Age but it might have been another one.

Jenna
03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I think it's safe to say Kimmie has bowed out of the sport.

She has nothing to be ashamed off. World Champ, National Champ, and 6th at an Olympics is nothing to shake a stick at.

FSWer
03-01-2011, 12:33 AM
I was wondering about the girl too. We need to watch when Skaters hurt themselves.

RD
03-01-2011, 01:59 AM
It seems like EVERY MONTH someone posts a thread asking what happened to Meissner. Seriously, probably about the 6th one I've seen so far this season :lol: The answer should be stickied or something. :lol:

RockTheTassel's post sums it up, really. Done. Finished. Over. Next.

MR-FAN
03-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Until she announces her retirement, I'll always believe she'll come back :cheer2:

Cautionary note: this comes from someone who still believes Kwan will be Olympic Champ ;)

Sylvia
03-18-2011, 04:28 AM
Here's a new local (Harford County, Maryland) article on Meissner: http://www.exploreharford.com/sports/8401/skating-back-into-ice-scene-kimmie-meissner-comes-harford-meet-her-fans/

Kimmie was wearing a supportive boot and trying to stay off her foot, which was healing from a stress fracture.

“I just try to stay off it, which is hard for me,” Kimmie said.

The injury is preventing her from skating for the time being. Despite the setbacks, Kimmie remains positive.

“I’m like always injured,” she said with a laugh.

Kimmie said she skates in shows across the United States and is hoping to be well enough to participate in a show in New Jersey next month.

She also hopes competitive skating is not a thing of the past for her.

“I’m thinking about competing again,” Kimmie said. “I have to come back smart.”

She said it’s been about two or three years since she’s competed.

“I miss it a lot,” Kimmie said. “If I don’t compete, I’m definitely going to do shows.”
She’s a sophomore at the University of Delaware, commuting to the college three days a week to attend classes.
She is pursuing a major in exercise science with the long-term goal of being a physical therapist.

RD
03-18-2011, 04:50 AM
thanks for sharing.

leafygreens
03-18-2011, 05:06 PM
It seems like not announcing your retirement is the norm for a lot of people.

Cheylana
03-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Get well Kimmie! Would love to see her at Nationals again, but we'll see how it goes. She needs to do whatever is best for her.

reese
03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
It seems strange that she's still injured given that she's barely been skating and not training for elite competition. I mean, I can understand nagging injuries, but wearing a supportive boot? That sounds like the recovery of a pretty major, recent injury. I wonder what's up. Maybe her body is telling her NO MORE! as loudly as possible, but she can't accept it.

leafygreens
03-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm just glad that Kimmie accomplished so many things. Even though her career was short, it is something great to brag about. She won nationals as a novice, junior and senior; won bronze, silver and gold at seniors; won worlds, Skate America, and Four Continents; almost won junior worlds; and went to the Olympics. Not too shabby. I think everyone's frustration stems from her not being around long enough to defend any of her awards.

shirley
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Count me in as another who is shocked at her decision to still want to compete, given the injuries and everything. Like leafygreens said above, she has quite some hardware already.