PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner - what is she doing now?

Pages : 1 [2]

RD
03-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Not surprised. Most athletes/competitive people tend to be like that- even when their body basically says it's over, they keep entertaining comebacks, etc. We see the phenomenon in several sports.

She also hopes competitive skating is not a thing of the past for her.

“I’m thinking about competing again,” Kimmie said. “I have to come back smart.”

She said it’s been about two or three years since she’s competed.

“I miss it a lot,” Kimmie said. “If I don’t compete, I’m definitely going to do shows.”

Hmm. Doesn't sound like someone committed to a "comeback" to me. Sounds more like someone who is simply CONSIDERING coming back, but doesn't know for sure yet (think of Kwan, Cohen, all the countless skaters who kept mentioning it, but other than Cohen's brief effort, comebacks never actually materialized). But from a personal point of view, I can't possibly see how coming back could have any benefit to her. The only real goal left for her to accomplish is an Oly medal, and judging from the talent coming up, I think she has been surpassed and would be hard-pressed to do much better than barely hanging in the top 10 at nationals. But that may be something she is content with- I dunno. I doubt it, though, because you naturally want to reach higher, and for her she has already won the big prizes.

ETA: also, I'll make an intelligent guess that she was asked IF she was entertaining the thought of a comeback and then responded with the above.

FrouFrou
03-19-2011, 05:32 AM
I agree with most of everything you wrote RD.

But from a personal point of view, I can't possibly see how coming back could have any benefit to her.....I doubt it, though, because you naturally want to reach higher, and for her she has already won the big prizes.

But a lot of athletes who make or try to make a comeback just merely miss competing in of itself and the adrenaline they get when they're in the spotlight. Sure, in the back of their minds they might be thinking, "I still have something to prove" or "I'm better than this", but I think no matter what discipline you're in, athletes understand that their careers are short-lived. So if they haven't gotten everything out of their system, just getting out there again when they still might have a chance, could be in a sense, cathartic and beneficial. Of course, it may be that in hindsight, the comeback was more detrimental than beneficial, e.g. Brett Favre and some may argue Jordan.

IceJunkie
03-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks for posting. It was good to hear an update on Kimmie. She has such a great personality and has done so much to benefit others from her accomplishments.

I think she's done, but who knows. I would love to see her comeback and do well if she can get healthy. Its tough to leave injured.

RD
03-20-2011, 04:46 AM
But a lot of athletes who make or try to make a comeback just merely miss competing in of itself and the adrenaline they get when they're in the spotlight. Sure, in the back of their minds they might be thinking, "I still have something to prove" or "I'm better than this", but I think no matter what discipline you're in, athletes understand that their careers are short-lived. So if they haven't gotten everything out of their system, just getting out there again when they still might have a chance, could be in a sense, cathartic and beneficial. Of course, it may be that in hindsight, the comeback was more detrimental than beneficial, e.g. Brett Favre and some may argue Jordan.

I suppose you have a point. But for some reason I don't think they'd invest the time, effort and money if they didn't TRULY believe (whether that belief is realistic or not is another story) that they could regain their former glory. Turns out that it's virtually always the case that they are past their prime and become shadows of their former selves. Again, maybe some are content like that, but especially if you've been on top, highly endorsed, etc. there comes a point where the risk starts to outweigh the reward.

For someone like Meissner, in ANY potential come-back she tries, she will be compared to her 2006-2007 self (which, arguably, was her peak when she won worlds and Nationals the following year) and it'll likely turn out that she'll never contend again due to better talent at the top. I suppose it could be to her benefit that expectations might be quite low since she did proceed on a downward spiral afterward.

Honestly though- she's done. It sounds like she is now extremely injury-prone, much like Cohen was in 2005 (and again during 2009). Even if she does try, I think injury will take its toll. Unless she overhauls her training technique to minimize risk (obviously can't eliminate it, but there must be a method to at least help reduce likelihood)

Sylvia
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Here's a new Meissner article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110412&content_id=17680580&vkey=ice_news

shine
04-12-2011, 10:06 PM
So what happened to her anyway? I thought she switched to Callaghan and I remember that her jumps weren't as consistent as they used to be. But after that season she just stopped all together? Was it injuries? What career ending injury did she have?

Sylvia
04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
From today's article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110412&content_id=17680580&vkey=ice_news

Back home in Maryland in the summer of 2009, she hurt her right knee when she pulled out of a triple Axel attempt on a crowded rink. After skating on the injury for too long, she consulted a doctor.

"I had dislocated my knee cap, and had really bad tendonitis from it, and the tendonitis never really went away," she said. "So that was that."

Meissner hoped to compete last season (2009-2010), but her knee injury made landing the Lutz and flip jumps too tough. Instead, she ramped up her education.

"I wanted to focus on school, catch up with that," she said. "I have different goals now. I still really love skating, but competition, I'm not sure. I'm not on the ice as much right now."

Whatever the future brings, Meissner looks back on her world and national titles with joy and pride.

"I think about it now, and wow, that's a lot of stuff," she said. "It happened to me when I was so young.

"It was easy to balance high school and skating. Now, to balance a college schedule and training -- and also my job -- it's hard. When I do something, I like to focus on it 150%."

Aussie Willy
04-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for posting the link.

Good on her for where she is heading in her life. And nice that she is keeping in with skating. She has always struck me as a very hard working and dedicated person.

Jenna
04-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Kimmie is a World Champion, and nobody can ever take that away from her! I hope whatever she pursues brings her success and joy.

Can't wait to her at Skate for Love on Sat!

Sylvia
04-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Both Kimmie and Emily tweeted this pic of themselves with Emily's brother, Matt Hughes, after the "Skate for Love" show on Saturday night: http://twitpic.com/4luk98

ETA: There are other pics of these 2 in Icenetwork's photo gallery for this show -- linked from this post in the "Skate for Love" thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3142084&postcount=11

pinky166
04-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Both Kimmie and Emily tweeted this pic of themselves with Emily's brother, Matt Hughes, after the "Skate for Love" show on Saturday night: http://twitpic.com/4luk98

Nice pic, they both look so pretty! Kimmie still looks soo young though, can't believe she's 21!

paskatefan
04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
What a beautiful pic! :encore: