PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever dreamed of being like the Elite Skaters or Competitors you have seen?

Pages : [1] 2

FSWer
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Ok...I myself have always thought about this. So I thought it would make a great topic. What I thought I'd ask today is if any of us here have ever dreamed about becoming or being like the Elite Skaters (like at Nationals) or at least the Freestyle Competitors (like at the Nutmeg Games) that we have seen at Competitions and what-not? I myself surely have dreamed and wished I could at least be like # 2....and here's why. I sometimes just feel and wish when I see and even meet these kids that I could be right in their place and skate just as well as they can. Especailly since I have found some of them to be very,very nice. I have even made friends with some. What about you all?

skatefan
02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I haven't thought about being any particular skater, but when I am listening to music on the radio or cd in the car or at home, I can imagine myself skating to the music doing all kinds of edges and moves in the field and spirals and steps even though I can't skate :) I would love to be able to do those moves, or if it's not me, then I wish I could choreograph a skating programme for someone :)

Cheylana
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Fun topic! :) Like skatefan, I sometimes fancy myself skating a short program while listening to certain classical pieces. Realistically I'm too old to be skating at an elite level ;) and quite frankly I'm not sure I would have had the inner drive to advance up the ranks... but it's fun to fantasize a little bit.

semogal
02-25-2011, 11:45 PM
Of course! When I was little I pretended I was Peggy Fleming as I "skated" on my Mom's freshly waxed wood floors in my socks! More recently, I dreamed about Charlie White after seeing him at a SOI show last spring! (he is just so darn cute).

victoriaheidi
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I'm always trying to "cut" programs out of music-I can totally see myself skating and pushing my way through the ranks. I'm 17, so I don't see it happening, but you never know-maybe I'll be an adult competitor! :)

dinakt
02-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Of course! When I was little I pretended I was Peggy Fleming as I "skated" on my Mom's freshly waxed wood floors in my socks! More recently, I dreamed about Charlie White after seeing him at a SOI show last spring! (he is just so darn cute).

Cool. When I was little, I pretended I was Irina Rodnina, and threw myself on the floor doing my version of a death spiral.
Nowadays... It's not that a dream of being any particular skater, but I certainly ponder what it takes to get to elite level, and sport psychology is interesting to me.

Flying Camel
02-26-2011, 04:20 AM
I don't think of myself as being a particular skater, but I do think of myself as being a great skater. I have wonderful technique and beautiful presentation. Not only that I am a trend setter. I am World Champion. Everyone wants to beat me, but I always come out on top because I always come up with jump combinations that no one else can do. Forever #1:lol:

AxelAnnie
02-26-2011, 04:39 AM
When I am riding my horse I choose either of Tara's oly programs...or Yu-Na's long...and envision their courage...pace myself to the music...and can put side my fear as I jump the jumps.

snoopysnake
02-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Every damn day. Every time I see skating. Every time I hear music.

kwanette
02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
No, but when I hear music, I choreograph a program for a favorite skater.

misskarne
02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Of course. I'd doubt there's a skater in the world that hasn't had that dream.

My situation is unusual; my favourites are all men, none of the women particularly stand out to me (although I think the major reason I steer well clear of Yuna Kim or Mao Asada is their legions of fans). So it's not quite the same, but it's still there. It's a nice dream to have, a nice little something to envisage on the edge of sleep. I know it won't happen for me - 22 and only just landing my salchow jump is rather late - but maybe there is a little girl or boy out there who shares my dream, who can make it.

And there is music, sometimes when I hear it I imagine myself, or my favourites, skating to it; with my only competitive favourite yet to reveal his competition music for next season and unlikely to before the season, making up programs for him in my head has become quite the pasttime! And I can't help but be drawn to music that my favourites have used. Amongst my presentations to my coach when we were selecting music for this season was Gladiator, Tango Amore, Tosca, and Nijinsky (for the record, we went with Gladiator).

I will always keep my dream, even as the years slip by and it becomes ever more unrealistic; for if we cannot dream, then what do we have? Dreams are the foundations of joy and of love, and without those, the world would be a very dark place.

SmallFairy
02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
No, but when I hear music, I choreograph a program for a favorite skater.

me too!! or my fave imaginary skater lol

RunnersHigh
02-27-2011, 11:55 PM
No, but I dreamed of being a someone like $peedy to reform this sport. :D

dinakt
02-27-2011, 11:57 PM
me too!! or my fave imaginary skater lol

Me three. Have been working on Savchenko/ Szolkowy's new EX just recently :shuffle:

olympic
02-28-2011, 12:45 PM
When I'm working out at the gym and doing a hard repetition of weights, I imagine I'm Midori Ito going into a triple axel [remember her power to get that height?], trying to uncork all that energy for an explosion of movement! :lol: or :o

Slightly OT, judging by all your body types and your mind set, what type of competitor would you be?