PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 World Ladies' Bronze medallist...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

victoriaheidi
02-21-2011, 04:02 AM
I agree with this, for the most part...Czisny has demonstrated newfound competence, and even with her just-OK showing at 4CC, shows that even if she's not perfect, she can still challenge for top 6/7 spot and keep us in the running for 3 spots. And Flatt has shown that GPF was just an aberration, rather than the beginning of a downward spiral (I still think she should have WD, but that's over and done with).

Nagasu strikes me as extremely emotional and performs based on what mood she is currently in. If she's not feeling it, she will literally mail it in. But if she is, she is absolutely the best skater we have. Not sure I want someone like that on the world team until she can get her nerves under control.

Agreed:
1. Czisny wowed me at Nats. And she really is one of the most artistic skaters out there right now.
2. Flatt screwed up at one competition due to injury and has worked to prove that she screwed up at one competition.
[Although I am 100% with the people who say that Slaughter is a lousy program.]
3. Nagasu wowed me last night. Sadly, the whole thing was badly-timed. She's very much an emotional skater, so when she's on, she's on, but she certainly isn't always on.

I just hope that Alissa/Rachael can bring back the three spots.

Triple Butz
02-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Mirai knows perfectly well that US Nationals is the critical competition for qualifying -- think of last year when she ended up on the Olympic team ahead of Ashley Wagner despite Ashley having made it to the GP Final when nobody else did among the US Women. Ashley was crushed.

Mirai made her own bed by failing to work hard in the months up to Nationals, and Frank as much as said so.

I don't understand how people can justify a decision based on what skaters supposedly do in practice. Frank is notorious for not crying fowl when his skaters lose because he believes it makes them better competitors and I think that's a good strategy. For the judges and the fans, however, all we have to go on is what actually went down in competition. The judging between Flatt and Nagasu was downright ludicrous, especially in the PCS department. Everyone loves to harp on Mirai's missed spin while failing to mention that she also landed 5 triples with only one >. Flatt's program, on the other hand had its share of sloppy jump errors. Even when the jumps are on, I think everyone would admit that that program is an atrocity. How many boopty doopty do's can you fit into 4 minutes? Even so she got higher PCS than Mirai in both phases of the competition. Can somebody please explain that one to me, using the CoP Criteria for PCS? Not just gut reactions?

neptune
02-21-2011, 04:28 AM
2. Flatt screwed up at one competition due to injury and has worked to prove that she screwed up at one competition.

Even Phil Hersh is finally catching on. From his latest column:

"To the surprise of many, Rachael Flatt gave a rather creditable performance at the Four Continents competition in Taipei yesterday. After learning of this, I have decided that if she had enrolled at Stanford for winter quarter, as I so sagaciously (and magnanimously) suggested, that just might have been a mistake for her. (But, hey, folks, she could still prove me wrong. That's why I italicized the word "might." Get it?) At the very least, perhaps she should wait until after Worlds before touching down in Palo Alto. (But just to be safe, it really couldn't hurt for her to start checking out airline fares at travelocity.com soon.) As for Alissa Czisny, I hope she's aware that Bowling Green State offers some fine graduate programs."

;)

Seriously, I wonder how Phil is going to digest the latest results. Maybe he'll need a bit of Pepto-Bismol. :D

olympic
02-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Top Season's Best Scores among those who are likely to be going to Worlds:

201.34 Miki ANDO JPN Four Continents Championships 2011
196.30 Mao ASADA JPN Four Continents Championships 2011
180.75 Alissa CZISNY USA ISU GP Final 2010/2011
180.31 Rachael FLATT USA Four Continents Championships 2011
178.60 Carolina KOSTNER ITA ISU GP Final 2010/2011
178.59 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN ISU GP Final 2010/2011
169.74 Kiira KORPI FIN ISU GP Trophee Eric Bompard 2010
165.00 Ksenia MAKAROVA RUS ISU GP Skate Canada International
163.14 Cynthia PHANEUF CAN Four Continents Championships 2011
154.31 Alena LEONOVA RUS European Championships 2011 29.01.2011
153.71 Valentina MARCHEI ITA ISU GP Cup of Russia 2010

Even if one assumes that Kim and Lepistö will do well and that Kostner and Murakami will have new Season's Best scores at Worlds, the U.S. team is in the thick of things. Both Czisny and Flatt are medal contenders, and there is a good chance that the U.S. will get a third spot for next year's worlds.

Eh. Did I miss something? Is Lepisto competing? Thought she was out for the season....

RD
02-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Not necessarily. The ISU has been accused of being behind the times, so they're trying to change all that. For a limited number of participants, telecommuting was recently sanctioned as a valid option by the ISU Congress. So, the bronze medalist at this year's Worlds, whoever she may be, will either be phoning in her performance or submitting it electronically. If the latter, I sure hope she has a high-speed connection. ;)

Perhaps she will be tweeting it in instead. ;)

neptune
02-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Perhaps she will be tweeting it in instead. ;)

Oops, I forgot--yes, they approved that option too! :lol:

Sample tweets:

just landed a triple-triple. those dimwits, er, NICE judges, had better give me extra points!

oops, fell on a triple lutz. nope, scratch that, did not. never happened!!!

Squibble
02-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Eh. Did I miss something? Is Lepisto competing? Thought she was out for the season....

I'm not sure. She is studying at the Aalto University School of Economics and was injured, but I thought she was holding out the possibility of competing at Worlds.

RumbleFish
02-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Despite what some posters say, Mirai will likely be watching the Worlds on TV just like most of us.
I cordially invite her to do PBPs on FSU. It would be so much fun to hear her spunky commentaries.

Jenna
02-21-2011, 05:47 AM
I nominate Mirai Nagasu as Universal Sports' guest commentator for Worlds. That would be fun. :)

berthesghost
02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
The 2011 World Ladies' Bronze medallist...
is staying home.

Man, is US Skating in trouble in Tokyo.Hey! Just because Jeremy is a lyrical "artistic" skater, doesn't mean he skates like a girl!

Yes, it's sad that he was left off the team, and that Ryan has no hope of even getting close to the podium, but US men had only 2 spots back in the Scott Davies days, and I'm sure they will rebound again once the youngins find their stride and the old folkies retire, and mean it this time.
:P

leafygreens
02-21-2011, 02:29 PM
[Although I am 100% with the people who say that Slaughter is a lousy program.]

I hate how in every article or commentary about Rachael they always say "This program is to Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" but they never mention anyone else's music. Is it really necessary to keep beating us over the head with it? Ugh.. slaughter. A gross word and a gross program.

Even when the jumps are on, I think everyone would admit that that program is an atrocity. How many boopty doopty do's can you fit into 4 minutes?

Yes, yes, yes.

Sasha'sSpins
02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
is staying home.

Man, is US Skating in trouble in Tokyo.

I love Mirai, she's my favorite skater currently competing but how come you assume she would have won bronze at Worlds? :confused: You have a crystal ball? True-she's beaten Flatt at the big events such as Olympics, and Worlds last year, and now at 4CCs she beat Flatt again, and Czisny-but Worlds 2011 is a whole new competition, a whole new year.

olympic
02-21-2011, 03:45 PM
I wish the USFSA would use other criteria besides Nats to select the team. Perhaps a combo of Nats and 4CCs:

A decade ago, when Russia was top-heavy w/ Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Soldatova, Volchkova, Sokolova, they used a combination of Russian Nats and Euros to determine the team. In either 2000 or 2001, Volchkova beat Soldatova for the Bronze at Russian Nats, and Soldatova beat Volchkova at the GPF and was a world bronze medalist from '99, so the Russian Fed. asked Vika to prove herself again at Euros to make sure, because it was very close between Soldatova and her.

Japan used a combo of GPF and Nats in '06.

Back long ago when I'd watch US Gymnastics, they used a lot more criteria than just the Olympic Trials.

Lanna
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Back long ago when I'd watch US Gymnastics, they used a lot more criteria than just the Olympic Trials.

Which has resulted in approximately 3.5 million injuries and destroyed careers based on the Karolyis' Imperial whims.

victoriaheidi
02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I hate how in every article or commentary about Rachael they always say "This program is to Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" but they never mention anyone else's music. Is it really necessary to keep beating us over the head with it? Ugh.. slaughter. A gross word and a gross program.

Right? I don't like the music OR the program. EoE proved to me that Rachael can do so much more-why in the world did she pick this music? Plus, I'm highly superstitious and I KNOW that they call this piece "the kiss of death" because no one has ever won a gold medal with it...so why? Just WHY?