PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 World Ladies' Bronze medallist...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

RD
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I think Mirai has better potential and skills than both: Alissa & Rachael, but we have to remember that they are able to beat her, especially when she doesn't skate her best.

True

Jammers
03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't have much hope for the US ladies getting back the 3rd spot for next year. Alissa still seems shaky and Rachel is well Rachel. Solid but uninspiring.

l'etoile
03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
well, I'd say that declaring Mirai be the bronze medalist for sure sounds a little bit of a stretch, but, I guess many people are already saying that, so...lol

Originally Posted by Extranjera
I think Mirai has better potential and skills than both: Alissa & Rachael, but we have to remember that they are able to beat her, especially when she doesn't skate her best.

I'll definitely remember her performances at the olympics and 4cc at this season. She sure does something special when she's on.

olympic
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't have much hope for the US ladies getting back the 3rd spot for next year. Alissa still seems shaky and Rachel is well Rachel. Solid but uninspiring.

You talk about their weak points without noting that they have the 3d and 4th highest scores this season. Who will finish in front of them at Worlds to push them beyond 13 combined pts.?? Yu Na, Mao and Miki obviously, but who else? If Alissa is shaky still, then what should be said about Carolina and Kiira based on their Euros performances? They would be next in line to score higher than Rachael or Alissa, if they can.

RD
03-02-2011, 11:26 PM
High scores aside, the real concern is Czisny bombing like she did at BOTH 2007 and 2009 Worlds. It all depends on her.

Nekatiivi
03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
You talk about their weak points without noting that they have the 3d and 4th highest scores this season. Who will finish in front of them at Worlds to push them beyond 13 combined pts.?? Yu Na, Mao and Miki obviously, but who else? If Alissa is shaky still, then what should be said about Carolina and Kiira based on their Euros performances? They would be next in line to score higher than Rachael or Alissa, if they can.

Kanako Murakami, Laura Lepistö, Ksenia Makarova, Alena Leonova, Cynthia Phaneuf, Carolina Kostner, Kiira Korpi and maybe Elene Gedevanishvili. They all have very good chances to push Alissa and Rachel beyond 13 points. It all cames down to who will stay on their feet.

olympic
03-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Kanako Murakami, Laura Lepistö, Ksenia Makarova, Alena Leonova, Cynthia Phaneuf, Carolina Kostner, Kiira Korpi and maybe Elene Gedevanishvili. They all have very good chances to push Alissa and Rachel beyond 13 points. It all cames down to who will stay on their feet.

Of course there's a 'chance' of all that happening, but how likely is it?

Marco
03-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Assuming Kim, Asada and Ando occupy 3 spots, US will fail to regain its 3rd spot if 3 more girls place ahead of Czisny and Flatt. I would put Murakami, Korpi, Kostner, Lepisto in the 'likely' list. Fortunately the Russians don't seem to be skating very well lately.

olympic
03-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Assuming Kim, Asada and Ando occupy 3 spots, US will fail to regain its 3rd spot if 3 more girls place ahead of Czisny and Flatt. I would put Murakami, Korpi, Kostner, Lepisto in the 'likely' list. Fortunately the Russians don't seem to be skating very well lately.

I think you must be assuming failure on the part of the US ladies, while also assuming that Murakami and the Euro ladies will perform well?

Korpi's season's best at TEB is 11 pts. behind Rachael's season's best at 4CCs.

Alissa's 2d worst Intl. performance this season is only 1 pt. behind Korpi's best, and about even with Kostner's Euro's performance.

Czisny beat a clean Kostner and mostly clean Murakami at the GPF two months ago.

Lepisto, who does get a lot of luv from the judges, is not really the most consistent performer and will be debuting cold at Worlds w/o even a test skate

RD
03-03-2011, 03:23 AM
^ that also assumes that one judging panel will give them all similar scores, keeping in mind that these were different events with different panels, etc. We've seen enough scoring inconsistency from event to event as it is.

judgejudy27
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Kostner's LP at the GPF was not clean and she wasnt even doing anything harder than a triple loop. Czisny has an even bigger history of inconsistency than Kostner. Kostner is far more likely to improve on her GPF performances than Czisny is.

I dont get the idea that it is "unlikely" for Kostner to place higher than Czisny and Flatt. She usually does over the years.

You never know with Korpi but after Europeans she might be due for a better competition again. Like Czisny she has been more consistent than in the past but not totally consistent still. The judges love Korpi so she will definitely beat Flatt if both skate well. Czisny it is harder to say but again Czisny is just as inconsistent as Korpi.

And there are lots of other spoilers too. The Americans could get 3 spots for next year but I would say it is 50-50. Personally I think a U.S team of Czisny and Nagasu was a much better bet for that but we will see. Flatt's placement as always will depend more on the performances of her competitors than her own. She controls only some of her destiny as far as placing, unlike Czisny and Nagasu who have more control on their own.

olympic
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Kostner's LP at the GPF was not clean and she wasnt even doing anything harder than a triple loop. Czisny has an even bigger history of inconsistency than Kostner. Kostner is far more likely to improve on her GPF performances than Czisny is.

I dont get the idea that it is "unlikely" for Kostner to place higher than Czisny and Flatt. She usually does over the years.

You never know with Korpi but after Europeans she might be due for a better competition again. Like Czisny she has been more consistent than in the past but not totally consistent still. The judges love Korpi so she will definitely beat Flatt if both skate well. Czisny it is harder to say but again Czisny is just as inconsistent as Korpi.

And there are lots of other spoilers too. The Americans could get 3 spots for next year but I would say it is 50-50. Personally I think a U.S team of Czisny and Nagasu was a much better bet for that but we will see. Flatt's placement as always will depend more on the performances of her competitors than her own. She controls only some of her destiny as far as placing, unlike Czisny and Nagasu who have more control on their own.

I watched Kostner's performances at Euros just recently for the first time. She did attempt a 3flip as her first jumping pass in the LP, but stepped out of it so she doesn't have anything harder than a 3loop consistent as it stands right now, along with all the splats [x2 in the SP; x1 in the LP, along with the aforementioned flip]. I'm not sure how much further she can move up with all that in mind.

Re Flatt, she can still move up with a 3-3 in both the SP and LP. Not saying it's a sure thing but with her 4CC's performances, I'd say it's the last hurdle. She's been cleanly practicing 3-3s since Nats that I'm aware of, so you have a strongly consistent skater who's moving strongly in the right direction. She also did herself a huge favor by chucking that 'Summertime' SP for EoE.

judgejudy27
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Her new SP is a big improvement. Too bad she didnt chack both programs around that time. Her LP is still a big drag and will not get good PCS from international judges, they will continue to be lower than even Murakami.

RD
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
May have been too much to ditch both? If she had to choose one, she definitely made the right choice to jettison the SP.

npavel
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I watched Kostner's performances at Euros just recently for the first time. She did attempt a 3flip as her first jumping pass in the LP, but stepped out of it so she doesn't have anything harder than a 3loop consistent ....

you can't take the Euro competition to compare with 4CC. After the warm up, none of the skaters (not only ladies) was warm, all had jackets over the dress. After a few minutes skating, they wasn't feeling their lags, it was almost impossible to breath and the pairs had issues doing the lifts. I'm not sure the 4CC ladies had done it so much better than Euroladies with the same problems. So you have to take in consideration that they will do better.
Kostner had a really beautiful 2A3T, witch is much harder than a solo 3F