PDA

View Full Version : US Stars on Ice tour (Feb. 18-April 9, 2011): articles, reports, photos, etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RD
03-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone! Can't wait until tomorrow. Will be giving live impressions, pics, etc. via twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/mz734_FS), and of course will post my own thoughts on the show here later.

Sylvia
03-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Many thanks to all the reviewers so far!

Is anyone planning to attend the fundraiser before the DC show tomorrow?
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77583
Would be interested in hearing a report.

Wyliefan
03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Maybe because Gordeeva is stunningly gorgeous??? I don't know if Tanith will have the same affect when she reaches Gordeeva's age. Tanith is more Barbie doll (fake) pretty, whereas Gordeeva is naturally beautiful.

I think Katia's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in real life (as opposed to someone like Audrey Hepburn that I've only seen on a screen). But Tanith is beautiful too, just in a different way. Having a different style of beauty doesn't make one "fake" pretty.

Teenes
03-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Having been face to face with both Tanith and Katia, they're both gorgeous women. Tanith is taller than I expected, too! And so sweet.

Loved the show in Boston last night. I haven't shelled out the dough for on-ice seats in ages, but I'm so glad I did in Boston, given the nice closeup view I got of Scott and Geoffrey Tyler. And...not to give away my secret identity, but if anyone got pictures of the ball of hair sitting on-ice that Kurt pulled up and mauled right before Tanith came out in "Knock, Knock!" please let me know? To my embarrassment, that was me whose hair he totally messed up ;).

Scott looked so happy to be out there on the ice talking to the crowd. Geoffrey Tyler sounded FANTASTIC live, IMO. Live performances can sometimes be subpar to a post-processed recording, but he sounded excellent. And his intimate familiarity with the song meant he got the timing perfect with the voiceover, faded out when he needed to, and really let loose and belted at the end. Plus, that Canadian boy was of course on skates (impressed he could belt without knocking himself off his feet ;) ), and could be found at various corners of the arena at different points in the song.

The skater tribute in Boston was to Tuffy, and was given by Scott. She was way across the arena and up in the stands so I couldn't see her that clearly (and neither could the spotlight guy) but she looked really touched by what Scott said about her. So awesome that she was there.

I have to say, not looking through my camera did increase my appreciation of some of the numbers - the subtlety and flow of On Golden Pond, Katia's speed and soundless skating (and I am warming slightly to her programs), Evan's extremely committed drama and passion in "Roxanne"... And I made myself only take a few photos of Downstream and found myself completely captivated by Kurt's skating. And after his jump mishaps in Providence, it was really nice to see him solidly land his triple when he was supposed to in Steppin' Out, and another one very clean and right in front of me in the finale. Sasha's hair threw me off especially since it wasn't short the night before! She looks very '20s. I'm still adjusting to the look.

Overall, it was a great show last night in Boston. The skaters look like they're having so much fun out there.

skamper23
03-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Teenes are you by any chance a blonde? LOL

I was also in Boston....we had major traffic jams getting into and out of Boston on a Friday night :mad: I love SOI, but not sure we would do that again...our 3 hour trip one way was an extra hour long...thank god the show started at 7:30 and not 7! Lots of people were late.....some as late as intermission....I feel bad for people who missed half the show, but late comers are annoying while trying to find their seats in the dark arena. It was so distracting!

The show itself was AMAZING! It has changed a bit from Opening night in Lake Placid...all for the better though!!! I noticed a few costume changes since then as well. My guess is this: Sasha and Tanith had red dresses for their numbers, but the finale is all red, so maybe they changed their costumes due to being too much red in one show?? Joannie's also changed her costume for her 2nd program and its beautiful pink with lots of sparkles. Katia now has two numbers, which are fabulous, and there is a new group number in the first half that was just wonderful!! I believe the running order has changed a bit since opening night too.

I just love the opening number this year...I really like they way they intro the skaters in the number....esp. KURT, he's out there doing fancy footwork with all the skaters lined up behind him coming down the ice...it's my favorite part of the opening number! Kudos to whom ever came up with that!! (last night when they did this...at the end, the line of skaters make a turn and John Zimmerman almost wiped out, but caught himself)

Speaking of John thank goodness he and Kyoko are back...they fill in perfectly for S/P in all group number and Kyoko looked really happy to be out there...smiling from ear to ear!!! They re-vamped their Pretty Vegas number..new costumes too..they are so high energy and exciting to watch. I still love their candle lift!! No fly high say bye, but still lots of other things going on, and that head banger :eek: WOW.

Todd had a very unusual fall while jumping...his whole body was down on the ice and he slide near the edge, but popped right up and carried on...it was in his That's Life program...his scratch spins are still fantastic and barrel rolls and split jumps...he's still skating strong!!

I really like Mike's Beatbox Harmonica. It's really unique and he owns it!

I really enjoyed seeing Kurt's Stepping out...sung live by Geoffrey Tyler...Geoffrey stayed by the tunnel to sing at first, but then skated down the ice so he could throw Kurt the top hat and cane when it came time!

It was awesome to have Scott hosting, just like Lake Placid, he and Kurt had some cute banter on ice and Scott came out to Intro Kurt"s last number of the night. He also came out to say that Tuffy was in the house tonight and spoke about her in SOI. I expected him to come back out at the finale, but he didn't.

During the finale Joannie went to greet on ice people, before it was time and all the other skaters started pointing at her and giggling and when she realized it she came back to the other skaters and John gave her a big hug and laughed. It was cute! The whole show was over way to quickly for me!! I know it was over 2 hours long, but it just flew by!!

Teenes
03-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Nope not a blonde... I forgot Kurt "dances" with more than one person in that number. I was in the section Joannie prematurely went to, actually. Closer to the piano. It was really funny because she was so sweet and thanking everyone and completely oblivious to her fellow skaters looking for her and then pointing and laughing when they found her. In fact it might have been me laughing and repeatedly looking past her at the other skaters that clued her in. Poor Joannie! Good laugh though...

RD
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Many thanks to all the reviewers so far!

Is anyone planning to attend the fundraiser before the DC show tomorrow?
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77583
Would be interested in hearing a report.

Sylvia, I plan on attending. Hopefully the M&G is finished before things get underway.

midori
03-06-2011, 02:05 AM
And...not to give away my secret identity, but if anyone got pictures of the ball of hair sitting on-ice that Kurt pulled up and mauled right before Tanith came out in "Knock, Knock!" please let me know?
:lol:

And...in Portland in the same part of the program, if anyone got pictures of Kurt, a banner, and a woman whom Kurt summoned to the rink side and got almost fainted, please let me know?

I went to the shows in Seattle and Portland last week, and I am trying to write something about them, but I still feel just overwhelmed. I really enjoyed them.

skamper23
03-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Nope not a blonde... I forgot Kurt "dances" with more than one person in that number. I was in the section Joannie prematurely went to, actually. Closer to the piano. It was really funny because she was so sweet and thanking everyone and completely oblivious to her fellow skaters looking for her and then pointing and laughing when they found her. In fact it might have been me laughing and repeatedly looking past her at the other skaters that clued her in. Poor Joannie! Good laugh though...

Yes poor Joannie! :rofl: it was a cute moment though!! I love when things like that happen! I did see Kurt dance with someone who had very long blonde hair and when you said "ball of hair" I thought maybe that was you, although somehow I didn't think you were blonde! I was on the opposite side as you just off center ice in row 3, Very near where Todd fell in his That's Life program!

Was there another skater in the audience besides Tuffy, because when the spot light guy was looking for her some people were pointing and saying.."She's right there" and Scott said that's not the one I'm looking for, but I couldn't see who it was from where i was.

paskatefan
03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the additional reviews. Loved hearing about the Boston show. :encore: Sorry to hear about all the traffic hassles.

Teenes
03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I couldn't see that clearly either b/c it was too far away but it didn't look like a skater. Then again, I couldn't really tell it was Tuffy until he said so, and then I recognized her. I'm pretty sure they don't just skip over past SOI skaters - seems like they've acknowledged multiple ones at past shows...

midori - did Kurt pull you up at that same part of the "Young Blood" number?

joemauerlover
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know about how long the act 1 finale and beginning of act 2 parts are. I am trying to plan out how many memory cards I need to take with me, since I focus more on doing videos, than pictures.

Thanks!

skamper23
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Act 1 finale is longer than the Act 2 opening......Act 2 opening is only two songs long as I recall, but Act 1 finale has a few more...maybe even 4 or 5 songs....I"m not sure on exact minutes though...Hope that helps.

Teenes, I thought maybe there was a skater there that had not been in SOI, like maybe JZ's wife Silvia or since we were in Boston, I thought maybe Nancy Kerrigan might be there, just guessing...when I was at Riverdance on Ice n Lowell, MA Nancy K. and Michelle Kwan hosted and talked about how they both lived close by...I just thought there would be more "skater sightings" in the crowd, but I didn't see any..LOL

Wyliefan
03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Back from the D.C. show! My friend and I had a blast. There wasn't a number I didn't enjoy this year. And it was lovely to have old-timers like Katia and Kurt back. Kurt especially was terrific; I loved that "Steppin' Out" number where he commented through the whole thing. Our seats were fantastic -- second row from the ice -- and I got some good pictures.

And Sasha's new 'do looks much better than it did in yesterday's photo. :) The pouf or wave or whatever it was is gone, and it's all curly. No more soccer mom look. I still prefer it longer, but it's cute. On the other hand -- and I can hardly believe I'm saying this, because I've always liked whatever she did with her hair before -- Katia's hair color doesn't work for her at all. In pictures it looks fine, but when you see her up close, the blonde washes her out terribly. I hope she changes it soon.

Only two falls tonight -- Katia in her second program and Sasha in her first. Sasha gets Best Spin of the Night, though! She seemed so relieved to get through all the jumps in her "Mein Herr" program that she just went crazy with the rest of it, and finished up with a scratch spin that was sheer dynamite.

And . . . ! She shook my hand at the end! She was the skater who came to our section to shake hands, and everyone in front of me had left, so I leaned way out over the front row and stuck out my hand and she shook it. :swoon: It was really loud in there with the music and the cheering, so although I screamed "YOU WERE AWESOME!" at her, I'm not sure she heard. :lol: Still, it was really cool.

ETA: Oh, and the former SOI skater in the audience tonight was Elena Bechke. She was sitting way on the other side of the rink and I couldn't get a very good look at her, though.

Yazmeen
03-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Any pictures of Sasha's new "do?"