PDA

View Full Version : US Stars on Ice tour (Feb. 18-April 9, 2011): articles, reports, photos, etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

moebius
03-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm excited to see Gordeeva back, my eye is always drawn to her when she is on the ice (same with Tanith, for whatever reason).

Maybe because Gordeeva is stunningly gorgeous??? I don't know if Tanith will have the same affect when she reaches Gordeeva's age. Tanith is more Barbie doll (fake) pretty, whereas Gordeeva is naturally beautiful.

WildRose
03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Kurt Browning article and video of the full SOI opening number from Lake Placid:
http://www.expressnightout.com/content/2011/03/kurt-browning-stars-on-ice-verizon-center.php

IceAlisa
03-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Maybe because Gordeeva is stunningly gorgeous??? I don't know if Tanith will have the same affect when she reaches Gordeeva's age. Tanith is more Barbie doll (fake) pretty, whereas Gordeeva is naturally beautiful.

I've found out that Gordeeva's technique is so phenomenal that I'd rather look at her stroking around the rink rather than quite a few other skaters doing jumps, lifts and such. It's a thing of beauty, something that has to be seen live to be truly appreciated.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
IceAlisa, great post and that explains why I loved Katia's new number Nine number. With her skating she can make something work that probably wouldn't have with most other skaters. She looks amazing.

I can't change people's minds about Tanith's "fake" beauty but while it's true that she almost is never seen without being fully made up I think she will probably age well. Look at her mom and earlier in her career she was still beautiful and she didn't wear as much makeup.

It's nice to see I&Z back together again.

Kathryn2001
03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm a consistent lurker on FSU and rarely post, BUT perhaps a few skating fans would like a complimentary ticket to see SOI in DC, March 6. I have a friend who arranges complimentary tickets for me each year. I am informed by her that there are 4 tickets available (I thought only 2) and my daughter is unable to go, which leaves 3 unused tickets. I plan to use one of them. If you are interested you can contact me at bkyeates at yahoo.com
Kathryn

WildRose
03-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Portland Tribune show review:
http://portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=129910282762042200

Skate Talker
03-03-2011, 05:16 AM
wrong thread, sorry.

NinjaTurtles
03-03-2011, 01:48 PM

I've found out that Gordeeva's technique is so phenomenal that I'd rather look at her stroking around the rink rather than quite a few other skaters doing jumps, lifts and such. It's a thing of beauty, something that has to be seen live to be truly appreciated.

I'm not sure it necessarily a matter of physical beauty, which yes of course Gordeeva and Tanith are quite beautiful, but more their presence on the ice. Surely Gordeeva's presence is largely a function of her superior technique, but I would still venture to say she has an "it" quality that additionally draws the eye to her during group numbers.

Similarly, I know Tanith has met her fair share of criticism over the years for her technique and perkistani style; but IMO she is very well suited to show skating and consistently draws my attention in group numbers.

On a whole, I'd say BelGosto are a more creative and interesting team to watch during shows/exhibitions. I think their style and artistic direction is easier for them to translate with the freedom those skating formats offer.

RD
03-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Similarly, I know Tanith has met her fair share of criticism over the years for her technique and perkistani style; but IMO she is very well suited to show skating and consistently draws my attention in group numbers.

It was her joy & charisma on the ice that drew my attention to her last year.

NinjaTurtles
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
It was her joy & charisma on the ice that drew my attention to her last year.

Eys!

Teenes
03-04-2011, 04:55 AM
This is sort of a super last minute shot in the dark attempt to get rid of an extra ticket, but one of my friends who was supposed to come to the Boston show Friday night had a last minute health issue and can't make it. We're now stuck with an extra on-ice seat. It cost $150 but we'll take best offer... If you're interested in a single on-ice seat to the Boston show, email me at webmaster@kurtfiles.com.

Also, just went to the Providence show tonight. I love Tanith and Ben in the group numbers and their own numbers - they both bring a ton of personality and acting and sheer joy of skating to the ice. I don't watch much eligible skating so I don't know if Tanith was weaker in that department as a competitor, but she's a wonderful show skater. Katia's skating is beautiful, I just don't like her music choices this year. John & Kyoko only skated one number, and it was an old one - they did their Pretty Vegas (by INXS) number, which was a huge hit with the crowd. I think they may actually have gotten one of the only standing ovations of the night. Otherwise, they took S&P's part in all the group numbers, including the "On Golden Pond" one in act I. The crowd was quite decent and really enthusiastic, which was fun.

I'm really looking forward to the Boston show tomorrow night. Scott Hamilton is supposed to be there to host the show live, and Kurt's friend Geoffrey Tyler will be there to sing the "Steppin' Out" song live while Kurt skates (he's the one who rewrote the lyrics, helped Kurt with the choreography, and sang it for him in the recording). Sounds like a special show!

RD
03-04-2011, 04:59 AM
Kurt's friend Geoffrey Tyler will be [in Boston] to sing the "Steppin' Out" song live while Kurt skates (he's the one who rewrote the lyrics, helped Kurt with the choreography, and sang it for him in the recording).

he supposedly will be in DC too. Awesome!

skamper23
03-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I'll be heading out later today to the Boston show. Teenes thanks for the info on Kyoko and John...I was dying to know what they would be skating to! Should be a great show tonight with Scott hosting and Geoffrey Tyler singing while Kurt skates!!!

Ajax
03-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Just came back from the Boston show... It was great! Really enjoyed it. Some random impressions:

-As others have said Katia's basic skating is just incredible. Soooo smooth, words don't do it justice. Really has to be seen live. That said I thought her programs didn't really have anything interesting choreographically and I thought her new hair color didn't suit her.

-Surprisingly, Sasha was one of my least favorites. She doesn't really project to the audience and skates very "inwards". She definitely got one of the biggest audience reactions though. She's cut all her hair off! i didn't think the pixie look suited her - she doesn't exactly have a womanly figure anyway and the hair really made her look like a boy in a dress from afar.

-Evan's line, speed and basic skating were nothing special. But he has a lot of command and great fast spins. His loooong limbs create an interesting look on the ice. I found his moves to be very sharp and his programs had good choreography, although the Roxanne number in particular was a bit too fake dramatiks with all the head flinging and chest thumping :drama:

-I&Z only had one number. We wuzrobbed of PJZ! :mitchell: During their number, right when he was going into his pivot for the death spiral, he looked up into the audience and gave us the sexiest grin. I think I just about melted. :rollin: On a less shallow note, my favorite part of watching skating live are the lifts and twists. It's pretty awesome to see a guy speeding down the ice with a woman elegantly balanced on his outstretched arm 8 feet off the ground.

-Joannie's first program to "True Colors" was absolutely lovely, with very intricate choreography. I am so jealous of her body, the girl is totally ripped. I could see her back muscles from fifteen rows up.

-Both of Kurt's numbers were amazing. He looks like nobody else on the ice. Very personal, instantly recognizable style. During his first number his friend sang the song live. He has a pretty great voice!

-There was a small group number with Kurt, Todd and Sasha where they flew a kite around the ice - maybe it was the music but it felt really magical.

snoopysnake
03-05-2011, 04:20 PM
DH and I went to the meet & greet followed by the show in Boston last night. We were allowed to sit in the top rows to watch practices while waiting until time came to meet the skaters. Sasha (in her new short haircut) and Joannie were out there and were followed by Katia, Tanith & Ben, Kyoko & John, and Kurt. We could also see Scott at rinkside chatting with the skaters and show crew. The rink was boardless, so we were excited at the prospect of wonderful, unobstructed skating views that we’d have from our “on-ice” seats.

Then the SOI woman led the fan club group down to wait to meet Sasha, Joannie, and Todd. To our great delight, Scott Hamilton came over to greet each of us while we were in line! I made sure to tell Scott, “This is my husband, who was born exactly one day before you,” and Scott added, “and Michael Jackson the day after that.” “Right!” we replied. Two great trios, IMHO, Sasha/Joannie/Todd, and DH/Scott/Michael Jackson!

We were all given blue SOI photo frames which Todd, Sasha, and Joannie signed in succession while seated behind a table. Then they posed for photos together and then posed with us. I posted in this thread (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77806&page=2)about Sasha and her remarks on her new hairstyle.

The show did not disappoint, nor did the viewing potential of our seats, but the Agganis security definitely did. During the first several numbers of the show, people were allowed to walk directly in front of us to get to seats while skaters were performing. Worse, several times one of the usherwomen led groups of 5-10 people in a parade right past us to bring them to wherever their seats were. They should have been taken upstairs and back down again to their proper section. The usher also came over several times to check on whether people who came to sit in the first few rows in back of us were sitting in their own seats. Finally I glared at her and said “Would you please stop parading in front of us? It’s driving us crazy!” I spoke to her during the intermission, explaining that it was incredibly rude and unfair to those of us who had paid $blank blank for these premium seats to constantly have people walking in front of us obstructing our view. I said that we were not getting our money’s worth from this show because of that. She agreed but said she was in a bind because she had camera duty (i.e. preventing flash.) Well, I’m glad I spoke to her because the second half of the show was pretty free of those annoyances. A plus of the ice seating was getting to greet the skaters (our section got hellos and handshakes from Todd, and then everyone circled the ice to high-five those next to the ice.) I think I got to touch all of them, with the possible exception of Evan, who really had the screaming girls in fine form last night, perhaps to compensate for him missing Boston last year due to DWTS. I know that the last skater I touched was PJZ! I assured my husband that PDH is even sexier to me!

So despite the Agganis security problems, it was a great evening. I wish it didn’t have vocals, but I’m still hearing “Tango de Roxanne” in my head as I type this. Thank you, everyone who skated in Stars on Ice!