PDA

View Full Version : US Stars on Ice tour (Feb. 18-April 9, 2011): articles, reports, photos, etc.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

joemauerlover
03-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Act 2, minus Finale.

Opened with everyone wearing the same costumes, and this time Evan is included, since his was the number that was before the Act 1 Finale.

Another fun party number! In my video you can see Katia drop something, maybe an earring or a hair clip, she points it out to Jamie, who picks it up and off they go! Kind of reminded me of Battle of the Blades when Katia dropped the trophy and Jamie helped pick it up, such team work! 

Joannie: Burlesque number, loved it! Her jumping is awesome; she did a triple toe into a triple salchow, no problem!

Loved the clown number with Kurt, Sasha, and Todd. Todd brings out the box that Sashaís in, man she is so tiny to be able to stay in it for that long! I love Todd mimicking Kurt and Kurt getting mad, and fake shooting him!  And then the two guys sit on Sasha!! Whoops! Sasha is so cute in this number, and I love how happy she is with the balloon and then Kurt pops it, and she is so sad! And then Todd is like ďIíll be back!Ē and he comes out with that kite, so cool! And Sasha just lights up! And Kurt tries to distract her while Todd is getting it. And then Kurt almost gets hit by it, so funny. And Sasha is just so entranced by the kite, and then Kurt comes out with all the balloons trying to win her back! Great number.

Katia with her second number! Beautiful sparkly white dress! Whitney Houston song. And another clean double axel, her jumps are so awesome. She did a really cool move in front of us, that I havenít seen her do before; it was like a jump into a glide on the ice. Kind of hard to explain, will post video when I get to it! She also does a leg lift extension move that I see Sasha do a lot, but not Katia. No one has near the flexibility of Sasha, but a very pretty move! And the knee slide, her poor knees must get so cold!  And her slide spiral, love it! And her layback, love her so much, can you tell? 

Michael was next with his Harmonica number, which I really liked. It started with the lighting guy playing the harmonica! Itís nice to see Michael try something different! He does a fake out of his back flip which was funny! Awesome jumps! Love the end move where heís on the ice and flips into his ending pose!

Tanith and Ben:

I preferred her red dress in the telecast to the new white dress! Itís just Tanith in the beginning, and then Ben does a spread eagle around her. Ben does this really cool low kind of sit spin position, very cool! I love there lifts, always have! And then in the middle the vampire ďBenĒ bites Tanith. I love there footwork too, they are so fast and quick! And then at the end Tanith bites him back! And thereís a blood red ribbon that comes out of Benís shirt to emphasize that, especially for those idiots (like me) who have a hard time picking up on the story skaters are trying to tell, Iím always so into the skating skills and in awe of whatís happening on the ice! 

Todd then skated to Neil diamond, and I gotta say it was a typical Todd performance, nothing outrageous, but I love his SPINS! I think he landed a couple triples.

Tanith and Ben had a VERY quick change and were back on the ice for a transition piece to introduce Sasha. They wore the costumes from one of Scottís Disson shows. It was a quick Charleston type piece, and then Ben had a mike and introduced Sasha in a funny voice!

I LOVED Sashaís number to Mein Herr, it was so cute! Nice to see her try something different, and it looked like she had such a blast doing it, and the stuff she did with that hat was crazy, like doing her super high leg lift with her leg holding the hat! She did a single axel at the beginning of the program, and had a bit of trouble with the landing. And then she does her Y spin, which is so unbelievable! But she did do a clean triple salchow!! She does a cute little move where her smile was so BIG; it was nice to see her having so much fun out there. And I love her blurred scratch spin to end the program! Way to go Sasha!

Kurt: What in the world were you wearing??  Silverish gray pants and a shimmery silver top. I like when skaters do different things, but I love funny Kurt, not serious Kurt! But I still love Kurt, if that makes sense?? And he can still jump too!!! He did do a really cool Ina bauer all the way down the rink, with separate push offs, which was cool. And his footwork is CRAZY good!!  I really liked the ending while he was gliding the music stops and then it continues with some piano music and he did another little bit. Love the skate ending fake out, when the audience claps cuz they think itís over, when it really isnít. That was the case in Tanith and Benís vampire program too!

Then Scott came back out on the ice to introduce an SOI Alum in the crowd, and I thought it was going to be Kristi Yamaguchi, cuz she was in town for her book tour, and I knew she was going to be at the show, but then his intro included ďliving in the Twin cities with her three boys!Ē and I was like no that isnít Kristi, cuz she has two girls and married someone who lives in the Twin Cities, so I was super confused until he mentioned Kathleen Schmelz, which I thought was cool that someone in SOI history lives in MN permanently. All I remember of her is in the look back clips that SOI does on TV, and then Scott couldnít find her which was so funny! Heís like ďare you up there, are you yelling?Ē apparently he was told the wrong section, but he did eventually find her and the he introduced Kristi too! And they were sitting next to each other in the section to our right and a couple rows up, wouldíve loved to be sitting next to Kristi Yamaguchi. How cool would that be? I wanted to try and find her after the show, but I am sure she got up before the ending, so she wouldnít get bothered by fans.

Then it was time for Jamie and Davidís SCREAM program, which I was so excited about seeing! LOVE IT! I love the opening, and then they go right into a lift and they do a twist out of it! I think one of the coolest lifts they do is when sheís upside down and straight up! And the other lift they do when sheís on his back in a split and then she transitions with her skates around his neck, how scary!! I love all of their lifts, so crazy! And I love there dance moves and steps! And there handstand lift, which always is a crowd pleaser! David is so cute, and I love Jamie always wanting to get the crowd involved. I notice such odd things, but I love how white Davidís teeth are, such a cute smile! I was so bummed about their split, but glad they are still together to skate and raise their son. If we debated over whose hair cut was cuter Sashaís or Jamieís from a couple years ago, I would definitely say Jamie!!

Evan: Moulin Rouge song, LOVE Moulin Rouge, another great song!! Solid Jumps and Evan of course, all in black! I do love the back spiral he does into the triple flip, solid every time! I do like his footwork, very intricate! During the Lake Placid show others wrote that a female skater was included in this number, and they couldnít tell who it was; no lady was involved in the number in St. Paul, it was probably a change made from Lake Placid.

kittyjake5
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
^Thanks for your detailed report.

Jaana
03-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Joemauerlover, thanks so much for your lovely report!!!

paskatefan
03-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your wonderful report. Love all the details!

joemauerlover
03-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Here's a clip of Kurt and Scott reminisicing on the ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CRng_WnSg

elanor
03-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank you for very interesting review, I couldn't go the show this year but it's nice to read about it.

skamper23
03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Photos from last nights show http://www.justnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/27245611/detail.html

Also a photo of JZ & Silvia with David backstage http://yfrog.com/hsff4qcj

alilou
03-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Ice skating stars visit Central Florida
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110319/LIFE/103190304/-1/news32/Ice-skating-stars-visit-Central-Florida?odyssey=nav|head

Great interview with Tanith and Ben

joemauerlover
03-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Finale and Final Thoughts from St. Paul SOI

Finale, someone said it wonderfully ĎA love hate relationship with the finaleí itís so true! I always love the finales, but hate that the show is almost over, and itís time to go back to the real world.

ďSimply the Best!Ē by Tina Turner and Jimmy Barnes

Starts out with Katia and then Ben comes out and they do a really cool rotational lift together. They exit, and Joannie and Michael, and Jamie and Kurt enter, and pair off together. Jamie and Joannie do split jumps, and the guys do a double jump. And then David enters with Katia and they all do some skating moves down the ice. And then Jamie and David do a lift and a death spiral. And then Tanith and Ben enter and all four of them do a split lift. And while Tanith and Ben do a dance lift, Jamie and David are doing a pairs spin. And then the team of four, and the singles skaters are on opposite sides of the rink and do the same dance moves, until they meet up in the middle and then Kurt and Todd do double jumps. And then Sasha enters with her beautiful spiral. And then the girls are on one side of the rink, and the boys on the other and then Evan does footwork down the length of the ice.

On the telecast from LP, the skaters started to shake hands but at our show, and probably another change since LP, the skaters all skate together to one side of the rink, and then they are in a line and they all do a like turn line, very cool! And then they all separate and do tricks by themselves or with their respective partners, and itís so hard to video them when they all go off! Ahhhh! 

From my video and the NBC show, I caught Sasha, Joannie, and Katia doing double toes, Tanith and Ben in a low position, Jamie and David do there spread eagles, and the guys doing jumps! Too much going on at once!  And then, of course, Michael does his backflip!! The end!

And then they do there bows and after that they all point to us as the music picks up and the vocals sing ďSimply the Best!Ē kinda corny, but I loved it!! I LOVED, absolutely loved the show this year!! And then the skaters start shaking peopleís hands and Kurt Browning comes over to the ladies that he flirted with during the Act 1 finale, and gave her a big hug! So jealous! Everyone is dancing around, especially Katia and David, looks like they all enjoy the show and then the guys bring the ladies some red flowers to match the red sparkly dresses, and there super cute red earrings!! I think Jamie Sale ran around the rink twice shaking as many hands as she could!!  Also from Jamieís twitter sounded like a rough night the night before, because they were in Chicago, doing a Saturday night show, and Chicago is about an 8 hour drive to the Twin Cities, and then we lost the hour cuz of daylight Savings time, they got in at like 6:30 in the morning, and our show was a Sunday afternoon matinee. So thank you to the skaters for such great performances!!! Loved the show. I kind of hope the tour is short again next year, and I donít mean that to be rude to those other cities that they didnít go to, but because maybe Kurt and Katia and Jamie and David might do the tour again next year if there are less shows, and maybe even Scott and/or Kristi, but thatís probably pushing it since Kristi didnít skate this last year. The attendance at St. Paul was pretty bad, which I was so disappointed with, so I hope they come back to us next year, but if not I will totally travel to them! Maybe even to somewhere warm! 

Hope you enjoyed the review, videos are still coming, I had no idea it takes so long to upload. Iím working on the Act 1 Finale right now, so keep checking my YouTube account, joemauerlover! 

Enjoy some pics, mostly of Kristi Yamaguchi signing her book!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=293314&id=510913558&l=17d6f1fb5b

joemauerlover
03-20-2011, 08:09 AM
So I got all of the Act 1 Finale posted, check out my channel for all the links! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/joemauerlover?feature=mhsn

joemauerlover
03-20-2011, 11:40 PM
I finally got Katia's second SOI number up, and the act 2 opener, with her dropping something?!?!? check it out!

Act 2 Opener: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9PRqMtSwWg

Katia's Whitney Houston number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCVYpufwnHY

inthemiddle
03-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Thank you joemauerlover. I love you detailed description of the show and your videos. I saw the show in Anaheim on the beginning of the tour. Some details seem little different in your video which is great that they still working on it to make it better. I loved the show and it is nice to see it again on your video. I already subscribed to your you tube channel :)
Please save your videos somewhere else as many FSU members complained that their private skating videos were removed from youtube and they didn't have a backup. I'll hate if that will happen to you too.

skatesindreams
03-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Ice skating stars visit Central Florida
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110319/LIFE/103190304/-1/news32/Ice-skating-stars-visit-Central-Florida?odyssey=nav|head

Great interview with Tanith and Ben

I couldn't get that link to open.
Here's another: http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110319/LIFE/103190304/Ice-skating-stars-visit-Central-Florida?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s

I don't see anything about skating in my hometown paper very often!

christine_daae
03-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi everyone! I haven't posted in years but attended the St. Paul show and thought you might enjoy seeing my photos. Here they are!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d_aisy/

joemauerlover
03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the tip about the videos, I plan to save them! Great pics christine_daae (love POTO!) We were sitting to your right, you got some great pics! :)