PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

sap5
06-21-2011, 09:02 PM
lol, why do you think she's making it up (not understanding English that is)?

I, and others on this board and other boards she posts on, have seen her write correctly more than once. I remember asking her to clarify something she posted one time, and she replied in perfect English! I've also seen her spell "great" in one post, and spell "greate" in her very next post (often right under her previous post!). I have no idea why she does what she does, but I'm convinced it's not because she does not know how to spell.

Regarding events, do D/W get to pick their events first? I don't think they've done TEB before, so maybe they'd like to go this year?

ETA: Whoops, forgot about 2007. Still, it has been awhile. We shall see!

dramagrrl
06-22-2011, 01:53 AM
I've also seen her spell "great" in one post, and spell "greate" in her very next post (often right under her previous post!). I have no idea why she does what she does, but I'm convinced it's not because she does not know how to spell.
That's rather judgmental of you, don't you think? I have ESL students who do the same thing (spell a word correctly in one piece of writing, and then spell it incorrectly in another piece of writing, sometimes in the same class period).

Twilight1
06-22-2011, 03:59 AM
I hope V&M stick around for 3 more years. I would love to see them repeat as Oly Champs like G&P did in '94 and '98.

I know that is a huge commitment but why not just go for it, they will still be young and can go on to do many others things too.

Where is Skate Canada by chance? If it is close this year, I may go to check out the ice dance event... thought really hoping V&M are there.

flowerpower
06-22-2011, 04:06 AM
Where is Skate Canada by chance? If it is close this year, I may go to check out the ice dance event... thought really hoping V&M are there.

Hershey Centre, Mississauga.

lavenderblue
06-22-2011, 04:07 AM
New article:

Champs undecided about London 2013 (http://www.lfpress.com/sports/2011/06/21/18316411.html)

sap5
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
That's rather judgmental of you, don't you think? I have ESL students who do the same thing (spell a word correctly in one piece of writing, and then spell it incorrectly in another piece of writing, sometimes in the same class period).

In this particular case, I don't think so, but I do understand and appreciate what you are saying.

Anyway, when do those GP assignments come out? This is wait is crazy.

Sylvia
06-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Anyway, when do those GP assignments come out?
The GP selection meeting is June 24-25, so hopefully on the 25th or early on the 26th.

However, note this sentence in the Detroit Free Press article (http://www.freep.com/article/20110622/SPORTS17/106220389/Victory-party-honors-elite-Canton-skaters?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p) about yesterday's celebration in Canton:

Each of the world team medalists have been training and working on new lifts and programs -- including Virtue and Moir, the 2010 Olympic gold medalists, who said they haven't decided whether they're going to compete next season.

sap5
06-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Thank you, Sylvia.

OlieRow
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I guess it wouldn't be a huge shock to see them retire (especially compared to S/B or C/P splitting) but it'd certainly add more drama to this already borderline ridiculous offseason. I can't imagine that they don't at least have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

The Accordion
06-23-2011, 03:41 AM
After all the secrecy around Tessa's injuries over the years - I feel as though I never feel sure I will know the truth at any given time. Perhaps in a not so close to Olympic year they want to give her legs an easy year?

I feel confused by them saying they feel as though they have so much they want to do in the sport and they love competing and Tessa is healthy - yet they don't know how many years they will stick around - and even don't know about the upcoming season.

Then with all of these other dance teams splitting for what seems like no better reason then they don't really like one another (so it seems to me based on what we know) I just don't know what way is up anymore!

I would love for them to continue on since if healthy -I do believe they have so much more to explore and contribute.

But I also know they have been at this for a very long time / have been through a lot / have accomplished so much despite the pain and difficulty and would understand if they want to go in a different direction with their lives.

I would be very sad - but I would understand!

jenji124
06-23-2011, 04:18 AM
Why would they be training and working on new lifts/programs if they had no intention of competing this season?

I read a tweet from a choreographer in the D/W thread that said she was working with the Olympic medalist's Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie. I just assumed when I read that they would be skating next season.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
06-23-2011, 05:18 AM
Looking at the link that lavenderblue provided, it does seem as if V&M will skate for the 11/12 season. It's the remaining two seasons of this quadrennial that don't seem to be set in stone. It's 2013 Canadians in London that V&M aren't sure of.

If Tessa and Scott are intending on retiring after this coming season then I doubly hope they end their careers with a second World title. If Tessa is indeed healthy (or can stay healthy long enough to make it through the entire season of competitions) they should be able to do so.

The Accordion, I agree with you regarding the true state of Tessa's legs. I wonder if V&M are going year by year. If V&M do retire after 2012 World's then I suspect we might finally find out what the truth is. I wonder if Tessa's injury is something that won't completely stop bothering her until she no longer has to put the kind of stress on her legs required to train as an Olympic eligible skater. I hope not.

That said hopefully by the end of this coming season and going forward perhaps I&K will finally be ready to move ahead especially if we are going to lose V&M as eligible skaters. :( Oh well, I suppose we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

Sahararainfall
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Hmmm, it seems like fans focused on this quote:

"We haven't had that conversation yet," Virtue said this week...

...and did not notice or ignored this one:

"We could decide to turn pro, that's always an option, but I don't think money is going to be a big part of the equation. We've always been competitors in every sense of the word."

I think in his heart and mind, if his body would permit it, Scott is already committed to Sochi.

I think in her heart and mind, Tessa probably wants to commit to Sochi but her legs (and her pragmatic nature) would not permit it.

The Accordion, I agree with you regarding the true state of Tessa's legs. I wonder if V&M are going year by year. If V&M do retire after 2012 World's then I suspect we might finally find out what the truth is. I wonder if Tessa's injury is something that won't completely stop bothering her until she no longer has to put the kind of stress on her legs required to train as an Olympic eligible skater. I hope not.

I don’t think it is even correct to call it an “injury.” It is more like a condition. And yes, it is something she will have to deal with for as long as she continues to do the kind of training needed to compete at the highest levels. The decompression surgery she had undergone twice now (with the first one giving no relief of pain at all according to their book which I have been able to read in bits through Google books) was meant to release the pressure/tension in her calf and shin muscles caused by her condition (compartment syndrome), but it did not treat the condition itself which could be again triggered by overexertion. They likened the surgery to slicing open a sausage to give what is inside more space but of course, the human muscle is not like that. It will heal and close up again and then you will have to think about decompression again not to mention tissue scarring. I do not really want to scare my fellow VM fans but I think this really is a career-threatening condition. So far though quotes like this one:

"I'll still be going (to the Fowler-Kennedy sports medicine clinic) but it's more for maintenance," the 22-year-old said. "It's something I'm going to have to watch and monitor going forward.

is encouraging, but I think Tessa has the prerogative to take this in a "day-to-day" and "year-to-year" basis.

Proustable
06-23-2011, 05:18 PM
That said hopefully by the end of this coming season and going forward perhaps I&K will finally be ready to move ahead especially if we are going to lose V&M as eligible skaters. :( Oh well, I suppose we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

Or, we could bomb the bridge now and prevent them of ever retiring!!!!! Who's with me?

That stated, I think Sahararainfall has it exactly right.

flowerpower
06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
^^

Well put, Sahararainfall (whole post).