PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Judy
05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Well, it makes *certain* obsessed fans look childish. Most V&M fans acknowledged the job well done by Davis and White, and are really pleased that Virtue and Moir were able to skate that well in their first full competition. V&M and D&W don't seem to have any issues training together and competing against each other; I'm really not sure why some of their fans do...:confused:

Agreed.

Judy
05-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it is also encouraging to see that Olympic (and world) champions are not going to be held up like in the old days. If anyone has to be a bit concerned it would have to be Yuna Kim who has now lost 2 worlds although I continue to question her team's judgement this year on the coaching situation.

sliver98
05-01-2011, 05:48 PM
i don`t know what you mean by that tessa and scott did not have the benefit of a full season, D&W had the advantage in ice dance you have to show your fd at least 3 or 4 times before getting the top marks, they didn`t have the luxury to make changes mid course like D&W they had one shot to make it good and it was darn good, alot of people thought they deserved to win.

marbri
05-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't want them to keep the same FD next season. I am incredibly sad that we never got to see their Pink Floyd FD performed to it's full potential and likely not this either. But given the theme for SD I'd like to see them take parts of their FD and rework that into the SD and continue to challenge themselves with FD themes. Something with an edge. Seeing her expression in this FD and Scott has quite the range I think that might be interesting to see.

leafygreens
05-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I think it is also encouraging to see that Olympic (and world) champions are not going to be held up like in the old days. If anyone has to be a bit concerned it would have to be Yuna Kim who has now lost 2 worlds although I continue to question her team's judgement this year on the coaching situation.

True to an extent but it still happens like the Russians were held up for the Oly bronze and V/M were held up at '10 worlds which was just a repeat of the Olys.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
05-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Tessa didn't gain weight - she muscled up especially upper body. I suspect she needs it for those incredible lifts - wow!

.....I didn't bash B&A when they left. Similar to when a hockey team fires the coach I think they felt they needed a change. I do agree that perhaps they were pushed out a bit but maybe Z&S have learned from that .. or maybe the coaches preferred that they leave too .. who knows.

I thought Tessa looked gorgeous, fit and healthy.

Judy, I know you didn't but last season many did. There was a lot of criticicism including people who just knew that poor Ben Agosto had been dragged away from Canton because Tanith was jealous etc. etc. And when Tanith had the nerve to publically acknowledge the changes in her skating that Natalia Linichuk had brought about (IIRC she has always been careful to also give a nod to S&Z for all they did for her and Ben before the move to Delaware) people accused her of dissing and being dismissive of her former coaches. Actually practically anytime Tanith made a statement last year it was ripped to shreds.

I'm in the minority but I'm feeling as if my opinions on yesterday are closer to slivers and Lissa's.

Years of hearing the NA commentators cry foul whenever a NA team didn't win or medal seems to have been drilled into peoples heads. Because there was an all NA podiium now no one is being held up and all is fair. I dread what happens if/when I&K and even B&S begin to gel and move up. The politicking complaints will begin again.

I don't think anything has changed in the dance world except how the judges are interpreting the rule book and who is winning.

To me the D&W and V&M matchup is similar to past matchups between excellent technical skaters and skaters who are more of a complete package. For years people complained when certain skaters skated clean all the way through but were outscored by other skaters who may have had a couple of bobbles but were superior in many areas that the fans don't pay attention to (or just didn't care about) but that the judges should be. I feel as if in answer to that and to keep from losing more viewer interest the judges just changed the interpretation of what is supposed to be marked rather than try to find ways to educate the fans (especially the more casual viewers) on why despite skating what appeared to be a clean exciting program teams like Scott/Dulebohn (thinking of Worlds 2003) etc. were still coming up short. Also I'm thinking of how some were :confused: and disagreed when Jeff Buttle finally won Worlds despite some errors.

Or perhaps it's me who needs to adjust myself to whatever standards the judges are now applying in their marking. Again D&W are good (I can see why others feel they are more exciting) but I suppose I've been watching dance for so many years that I still feel that V&M excel in most other areas that barring a fall they should have had enough of a cushion to give them the win. And a competition is supposed to be about what happens on the day (and I acknowledge that many feel it was) not that a team wasn't going to win anyway since they didn't compete all season.

That said this is the last I'll say about it since as a V&M fan I'm going to try and follow their lead and I knew that it would be tough. Tessa and Scott's performance may not have been as :kickass: as we are used to but they were amazing all the same. I hope Marina sees that they are far beyond being stuck in the romantic couples rut (they said the same themselves in the CBC article) and can do more. They are just starting to scratch the surface of what they can do. I still don't quite agree with the T&D comparisons just yet but darn it if I don't think they can get there by 2014 if they stay in. Congratulations to them on their "return." With the right programs they can.

As always they preceding was IMO and I'm sure many will not agree.

Judy
05-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't disagree with everything you've said. Yes the Russians were definitely held up for Olympic bronze last year for whatever reason. Tanith should never have bothered trying to explain the reasons why they left .. no matter what she said it wouldn't have come out right. I was not subscribed to FSU that first year they left (the constant negative posts had turned me off) so I am glad I missed that.

IMO skating one competition doesn't help nowadays with the ability to polish a program in front of judges and audiences. If V&M had been able to compete at 4CC they would have had a better chance. Their FD was incredible but I'm used to seeing them skate perfectly and this wasn't quite perfect. I just credit that with lack of competing.

I do wonder though if V&M stay healthy and perform 100% if it isn't the last time D&W win a world title. Next year will be very interesting.

I also have no doubt that V&M will be returning next year. I can't see them being happy retiring 2nd in the world.

Another thought though .. is it possible nowadays for world champions to repeat their titles as they did in the old days with the new judging? A lot of people said back in the days of T&D that they didn't always deserve the 10's it was just a given that the judges were going to give them that. I was actually never a huge fan of theirs.

Judy
05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
and Pani .. just for you .. quote from an article from Skate Canada CEO:

Virtue and Moir weren't able to duplicate their Olympic and world victories from last year, finishing a close second behind Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White in their first full competition this season a remarkable comeback six months after Virtue underwent surgery in October on both legs.

"Next year you can look forward to a full season of training and that puts them on an even footing coming into worlds next year," said Skate Canada's CEO William Thompson. "I think what they did with the time they had was absolutely remarkable."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5iOnEEClSJJ_mZD8o1yZuuUhERhWg?docId=6723604

mia joy
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
I do wonder though if V&M stay healthy and perform 100% if it isn't the last time D&W win a world title. Next year will be very interesting.

As long as they really deserve it, that's fine - but I'd hate to see them awarded with golds just because they are Olympic champions and still have the reaputation of being better than D/W.

Next year will be interesting indeed, with those teams entering competitions as the Olympic champions and the World champions. However, if Igor and Marina keep running out of ideas like this year (I mean, tango and latino? booooring), I'd say all of them should run away to different coaches. They already have the skills, all they need now is the mature artistry and original ideas and I sometimes doubt they can get those from S/Z.

Lissa
05-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Are there any links to V&M FD from like Euro sport or any other outlets, I would like to hear what the commentators though of them.

I read on YT that the Italian commentators were saying......that is why they are a phenominon on the ice & that they are from another planet!

Luv those comments, seems alot there thought V&M should have clearly been first!

icedance
05-01-2011, 09:37 PM
British Eurosport comentators said they should have got the gold.

Lissa
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
British Eurosport comentators said they should have got the gold.

Oh wow really?
I wish I could see the British Euro vid, crap I can never find it & no one posts it on YT lol

What else did they say? thanks

Macassar88
05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm new to ice dancing, so I don't really know what is considered good. (I don't know the GOE bullets or anything like that)
But in the FD, it seemed like D and W were more technically sound that V and M which is probably what won it for them. However, I think that V and M performed their dance better. I hope that next year neither team has any injuries so that we can see both of their best work against each other.

AnnieD
05-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh wow really?
I wish I could see the British Euro vid, crap I can never find it & no one posts it on YT lol

What else did they say? thanks

The British Eurosport commentators (in particular, Simon Reed) absolutely loved them. He was convinced through the entire competition that Tessa and Scott were going to win right up to the moment that Meryl and Charlie received their marks.

They loved the program, commented on the difficulty of one of the step sequences and said the program was hot lol. Simon also thought that Tessa and Scott should have had a greater lead over M&C in the short dance.

ETA - Simon just said that he felt their silver medal was "unjust" and that in "a royal week, they were very regal."

So he's clearly a fan lol!

sliver98
05-01-2011, 10:46 PM
The British Eurosport commentators (in particular, Simon Reed) absolutely loved them. He was convinced through the entire competition that Tessa and Scott were going to win right up to the moment that Meryl and Charlie received their marks.

They loved the program, commented on the difficulty of one of the step sequences and said the program was hot lol. Simon also thought that Tessa and Scott should have had a greater lead over M&C in the short dance.

ETA - Simon just said that he felt their silver medal was "unjust" and that in "a royal week, they were very regal."

So he's clearly a fan lol!

I said three months ago that shpilband was gonna buy davis and white the world title, tessa and scott need a coaching change if they have any hope of winning in sochi. Don`t be surprised in the summer when it is announced they are going to Platov.