PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

skatingfan04
05-01-2011, 03:29 AM
I though V/M were absolutely sensational today, and while I thought they should have won, I dont think they'll be that dissapointed with the result. They're experienced athletes and intelligent people, so I doubt that they failed to appreciate how much of a disadvantage they would be at coming in this late in the game. Sure, they won't be thrilled with the silver, but they have to be happy with how they skated. I honestly think that they'll be back next year. I doubt that Tessa would have put herself through a difficult surgery if she didn't intend to continue, especially knowing full well that the operation might have forced them to sit out the entire season. As for leaving S/Z, why would they? Not only do they get the best choreography in the world, but they get to skate every day in a highly competative environment, the same environment that is likely largelky responsible for making them as good as they are. Where else in the world could they get that? They didn't walk away from Z/S when they lost the GP final last year, an event they were supposedly in good health for, so I highly doubt they would walk away now because they lost a world title after sitting out the entire season with a severe injury.

zilam98
05-01-2011, 03:48 AM
is it me or does tessa look like she has gained some weight? she doesnt look as slender as last year. i like her tanned look this time--makes her look more mature, sophisticated, exotic, edgy and capable of more sensuous expressions. love her ponytail! and i really appreciate their FD more than last year's. it's a style that hasnt been seen on them for a while.

Proustable
Just to wander off topic for a minute. I just watched their FD again I gotta say that slow lift on 'Temptation' (you know the one) is so hot it's just unreal and they are so gonna come back next year. They're so competitive you can almost feel it especially Scott, they'll be back. IMO keep the coaches, at least till next year.

Yep. That lift was awesome. The way Tessa's body slinks around Scott, the way she drinks him in... very steamy.

bbkenn
Thanks for the heads-up about the PBP thread.

Summary of the thread: "V/M are boring" "V/M are boring" "V/M are boring"
and every poster apparently thinks they are making a useful and interesting contribution to the thread.

It's quite funny (and a little bit sad).

I read that too, over and over.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
05-01-2011, 03:55 AM
This talk reminds me of the struggle B&A went through after Worlds 2008 when everyone was whispering in their ear to dump Z&S because they deserved to be number one with their coach.

It didn't work out so well for them. Part of that may be B&A had already peaked but I do hope V&M have a weeks peace before people start whispering in their ear ;)

I'm hesitant to bring up B&A but I don't think they had already peaked. Actually if you've watched them during the Disson shows this season and seen the reception they've gotten (even by a decent number on this board) I think B&A are continuing to improve and are just beginning to peak in their abilities.

It's a shame we can't see into the future because while I believe V&M would still have passed B&A internationally, Tanith and Ben might have benefitted more by sticking with team Canton. I was never sure why B&A caught so much flak for leaving Canton; they are competitors and as a purely "business" decision it seemed the right thing to do. Skaters changes coaches all the time for various reasons but for some reason when B&A did, it was seen as disloyal, a slap in the face to Igor or some statement about what a horrible person Tanith was.

B&A had no way to know that while they were leaving one team of coaches because they supposedly were not a top priority, the Russian Federation would send their top team to the exact same coach that B&A had hoped would help them continue to compete with the top teams.

Can anyone honestly tell me that they would stick with coaches when one or both of those coaches seem to have turned their backs on you (I could see the difference in attitude after the fall in the CD at 2008 Worlds) and one coach openly praised your teammates pronouncing them the best she's ever trained? After Tanith fell it seemed as if B&A also instantly fell in the pecking order in Canton. Marina has never been shy about her love of V&M.

V&M came to Shpilband and Zoueva from different coaches and numerous skaters (not just dancers) have changed coaches at least once. Some change coaches it seems every season (I remember how many coaching changes skaters such as B&K, L&T and TotMar had).

I've always admired Tamara Moskvina because she is one of the few coaches who seem capable of giving her all to each team she coaches (back when she handled several top teams at one time). Igor is known for his fickleness and even Natalia Linichuk in the past seems to have favored certain teams to others (IMO she seemed to give L&A the same level of attention and programs as her other teams).

Anyway, it's a bit soon to be suggesting V&M switch coaches. In icedance sadly there are always as many different theories on why this team placed here while the others placed there as there are teams. Unfortunately in icedance some of those theories may or may not have some basis in truth. For Scott and Tessa, they were out most of the season and from what I read they seemed to run out of steam at the end of their dance. The judges may have genuinely felt that D&W had the better performance or perhaps even though some feel that V&M are good enough to have had a little bit of a cushion the judges may have wanted D&W to win this season so used the ending of V&M's dance to justify the win. Knowing the FSU posters, we will have a long off season to discuss and discuss some more.

I would still like to see V&M use other choreographers but Igor and Marina seem like the type of coaches who are in charge of everything. Perhaps Marina will give up her vision of V&M being the romantic couple; the new FD certainly seems as if she's willing to be a bit more flexible. I guess it remains to be seen what next years FD looks like.

zilam98
05-01-2011, 03:59 AM
I would still like to see V&M use other choreographers but Igor and Marina seem like the type of coaches who are in charge of everything. Perhaps Marina will give up her vision of V&M being the romantic couple; the new FD certainly seems as if she's willing to be a bit more flexible. I guess it remains to be seen what next years FD looks like.

i really agree with that.

i also wish for v/t to try other choreographers such as shanti rushpaul and maybe even chris dean just to expand their repertoire and skills, but like what carmen ovsiannikov has stated above, igor/marina want to have all of the creative control over their teams, including choreo.

geoskate
05-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Just linking tapper88's post (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3165836&postcount=515)again, because Scott does indeed say something like "Good for this year" or "Good for a year like this". To me that sounds like they are at least considering continuing.

If so, then I'm very happy with silver for them, because I think it will give them added motivation to continue for at least one more year. It seems a bit like Patrick Chan's placement at the Olympics - if he had medalled at the Olympics, he probably would have retired, and we would have missed so much. He's gotten so much better since then.

Like Patrick, V/M have a lot more to give. If this 2nd place helps motivate them to continue, then it will have been a good thing IMO. I think they are still just beginning their exploration of what they can do.

I've watched the free dance three times already - phenomenal! Tessa is quoted in some articles as saying that it got a bit sloppy near the end, which is true, but what a free dance. It also really sets them up nicely for the short dance next year, too.

bbkenn
05-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Just linking tapper88's post (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3165836&postcount=515)again, because Scott does indeed say something like "Good for this year" or "Good for a year like this". To me that sounds like they are at least considering continuing.

If so, then I'm very happy with silver for them, because I think it will give them added motivation to continue for at least one more year. It seems a bit like Patrick Chan's placement at the Olympics - if he had medalled at the Olympics, he probably would have retired, and we would have missed so much. He's gotten so much better since then.

Like Patrick, V/M have a lot more to give. If this 2nd place helps motivate them to continue, then it will have been a good thing IMO. I think they are still just beginning their exploration of what they can do.

I've watched the free dance three times already - phenomenal! Tessa is quoted in some articles as saying that it got a bit sloppy near the end, which is true, but what a free dance. It also really sets them up nicely for the short dance next year, too.

Should they keep it for next year, do you think?

Really
05-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Should they keep it for next year, do you think?I'd love to see that FD with more miles on it, and them being fully trained.

shan
05-01-2011, 04:08 AM
But with the SD being a similar theme would it be wise to keep?

Carmen Ovsiannikov
05-01-2011, 04:25 AM
It's a shame and I've never understood why, but in icedance reusing of programs has always been poorly received. Even though the dance has only been seen once in it's entirety, I don't think V&M would fare well bringing it back. I think if V&M had skipped the season completely then they could make some updates and adjustments to keep up with the inevitable tweaks to the requirements/rules.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the FD show up during V&M's CSOI appearances. And as shan pointed out, the SD next year is the Rhumba.

bbkenn
05-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Well I just watched V&M's FD and then D&W's FD, and then V&M's again, and I have to say that I thought V&M's FD was incredible, difficult and they gave it their all. But, I am not surprised D&W won. They seemed more precise and practiced. While V&M had much more chemistry, spice and connection to the music and each other, D&W had better twizzles, and better flow. I would have given it to V&M on PCS, and D&W on TES, but the judges gave both to D&W. I still think it's amazing that V&M won silver. I think Carmen you were right that it was D&W's year.

Proustable
05-01-2011, 05:26 AM
I thought the difference in linking footwork is enough to give D/W the edge on PCS (considering factoring) and unsurprisingly, that was the arena the judges marked them farthest apart on.

Loved it. Will watch it repeatedly. Wish they were injury free to compete all year long because it's so the best FD of the season.

tapper88
05-01-2011, 05:31 AM
Saw the medal ceremony on CBC :)

Very cute! Lots of random hand holding and they looked very happy :)

jl22aries
05-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Loved Scott's reaction in the KnC at the very end when he finally sees the scoreboard and notices Alex and Maia's placement. What a cool posse.