PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

sliver98
04-30-2011, 12:30 AM
tessa and scott looked very polished today, if they skate well tomorrow i hope the judges don`t give the world title to davis and white just because they skated the whole season. Davis and white tango program is not world championship material imo.

frisette70
04-30-2011, 12:37 AM
I found that Tessa and Scott skated very close together, the twizzles were very close too and they have the best lines and extentions!! I love that SD!:respec:

sliver98
04-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I agree i hate the americans and D&W sense of entitlement like we deserve the title or nothing i hope tessa and scott show them tomorrow who the olympic champions are.

frisette70
04-30-2011, 12:49 AM
Easy lift..... Level 4 and no hands by Scott... Sometimes i think that they made it looks to easy even when it's not.:cool:

marbri
04-30-2011, 12:50 AM
sliver98, can you please take it down a notch. It's nice to pop in here and read and usually the tone is fine. You don't need to hate on D&W to love V&M.

OlieRow
04-30-2011, 12:53 AM
tessa and scott looked very polished today, if they skate well tomorrow i hope the judges don`t give the world title to davis and white just because they skated the whole season. Davis and white tango program is not world championship material imo.

I agree they looked polished, but not quite perfect. I also agree that D/W's FD isn't their best program and I'd be disappointed to see them win soley because they have the momentum of a full and undefeated season. That being said, I expect the FD to be close. While I think V/M's program has the potential to be awesome, we don't really know what to expect and they haven't had a season full of feedback. If both teams skate clean and to the level that I'd expect, and D/W win, they'll certainly deserve it.

sliver98
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
It sounds a little suspicious with the skate order though tomorrow davis and white skate right after and their coaches with them in the k&C i hope that the competition hasn`t been decided already.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
04-30-2011, 01:28 AM
None of the SD's were overly exciting........V&M were perfection though, so I would have thought their tech marks would be higher. I feel some couples were robbed and some (politiks) were gifted. It's wait and see...........from what I've heard and the little I've seen V&M's FD won't be boring.......It'll be hawt!

claire, I agree with you that the majority of SD's this year are rather bland so I'm not sure why V&M's is being singled out more than the others. I can count on one hand the number of SD's that really stand out to me. Also, some people seem to be forgetting that these days in icedance the judges seem to be marking mostly on how well the teams are executing the content and required elements in their dances. Look at many of the medal winning programs in all the disciplines. If medals had been given out according to who had the most interesting and creative choreography then we might be looking at different Olympic and World champions across the board.

Tessa and Scott was flawers, had big speed, power and really soft knees. I love there artistic impression. I think they was free today.

I found that Tessa and Scott skated very close together, the twizzles were very close too and they have the best lines and extentions!! I love that SD!:respec:

pani, glad you are enjoying being able to see Scott and Tessa skate in person.

I have to say I'm surprised (and a little disappointed in Judy Blumberg) that there are so many comments suggesting that V&M are benefitting from their reputations. sliver98 might be a bit strong in her opinions but I get where she is coming from. D&W have always been and continue to be a very strong technical team but overall I still find V&M to be superior. It started last season and I still don't quite get what people are seeing that is making them feel that the two teams are virtually equal. The only equalizer this year and possibly in this competition is Tessa's lost time recovering.

As frisette stated, V&M skate close together, have wonderful lines and extension and IMO overall their basic skating skills are simply superior. pani is also correct that V&M have great "artistry"; for me their interpretive skills in the past and in this season helped Tessa and Scott overcome choreography that many find to be "generic."

That said, the Latin dance isn't generic and "lovey dovey" and hopefully the trend to pull away from the young romantic lovers themes will continue next year as well. V&M proved they are capable of more hopefully Marina will finally get the message.

clarie
04-30-2011, 02:02 AM
I guess I must be living under a rock, who is Judy Blumberg? I've heard the name before but I've forgotten what connection she has to Virtue and Moir or ice dance.

I think that is a terrible statement to make publicly by someone supposedly on the "inside" that V&M are being marked only on their reputation. If that is true for them, then it will be just as true for others I won't mention.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
04-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Judy Blumberg is a former five time U.S. dance champion and world medalist (before B&A in 2005, the last U.S. icedance medal was won by Judy and her partner Michael Siebert in 1985). Many (myself included) feel that B&S were cheated out of at least a bronze medal at the 1984 Olympics. Like Susie Wynne, Judy is for the most part fair and gives viewers excellent information on what to look for technically. However, at times you can tell when certain teams are being pushed by the more biased reporting.

I still haven't forgiven Ms. Wynne for basically playing down DelShoes' finally winning the World title and making it seem as if they were being held up by their reputation. :blah: DelShoes are the last team who would ever get any kind of favors from the judges.

I know/feel that each federation does it's part to play up the skaters from their countries who are competing for a medal and the journalists from those respective countries seem to do their parts as well but for years I've also wondered from time to time if the commentators also are doing their parts.

Back when Winkler/Lohse were competing (I'm thinking of the 00/01 season in particular), Susie Wynne thought they were a wonderful team, albeit a team who needed a little more difficulty. W&L's Cabaret OD was great and she had no issue with it beating B&K's OD at 00 Sparkassen Cup. Susie thought that despite the lower level of difficulty, W&L showed decent speed, great bodyline during their footwork and lifts and great smoothness in and out of their transitional moves and those lifts. All of a sudden when they were competing head to head with L&T for placements they basically sucked and Susie so much as called their comments about their chronic illnesses and not training in a major arena with other top dancers weak excuses for not being that good.

I've seen the same pattern repeated during other matchups between favored teams and teams that might beat them.

Anyway, I feel Judy is kind of pushing for D&W (it would be the first world gold for the U.S.) so is playing down V&M a tad and kind of putting that little bug in the ear of the U.S. viewers. If V&M pull off a second World title I expect to hear plenty of wuzrobbing and talk about their reputation as reigning Olympic and World gold medalists playing a part on the judges decision.

It's not just this season either. Even last year some people thought that V&M only won the gold because the Olympics were held in Vancouver. :confused:

Look at what V&M are doing on the ice and how well they are doing it. I'm surprised that some are basing their opinions on where V&M should finish soley by whether they personally like the choice of music and choreography. If medals were being given out according to who has the most creative choreography then both V&M and D&W would have been beaten by not only P&B but also F&S and C&P. And the Kerr's would have outscored some of the top teams from time to time as well. It's one thing for casual fans to be moved by what they feel is more exciting music and moves but I thought that many who watch skating enough to post their opinions about it on message boards would acknowledge there is more to the marks (or there should be) than whose music was better.

I'm only saying that because the main comment I hear about those who feel V&M are being unfairly held up is that their programs are boring. I found Yu Na Kim's, S&Z's and Evan Lysacek's LP's boring last season but understand why they won the gold.

All the above is only IMO of course.

Lissa
04-30-2011, 03:22 AM
It sounds a little suspicious with the skate order though tomorrow davis and white skate right after and their coaches with them in the k&C i hope that the competition hasn`t been decided already.

Why you think they are going to give it to D&W?

I kind of do, if they both skate clean I expect D&W to get it, which is why they kept them so close in the SD.
V&M were FAR superior in every way, should have at least a 2 point maybe 3 lead but they wanted to keep it close so if V&M have some slight off moment they can justify going the other way.

V&M not skating this program all season will hurt them imo with the judges.:rolleyes:

Lissa
04-30-2011, 03:23 AM
I guess I must be living under a rock, who is Judy Blumberg? I've heard the name before but I've forgotten what connection she has to Virtue and Moir or ice dance.

I think that is a terrible statement to make publicly by someone supposedly on the "inside" that V&M are being marked only on their reputation. If that is true for them, then it will be just as true for others I won't mention.

Judy Blumberg needs to chill, :rolleyes: talk about overly dramatizing something, she is American enough said...:lol:

Lissa
04-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Easy lift..... Level 4 and no hands by Scott... Sometimes i think that they made it looks to easy even when it's not.:cool:

That is it exactly, like Torvill & Dean before them, they make it look too easy, but all that means is they are THAT GOOD!;)

Lissa
04-30-2011, 03:29 AM
Tessa and Scott was flawers, had big speed, power and really soft knees. I love there artistic impression. I think they was free today.

That was perfection today, speed, edges, soft knees, artistic, technically very difficult though they made it look effortless!

Totally flawless, the dance was far from boring but jealous nellies will say anything to make it seem that way.:rolleyes:

Carmen Ovsiannikov
04-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Why you think they are going to give it to D&W?

I kind of do, if they both skate clean I expect D&W to get it, which is why they kept them so close in the SD.
V&M were FAR superior in every way, should have at least a 2 point maybe 3 lead but they wanted to keep it close so if V&M have some slight off moment they can justify going the other way.

V&M not skating this program all season will hurt them imo with the judges.:rolleyes:

I agree that the point spread between V&M and D&W should be higher, especially with D&W being a bit shaky. I think that to repeat as champions unfortunatley V&M will have to :kickass: and count on perhaps another shaky set of twizzles (at least) from D&W.