PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Skate Talker
02-19-2011, 10:35 PM
So apparently the CBC tape-playing machines were so shocked that even they refused to show Tessa and Scott leaving the ice....

pani
02-19-2011, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjUg7XnEJI&feature=player_embedded
Tessa and Scott on phone interview from Taiwan

Pratfall
02-19-2011, 11:26 PM
CBC can be such shlubs ! They've had problems with live broadcasts before, but this was tape..Not shown 'til a day later. At one point Scott Russell said they were taping the program at the same time the ladies SP was taking place..( That would have been late afternoon/early evening yesterday ( time to fix a tape problem between then and now, surely) ..Russell, Tracy and PJ were brought in for the taping. He , russell, also said they would be talking to V/M "in a few minutes "...It occurs to me that Tracy may have made some speculations during the taping that didn't hold true once they'd done the phone interview..but if Tracy wasn't in the studio by the time Russell interviewed them, there would be no time to change it.

OTOH ,Russell does do a regular Saturday sports magazine thing, and maybe the tape really did break down just this afternoon, with no time to fix it and replay before they started Hockey coverage. ( maybe his lone presence is how they could advertise it as "live" coverage )

Either way ,it was great to get another brief glimpse of the choreography and very reassuring to see the medical team right there . They must have thought she was OK to skate before the FD ( spasms are unpredictable) and I'm sure their advice must have been weighed before V/M stated that they definitely would be at world's.

puglover
02-19-2011, 11:53 PM
I love to read other people's comments and have never had the courage to post anything before but - I have to say I am so impressed with Tessa and Scott. I'm sure there are many stories of courage in the sport, but I have followed them closely for years so I am more aware of theirs. Tessa must be an incredible young woman and I can't help but think that Scott (who was always good looking and funny and charming) has certainly developed compassion and the ability to put another person's needs before his own. These qualities will stand him in good stead for the rest of his life. After reading their book I am also impressed with how quiet they have been able to keep their problems. I have never been to Canton and have no idea how they train but it would seem a lot of people, including competitors, have respected their desire for privacy and leaked very little. That to me speaks well for the training environment and the sport.

maggylyn
02-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Very nice first post, puglover! :)

However did you resist for all these years?

Sonata
02-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Welcome puglover! I wondered too how V&M were able to prevent leaks about the severity of Tessa Virtue's injury before the Olympics. As you say, it is a testament to the training environment at Canton.

I confess that I've disliked V&M's past Latin-themed programs, but their newest one looks fabulous! It drew me right in and I love the music. I am disappointed that we didn't get to see the whole thing.

Judy
02-20-2011, 01:18 AM
So how does a rink shut down their skaters from releasing any details? Is it that V&M and D&W would have more privacy? Not sure how that works.

Pratfall
02-20-2011, 01:59 AM
:)I think it's probably to protect the privacy and the choreography and music choices of all their skaters . I wonder if they all sign a ' no leaks' agreement in blood ? News just doesn't come out of there until they're ready to divulge it.

It's generally a good thing, I think...even though the fans can become nervous wrecks.:D

Hi, , puglover . I like your name. If we had last names, mine would probably be Shih Tzu - lover... Welcome.

Twilight1
02-20-2011, 04:18 AM
After Nancy was injured in 1994, before the Olympics she had a show to show that she was ready for the Lillehammer Games. I keep thinking that Tessa and Scott should do that too so that they can get their FD out there in a full run through to get that performance aspect warmed up for the World's.

They could do it in London and raise money for some charity. Just a thought...

jenji124
02-20-2011, 05:40 AM
welcome puglover, great first post and insight on Tessa and Scott.

pani
02-20-2011, 07:40 AM
CBC video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfVNBZsA5lc
What did Tessa said? And interesting what Marina said to Scott.

Photos from the FD
http://photography.ice-dance.com/2010-11/2011FourContinents/Dance/FD/114C-FD-2474-VM-RR.jpg.php

Just saw them during ladies LP before Mirai start skating. (they show Kathlin and Andrew, Madison and Greg - all look really cute). Scott joiking and Tessa look happy and smiling. Hope all is OK now.

And love your post puglover

tapper88
02-20-2011, 08:10 AM
What did Marina say to Scott? Couldn't hear anything..

pani
02-20-2011, 08:42 AM
What did Marina say to Scott? Couldn't hear anything..

What Tessa said to the coaches? Maybe she said - its my quad?

clarie
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I love to read other people's comments and have never had the courage to post anything before but - I have to say I am so impressed with Tessa and Scott. I'm sure there are many stories of courage in the sport, but I have followed them closely for years so I am more aware of theirs. Tessa must be an incredible young woman and I can't help but think that Scott (who was always good looking and funny and charming) has certainly developed compassion and the ability to put another person's needs before his own. These qualities will stand him in good stead for the rest of his life. After reading their book I am also impressed with how quiet they have been able to keep their problems. I have never been to Canton and have no idea how they train but it would seem a lot of people, including competitors, have respected their desire for privacy and leaked very little. That to me speaks well for the training environment and the sport.

Welcome puglover.........I'll bet you love pugs :lol: They are the cutest!

Sahararainfall
02-20-2011, 01:49 PM
She says quad. And looking at the video, Tess got into trouble in the second set of the twizzles when she had her left leg flexed and then she stopped after the RoLi (which they executed all right in my amateur eye) where she again had her left leg flexed when Scott caught her after the entry. So mostly likely the injured quad muscle is rectus femoris which is responsible for flexing the thigh at the hip level. That is good news as that is a relatively minor injury compared to CECS. I am kind of worried that Tessa's CECS will rear its ugly head again in two or three years, but let's hope not.

Interesting position when you get to the top, you gain more fans, but you have the tendency to gain double the amount of critics and haters who would love to see you go down and think the worse of everything you do and on top of that, you get to have the burden of expectations from your own fans who just might turn against you if you fail them.....

It's weird, during the off season last year during CSOI and even up to ATS, a lot of fans were commenting how "glowy" and healthy looking Tessa was and then wham, she had to undergo a second operation and from what I can gather from old posts around here, most fans were also taken by surprise by her first operation. By this time, one would think their own fans should know by now that they are not the type of athletes to shout to the world when they are injured and make an excuse and yet still their own fans are doubting her injury because she did not look injured? What, you want her in crutches or in a wheelchair to believe? You want her to grimace in pain and bawl her eyes out? You think she quit because she choke??? Jesus God Almighty forgive my blasphemy but when in their long history of competing together have they done that? Scott has bobbled his twizzles before and so did Tessa but did they stop then? This is not even a competition worthy of choking anyway. Choking in sports tends to have a repeated pattern (do well in minor events then choke in the most important ones) and T-S have never displayed that pattern before. They have survived and finished with flying colors the burden of a home Olympics, which is probably one the greatest mental test a top athlete could ever face and some fans would think they have choked and hiding it behind a fake injury? Unbelievable.:rolleyes: They have said before that they have kept details of Tessa's injury and its extent a secret (hiding it or lying about it whatever term one prefers to use) from the media, judges and fans as a tactic to avoid being judged vulnerable even before they step on ice. If they and their coaches felt this was necessary, then don't blame them, blame the system that forces them to play it this way and hide or lie.

<<sigh>>

Anyway sorry for the rant, just had to get that out. Looking forward to seeing that FD in its entirety at the worlds. Hope Tessa recovers well from this physically from the injury and mentally and emotionally from all this doubt and backlash. Kudos to Scott for his obvious support of Tessa. I am sure part of him is very frustrated by all this but he seems to have it all in perspective. The fact that Tessa felt it was okay to stop when it was too painful means she is confident in their friendship and knows that Scott won't turn against her. For some reason, I don't think Tessa of 2008 or 2009 would have been.