PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Shayii, it's possible; I'm sure the ISU is (or should be) keeping a close eye on the situation. According to a representative from the U.S. Geological Society with an earthquake of that magnitude (8.9) aftershocks could continue for weeks.

Skating aside, I'm just praying for everyone included in the tsunami watch/warning areas. :(

tapper88
03-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I'm praying for everyone too.

I wonder if they would relocate it the location for World's? Or postpone it? Hmm.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-11-2011, 07:40 AM
With World's only being a week away I would think it's too late for relocation. If anything I could see the possibility of a postphonement or even a cancellation out of respect for the victims.

julieann
03-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Cancel the WTT and have Worlds in April :)

pani
03-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Cancel the WTT and have Worlds in April :)

This will be good for Tessa and Scott.
But i feel so sorry for Japan :( Like i post at GSD, Australian Open wasnt cancel, when a lot off people in Australia lost there homes this year :(
From one side - they need to retun a lot off money. But from other - i think WCh isnt So important in our lifes - maybe is better show respect for the victims. :(

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I agree with pani. It seems wrong somehow to worry about figureskating and medals when so many people have been lost and even those left behind will have to deal with the aftermath. Skating just doesn't feel that important right now.

Parsley Sage
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I think if I was a skater preparing for Worlds, I would assume that the event would be taking place but I would prepare myself for a last minute cancellation.

pani
03-11-2011, 08:05 PM
I think if I was a skater preparing for Worlds, I would assume that the event would be taking place but I would prepare myself for a last minute cancellation.

I dont think skaters now thinking about cancellation. They are thinking about most important competition of the season (for someone - main competition in there life).
But if WCh will be cancel - they are ready this could be.
I think ISU must thinking about this problem all the time. Maybe another country are ready to hold WCh? I know this is crazy, but

a56
03-11-2011, 08:28 PM
But if WCh will be cancel - they are ready this could be.
I think ISU must thinking about this problem all the time. Maybe another country are ready to hold WCh? I know this is crazy, but
I think if the ISU were to ask another country to host Worlds, it would probably be the U.S. or Canada. Probably, it would need to be postponed because 1 week or so is such short notice. I just don't think the ISU will cancel worlds (they have so much money riding on it), but they may postpone it and/or relocate it.

pani
03-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I think if the ISU were to ask another country to host Worlds, it would probably be the U.S. or Canada. Probably, it would need to be postponed because 1 week or so is such short notice. I just don't think the ISU will cancel worlds (they have so much money riding on it), but they may postpone it and/or relocate it.

I read most part of the tickets at this WCh was sold to fans from Japan. So what they wil doing, if they relocate WCh to another counrty?
From what i read about situation in Tokyo - all look noy so bad.
But all, what happened at east coast its so scary :eek:

a56
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I read most part of the tickets at this WCh was sold to fans from Japan. So what they wil doing, if they relocate WCh to another counrty?
If the ISU relocates it to another country, It'll be very messy trying to resolve the ticket issue. Probably everyone who asks for refunds will be given refunds, and those who are able to make it will have their old tickets honored. It takes so long to organize a huge competition like senior worlds. Europe is definitely a strong possibility as an alternate venue because so many of the federations and top officials are from there. The ISU says that worlds will go on as scheduled starting on March 20th, so we'll see. If the airports are backed up/closed, that's a problem for those not already there (I know Amodio and Volosozhar/Trankov are there). I think worlds will still be held in Japan, whether at Yoyogi Stadium or another venue. It just may be postponed for weeks/months, but it won't be cancelled.

pani
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/tokyo-still-planning-to-host-world-figure-skating-championships/article1939033/

I think its too early for us to tell, said Skate Canada chief executive officer William Thompson. Were going to see what happens over the next few days and how the situation is. Im just not confident at this point that we really know everything thats going on there. At the end of the day, whats most important to me to the safety of all of our team and athletes. If we feel its unsafe, well assess it at that point.

He said Skate Canada will continue to monitor the situation and if they are still concerned in the coming days, he might allow coaches or athletes to make their own decisions about going to Tokyo.

I think he is right - all need a few days to made decision and dont need to push team Canada, if it will be unsafe.
I hope if in will stay some questions about safety, Tessa and Scott will not go, even if all other sjaters will go. Its more important to be health and live, but not a medals

Pratfall
03-12-2011, 04:26 AM
:(I'd think the unresolved situation with the nuclear power plants will play a part in any eventual decision.

pani
03-12-2011, 12:50 PM
:(I'd think the unresolved situation with the nuclear power plants will play a part in any eventual decision.

Yes - this is awfull. We had bigest accident at the nuclear power plants in Chernobyl in 1986. But we fell aftereffect of it even in now days.
Russian scientist talkm this different situation now. And wind will blow to the ocean side in next two days. Hope this cloud will go to the ocean.

But look like situation in Tokyo not bad now. But will they have energy for one of the bigest city in the World?
Hope at first Tessa and Scott will thinking about safety, not about medals

VarBar
03-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Hope at first Tessa and Scott will thinking about safety, not about medals

I would expect them to do what the other Canadian skaters will, in my understanding of it, they are part of a team though.