PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

karen
02-25-2011, 04:03 PM
First I apologize to anyone here. I would not have posted in that vein in a thread that is a V&M thread. pani dragged in something I posted on another board entirely from a thread dedicated to facetiousness.

I suppose I shouldn't keep up with this, but I was considering improvement in expression for both D&W and V&M because if either team decides to go on to Sochi (or both), what they will be facing is probably I&K, and their biggest plus is expression.

And pani, I did say what I thought needed a change in what I have seen so far of the FD was some more samba flavor to the f/w-but I think she was already in pain by that part of the program, so I doubt the version of the f/w we've seen in truly representative of what they can do when she's feeling well enough to skate. But in case that is the way the footwork is supposed to be:

http://www.dancelovers.com/samba_history.html

Samba is a Brazilian dance of African origin. It is typically performed during Carnival. So I expect OTT costumes, OTT expression as though the players were celebrating the last night before the abstemiousness of Lent.

Tessa and Scott did a decent job of this in the intro, but if you turn off the sound during the footwork, would you know the dance was even Latin, let alone samba-that's always the test I use for this.

So that's my last word on the subject. In the FD, the judges really don't care about this stuff. It might get rewarded in the choreo and perf PCS marks, but very few of the judges take off for it. You (and Tessa and Scott) certainly don't need to worry about it in terms of winning. I was just hoping the dance would really rock after Lynn Rutherford's glowing description of it, so I was rather disappointed.

I just wanted to say thanks for all your thoughts and opinions, Doris. I always make sure to read your impressions on ice dance because it's obvious that you've taken the time to educate yourself on the discipline. You also take the time to back up what you say with concrete observations.

I was definitely looking forward to this program after reading Lynn Rutherford's description. I am really, really (selfishly) hoping they will go to world's because I'm still very excited about the free dance. While the part that I saw didn't look especially amazing, I really feel like I need to see the whole product before I can make a judgement.

I also agree with what others have said - that Tessa was probably already in pain at the start of the program, which prevented them from performing the program as they are capable of doing. As Doris said, I hope that this explains why the footwork section looked a little generic.

Mostly, I really hope Tessa and Scott are healthy, can go to World's and skate their best!

DORISPULASKI
02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
:lol: I thought I was the only one who noticed that pani and teaspoon is actually the same person.

They certainly spell great the same way, if not the same person :lol:

And yes, absolutely, the FD may go on to be a stunner. It may be a stunner at worlds. In fact, I started the post that pani dragged over in only a small part

Who can comment on their FD? We really haven't seen it.

And pani, it would be more polite if you had not dragged a discussion from a fun thread on one board into a fan thread on another board.

If you had wanted to discuss this, the place to do so was as your other alter ego npa at GS, which would have been fine.

And chacha? One forward step, one retrograde step, three little quick steps chachacha. My mom made me take ballroom like all good little girls back in the day.

pani
02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
del

Pratfall
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
pani..doris is right about that GS thread ( I was there..;) ) What she said there was not said in a spirit of meanness , and there was an element of playful exaggeration and toungue-in-cheek facetiousness that we all engage in from time to time (in fun) that doesn't translate well in a fan thread...I'm sure most people know doris isn't a V/M hater.

I mean, for example , D/W are probably my second favourite team ( after V/M ) but I can , and have , often given a critique of them..what I think they need to improve ..what I wish they would do differently, and sometimes in a playful way. No-one has thought I was being mean ..but if I said the same things on FSU in the D/W thread, I'm sure I'd be taken for a D/W hater.

Don't worry..be happy..World's is coming.

ildah
02-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow, a lot of angst about Tessa's injury. It certainly would be a shame if they didn't have a very long skating future after peaking so young. She certainly is a pretty girl, kind of a Katy Perry and Kate Middleton combination.

At any rate, they would have a future as pro skaters (at least in Canada) where they would take over the popularity torch from Sale/Pelletier when/if they stop skating. Pro skating would put much less stress on them obviously. They are listed in Stars on Ice Canada for this April.

Off topic: I wonder if the tension betw Jamie and Tessa/David and the separate tour buses of last year will continue, now that Jamie and David seem to be in a better space. The tension in the soi family sure was awful last April/May. (I could totally understand Jamie's reaction last year if it weren't for the fact that Craig Simpson had left his wife for Jamie 2 months earlier. I could never reconcile how Jamie reacted during SOI considering that history was repeating itself with another woman, thanks to Jamie). Oh well, I guess emotions are hard to compartmentalize. Is David still seeing Tessa? He still seems to be happy as a clam and the word in London is that they are definitely an item.

Pratfall
02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
:lol: oh , this will relieve the tension...

skoppa
02-25-2011, 08:15 PM
:lol: oh , this will relieve the tension...

You think :lol:

Rafter
02-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Wow, a lot of angst about Tessa's injury. It certainly would be a shame if they didn't have a very long skating future after peaking so young. She certainly is a pretty girl, kind of a Katy Perry and Kate Middleton combination.

At any rate, they would have a future as pro skaters (at least in Canada) where they would take over the popularity torch from Sale/Pelletier when/if they stop skating. Pro skating would put much less stress on them obviously. They are listed in Stars on Ice Canada for this April.

Off topic: I wonder if the tension betw Jamie and Tessa/David and the separate tour buses of last year will continue, now that Jamie and David seem to be in a better space. The tension in the soi family sure was awful last April/May. (I could totally understand Jamie's reaction last year if it weren't for the fact that Craig Simpson had left his wife for Jamie 2 months earlier. I could never reconcile how Jamie reacted during SOI considering that history was repeating itself with another woman, thanks to Jamie). Oh well, I guess emotions are hard to compartmentalize. Is David still seeing Tessa? He still seems to be happy as a clam and the word in London is that they are definitely an item.

Oh great, you're back with your S&P break-up obsession. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think Tessa looks more like Kirsten Steward. It's Alexandra Paul who looks like Kate Middleton.

clarie
02-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Gossip, speculation, or were you on the bus :rolleyes:

It's none of our business anyway.

clarie
02-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Well, it's nice that Skate Canada is in Mississauga this fall. It's a 3 hr drive for moi. Perhaps Tessa and Scot will compete there as they missed out this year. I'm hoping. I know it's too far ahead to tell, but I think they'll be around for a while longer. I'd sure like the chance to see them compete once more at least. :)

Carmen Ovsiannikov
02-26-2011, 03:18 AM
....Anyway, I think Tessa looks more like Kirsten Steward. It's Alexandra Paul who looks like Kate Middleton.

When it comes to Tessa, I think the comparison to Katy Perry is more appropriate. They don't look alike but both IMO are strikingly pretty. Kristen Stewart is always so dour looking that I find her plain and Katherine Middleton I find generically pretty; hers looks don't grab my attention but she isn't unattractive.

Sorry that had nothing to do with skating. :P

I will say that some people haven't been kind when discussing V&M, Tessa's injury and the withdrawal but most aren't trying to be "haters." Sometimes it's hard to actually discuss anything because anything that isn't 100% positive gets misconstrued.

Practically everything discussed on this board is just opinion and speculation. If most of us discussed only what we knew for sure then FSU would be very quiet in between competitions.

maggylyn
02-26-2011, 04:14 AM
Off topic: I wonder if.....

:rolleyes:

Do you ever give this a rest?

ildah
02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi Maggylyn, nice to talk to you too..

Parsley Sage
02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
In the Olympic anniversary special. I thought Tessa looked a bit like Alanis Morissette circa 1991 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4

blue_idealist
02-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Tessa looks like Leighton Meester and Alexis Bledel!