PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir # 10 - Mujer Latina

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

DORISPULASKI
02-24-2011, 08:56 PM
That was indeed part of the post. I also said Scott is perfect.

The thread in questions asked what do you want to see at Worlds (not what do you expect to happen) and what do you think the different teams should work on next year. I suggested that Tessa join Charlie at acting classes since, IMO, they both need them. YMMV.

And, the place to discuss that post further is in the thread and on the board where it occurs, I think.

pani
02-24-2011, 09:17 PM
del

DORISPULASKI
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I am not particularly an expert, although I try to stay up to date on the rules, and try to understand why what marks and levels are given. That way I don't get too angry at the judges. Other than that, my opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them, nothing, other than the value they have for you.

I think Tessa would benefit from acting/mime lessons. I think Charlie needs more of them, too. I think Scott is perfect. That's it.

I detest tangos mashed up with waltzes and don't like any of the ways that teams have done that this season. V&M have chose to do a waltz like tango to go with the waltz smoothly. I&K have chosen an angsty waltz to blend with the tango. P&I have chosen to insist that the GW they are doing to tango music is a waltz, really :wall: I hate all three approaches. I can see with the requirement to blend the waltz into the 2nd rhythm (if you use one), that it leads to either angsty waltzes or overly smooth and bland tangos, but I hate the whole concept). My opinion will not influence any judges whatever, unless they have the same mental foibles I do.

In the case of the FD, I haven't seen it, but I'd like more Latin flavor in the step.

pani
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
del

Rafter
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
She has 3 expressions, and has been using them for years. 1. I adore my brand new puppy. He's perfect (while staring at Scott) 2. I'm so brave and trying to be sexy. I have my first training bra!
Or this wasnt your post?

Interesting opinion and I wonder why Tessa's being so criticized when all the ice dance girls have similar problems (not being super versatile). I mean Davis only has two or three expressions (including the "constipated angsty" look that comes out in one program per year), same goes for Pechalat, Kerr, Faiella, etc.

pani
02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
del

teaspoon
02-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Scott was super, but i feel bad about him - he couldnt skate, like he can :(
I cant inderstand this - why they didnt start find new girl for Scott this season?

pani
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
del

teaspoon
02-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Why they need to do this?
And who this could be?

I think, that if Tessa always have problems with her legs Scott need to find new patner. I know- this is really hard, but he could skate in two OG.

They could find girl for Scott not only in Canada - they have Alexandra Paul, who look like Tess/ but they have greate girl with not so expressive patner - Madison Chock ;)

DORISPULASKI
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
The post involved was a very long post about what we wished to see at Worlds and what each team could work on for next year. I remember discussing some 12 or 13 teams, some in more detail than others, depending on whether I had any ideas or not.

And yes, Meryl could use some work on expressions too, but Charlie needs it more. ;) What I wanted Meryl to work on was legline. It's better than it used to be, but once or twice a program there are still issues-

pani just copied out a section from the middle of the post-obviously V&M don't need to work on legline or stroking, etc, so expression is what they could work on...if they want to. It isn't necessary, of course. They have been more than super successful with what they do now. I just think she could use some help with putting teh sex in the facial expressions. She's still very young, and next year's dance is the rhumba--but they may prefer to portray rhumba at the prom, which is OK, and their scores will still be topnotch.

flowerpower
02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
-obviously V&M don't need to work on legline or stroking, etc, so expression is what they could work on...if they want to. It isn't necessary, of course. They have been more than super successful with what they do now. I just think she could use some help with putting teh sex in the facial expressions. She's still very young, and next year's dance is the rhumba--but they may prefer to portray rhumba at the prom, which is OK, and their scores will still be topnotch.

Doris, I normally read your posts with interest and enjoyment, but I believe that you're thinking of the Tessa of a couple of years ago.

Which of these photos look like a girl at a prom?

http://medialynx.ca/blog/wp-content/gallery/stars-on-ice/20100422-img_9012.jpg
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv273/stephpo_bucket/2010-NationalsVirtueMoir2.jpg
http://www.scratchspin.com/2010/csoi10ham/1003355.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45293879@N00/4245892702/

In the group number "Rock the Runway" at CSOI 2010, Tessa steamed up the ice. I don't believe that they will be doing "rhumba at the prom".

Tessa is no longer the young girl of Umbrellas of Cherbourg. I was disappointed in your unpleasant and inaccurate descriptions of her "only facial expressions", since as I say, I normally appreciate and respect your posts.

lavenderblue
02-25-2011, 12:09 AM

http://medialynx.ca/blog/wp-content/gallery/stars-on-ice/20100422-img_9012.jpg
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv273/stephpo_bucket/2010-NationalsVirtueMoir2.jpg
http://www.scratchspin.com/2010/csoi10ham/1003355.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45293879@N00/4245892702/

Or this (http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k585/greatterriblebeauty/virtuemoir2009teb.gif)...

Opinions of expression are entirely subjective -- for example, I actually think a bit less highly of Scott's, as far as, say, lyrical programs are concerned, than many around here do (though I think his Mahler improved tremendously with every performance, and he was terrific in Instrument of Peace and I Want to Hold Your Hand) -- but I do think Tessa is capable of bringing the passion if it's demanded for.

That said, I also don't think this SD is the place to find that (aside from the bits where her role as aggressor is played up, which I think she did a little more naturally at All That Skate LA than here in their first competition). To me, the tango in this program isn't really intended to be especially passionate or sensuous, as their prior ones have been, or as D/W's is meant to be; I get more of a deliberately theatrical vibe from it, as though their 1920s characters are self-consciously engaged in this romantic ritual together, but careful to maintain some semblance of propriety and formality in doing so. They're not letting go and giving way to the dance (which perhaps undercuts the Gatsby thing a little, actually), but it's intentional.

But I also may have overthought the issue.

Pratfall
02-25-2011, 12:26 AM
:eek: Whoa, there...no need to go completely over the top about facial expressions.

Let's be real. I do find a lot of ice dancers truly "chew the scenery" with their facial expressions, but I wouldn't put Meryl in that category, so far.One of her strengths is that she's a bit of a chameleon , and takes on character very well. They have tackled dramatic themes in the past, which allow for stronger expression and if Meryl's expression seems a bit heavy this year , it might be in compensation for Charlie. But really ,her expression doesn't seem too much . I just wish Charlie showed a bit more , or if I could feel that they were feeling the Tango in their bones , and not just trying to look like it...but I still feel this can be improved by World's. And I'm a person who adores the Tango in all it's forms, and could get lost on YouTube for hours watching one after another, so I might be picky about Tango..

OTOH, I think it's a bit cavalier to say Tessa is lacking in expression. I thought her Flamenco expression was fine , her Tango expression excellent ( in both Argentinian, and this year's more white-bread version ), her Gypsy could have been a bit more sultry, but showed suitable abandon, Charleston..fine, but D/W's was a much more earthy one. ( Oh, you kid !)
We haven't seen what they can do with Rhumba this year, but Tessa is considerably more mature than the last time they tackled anything truly Latin and I'm expecting a bit of smoulder ...not only from Scott ,who can smoulder at the drop of a hat ( and who, I agree, is perfect. );)

shan
02-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Doris, I normally read your posts with interest and enjoyment, but I believe that you're thinking of the Tessa of a couple of years ago.

Maybe its the prom hair that she has had in a few programs...

flowerpower
02-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Maybe its the prom hair that she has had in a few programs...

In some older programs, yes. ;)

The only time I can remember her hair down recently was for one of the numbers in an LA show last fall.