PDA

View Full Version : Jump Combination Question

Pages : [1] 2

Macassar88
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum section, but I am relatively new to Figure Skating (I used to just watch the Olympics and Worlds occasionally)
I don't really know much about the specific rules with Jump connections.

How is a Jump Connection given difficulty? I remember something about adding the two jumps, but is that it? What about having a half loop? Also, how many jumps can be stringed together and still be considered a combination? And what about GOEs?
Thanks

HisWeirness
02-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Here is a quick reply. Others can give more details.

How is a Jump Connection given difficulty?
The IJS (international judging system) assigns each jump a certain number of points. More points = more difficult.

There are two types of jump series:

1. Jump Combinations
In a jump combination the landing foot of a jump is the take off foot of the next jump. A three turn on one foot between the jumps without touching the ice with the free foot (or even with a touch, but no weight transfer) keeps the element in the frame of this definition allowing still to call it a combination (with an error).
If the jumps are connected with a non-listed jump, the element is called as a jump sequence. However half-loop when used in combinations/sequences is considered as a listed jump with the Value of a Loop. If the first jump of a two-jump-combination fails to be successful and turns out as a “non-listed jump”, the unit will still be considered as a jump combination.

2. Jump Sequences
A jump sequence may consist of any number of jumps of any number of revolutions that may be linked by non-listed jumps and/or hops immediately following each other while maintaining the jump rhythm (knee); there can be no turns/steps, crossovers or stroking during the sequence (Turns are three turns, twizzles, brackets, loops, counters, rockers. Steps are toe steps, chasses, mohawks, choctaws, curves with change of edge, cross-rolls). A jump sequence, consisting of only one listed jump together with other non- listed jumps is not considered a jump sequence, but will count as a solo jump.

I remember something about adding the two jumps, but is that it? And what about GOEs?
Jump combinations and sequences are evaluated as "one unit".

Jump combination: the Base Values of the jumps included are added. So, if jump 1 is worth 4 points and jump 2 is worth 2 points the combination gets 6 points. The numerical value of GOE for result calculation is related to the jump with the highest value.

A jump sequence is evaluated as one unit. The Base Values of the two most difficult jumps included are added. The factor of 0.8 is applied for the sum. Following that the numerical value of GOE for result calculation is related to the one of the two jumps with the highest value.

What about having a half loop?
Starting with this season, a half loop in a jump series is considered as a *listed* jump (points equal to a single loop jump) and means that a 3 jump series with a half loop (jump + half loop + jump) is now considered a jump combination and not a jump sequence. Therefore, the full value of the jumps in the combination are used instead of the 0.80 multiplier.

Also, how many jumps can be stringed together and still be considered a combination?
3 maximum.

Singles free skate rules:
A jump combination may consist of the same or another single, double, triple or quadruple jump. There may be up to three jump combinations or jump sequences in the Free Program. One jump combination could consist of up to three (3) jumps, the other two up to two (2) jumps.

Spinner
02-19-2011, 05:53 AM
To this I'd add one wish...

I wish they'd specify a special value to my fave comination, 1-foot Axel/3 Salchow!

Ozzisk8tr
02-19-2011, 06:29 AM

I wish they'd specify a special value to my fave comination, 1-foot Axel/3 Salchow!

Love this combo too. BTW 1 foor axel is also called a colledge named after Cecilia Colledge.

MR-FAN
02-19-2011, 06:54 AM

I thought this counts as a 1axel-3sal combo, or did they change the rules?

gkelly
02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I thought this counts as a 1axel-3sal combo, or did they change the rules?

It does. So it's worth a little less than 3S+2T combination, although it's undoubtedly harder to do.

seabm7
02-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I also have a quick question about a failed attempt for a jump combination. If a competitor has a trouble with landing of the first jump, does a step out, then successfully completes the second jump, how do they calculate points? I know it is called a sequence instead. But I'm not sure if they include the points from the second jump or not.

smarts1
02-19-2011, 10:43 PM
^ It depends. In the SP, if that happens, the second jump counts for no points. For example it could be called a 3 Flip + Combo.

I believe starting last season that a step out and a jump afterwards doesn't count as a sequence, since it would most likely involved a step in between the two jumps. So the first jump would be counted, but the second jump won't be.

seabm7
02-19-2011, 11:03 PM
^ It depends. In the SP, if that happens, the second jump counts for no points. For example it could be called a 3 Flip + Combo.

I believe starting last season that a step out and a jump afterwards doesn't count as a sequence, since it would most likely involved a step in between the two jumps. So the first jump would be counted, but the second jump won't be.

Thank! So they changed the rule. No wonder I got confused.

Macassar88
02-20-2011, 12:00 AM
His Weirness,
Thanks for that explanation. It was really helpful.

Coco
02-20-2011, 05:31 AM
It does. So it's worth a little less than 3S+2T combination, although it's undoubtedly harder to do.

They did raise the value of the single axel this past summer. And going by the GOE guidelines, a 1a-3sal should get higher GOE than a 3sal-2toe, all else being constant.

I'd like to see a 1a (1foot) - 2flip or sal - 3toe. That would be something.

Ozzisk8tr
02-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Here's a question, what if a skater dis a double loop, but landed on the other foot and went into a triple flip or sal? As in Triple toe, double loop(landing on the other foot) triple flip/sal. I know it would be considered a three jump combination, but what would they call the jump between the first and third jump?

jenlyon60
02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
That 2nd jump would be a double half-loop.

Macassar88
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
How would you do a 1axel into a 3salchow? Doesn't the axel land on the opposite foot? Would you need to change your turning direction on the sal?

seabm7
02-20-2011, 04:36 PM
How would you do a 1axel into a 3salchow? Doesn't the axel land on the opposite foot? Would you need to change your turning direction on the sal?

I think they were talking about a 1-foot axel, which lands on the inside edge of the left foot when the jumper is a CCW rotator, just like a half loop. So either a flip or a salchow is allowed as the second jump.

Before the discussion, I did not know that 1-foot axel was a listed jump.

I wonder, other than 1-foot axels and half hoops, are there any uncommon jumps which became listed recently?