PDA

View Full Version : Why are Ladies figure skates White?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ryanbfan
02-18-2011, 04:44 AM
I am doing a report on the color white. The report is on color psychology for a Color Fundamentals class. I picked white.

So my question is, why are Ladies skates white? Is there any specific reason? I have googled this and all I get are results to buy skates, so any info would be great. :)

SwingDancer
02-18-2011, 04:51 AM
The answer to that goes back to Sonia Henie (sp?) Sonia was the first to wear white boots, before that all skates for both Men and Women were black.

ryanbfan
02-18-2011, 04:55 AM
The answer to that goes back to Sonia Henie (sp?) Sonia was the first to wear white boots, before that all skates for both Men and Women were black.

I knew Sonia started it, but other than that did she have a reason for it? Sorry I'm being so nit picky - I want a really good grade :D

SwingDancer
02-18-2011, 05:16 AM
I knew Sonia started it, but other than that did she have a reason for it? Sorry I'm being so nit picky - I want a really good grade :D

Sonia wanted to stand out, and thank to her considerablly wealthy family, she was able to. From costumes and outfits designed by her personal taylor.

ryanbfan
02-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Sonia wanted to stand out, and thank to her considerablly wealthy family, she was able to. From costumes and outfits designed by her personal taylor.

Thank you so much for your help :)

ks777
02-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Ladies skates should be pink!

equatorial
02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Maroon for the ladiezzzzzzzzzz skates color!:soapbox:

skatepixie
02-18-2011, 07:41 AM

That. I also heard that she wanted white to go with a white dress for The Swan. I don't know if that's just legend, though.

Jot the Dot Dot
02-18-2011, 08:18 AM
The Kerrs should be plaid!

BaileyCatts
02-18-2011, 08:55 AM

Maroon for the ladiezzzzzzzzzz skates color!:soapbox:

:shuffle: I liked Pasha's purple skates. :scream:

briancoogaert
02-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I like it the way it is : black for men and white for ladies. I think it is so classy. And I thought it was natural ! So thanks to Sonja Henie !

Frau Muller
02-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Sonja wore white for her skating version of Pavlova's Swan. The whiteness stuck.

Iceman
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Prior to 1940 (at least the United States), it was pink for boys and blue for girls. No one seems to know why that changed.

Don't know, but Sonja may have wanted her skates to be the same color as the ice.

Interesting piece: Fashion Evolution of the Skating Dress
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/fashion-evolution-of-ice-skating-dress-885813

aliceanne
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I too had heard the Sonja Henie story. First she started wearing beige to be different, then when others copied she switched to white.

I can think of a practical reason. The leather underneath the polish is gray. I would think black and white would blend and cover gray best in addition to matching the most costumes.

Elite skaters probably pay up to $1,000 for a pair of skates. So having them in different colors is not cost effective.

Beige and soft pink are becoming popular for women because they blend with the tights and are also neutral colors.

As far as cultural reasons, aren't light colors usually considered feminine and dark colors masculine? I suppose women are supposed to be delicate, soft, graceful, and men strong and forceful.

I have seen pictures of John Curry in white skates. He was obsessed with the grace and flow of classical ballet. Some male skaters are uncomfortable with that and prefer skating as merely sport.

Iceman
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
According to an encyclopedia article (NOT Wiki), Sonja's skating version of Pavlova's "Dying Swan" was first seen in Milan, Italy in 1933. She was wearing white boots long before this, so it doesn't appear that The Swan played a role in her change of boot color.