PDA

View Full Version : Wine

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Allen
02-18-2011, 03:24 AM
I love wine. One of my favorites is the Coppola Claret. I had a friend who was a wine distributor, and she gave me a bottle for my birthday years ago. It's almost always my choice when I'm giving a bottle of wine as a gift.

I also really love the Coppola Pinot Noir.

myhoneyhoney
02-18-2011, 04:00 AM
oh, I'm going to have to try the ones you all have listed! Thank you. Since I'm so new at this I'm thinking of checking out some books from the library to educate myself more. Of course I also believe that there's really nothing better than hands on so that means LOTS of wine tasting too!

HisWeirness
02-18-2011, 04:36 AM
Someone used to have a really amazing thread on here about wines. I don't have time right now, you should try a few searches.
mpal2?? ;)

nerdycool
02-18-2011, 04:42 AM
Yes, I was just coming here to post that mpal2 created a nice thread about wine. Unfortunately for a few, it's in the Sekret Sources section.

Or one could take a look through this (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72976&highlight=wine) thread from last year for ideas.

Kruss
02-18-2011, 04:44 AM
I prefer semi-dry or dry wines. Aside from the amazing wine I had in Italy, I'm a huge fan of Prairie Fume (http://www.wollersheim.com/prairie_fume.asp) from Wollersheim Winery (http://www.wollersheim.com/) in Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin.

jl
02-18-2011, 04:49 AM
mpal2 really did have the authority on wine tasting.

I used to work in a wine research centre. That was fun.

'jl, we need you to run a 3mL sample of this 750mL bottle of wine to see how much sugar, alcohol, etc. are in it.'
'sure, can do John [the grad student I worked with]... what do you want me to do with the rest of it?'
'well, there's no use for it in the lab, so you can take it home.'
'are you serious?!?'
'quite. in fact, we encourage it, because Danie [the other grad student] and I got kind of tired of drinking these bottles.' :lol:

I have a pretty strong base in BC wines. I like our whites, because they're usually kind of austere and a little mineral in flavor, and have a crispness. A little like German whites but not as sweet. Reds here are so hit and miss.

I'm looking forward to when I turn 40. Apparently then, the 12-case of 2009 Chateau Montrose I bought will be mature. :lol: I'm not 100% sure if I had a bad bottle, but the 2002 Chateau Hosanna almost turned me off of Bordeaux and St Emilion to start, since it tasted like the negative points of both cab sauv and merlot.

If you live in Cali, I think one of the better deals for a cheap white is Fetzer Gewurztraminer. I think it's like $5-10 in Cali since it's grown there and it is quite a sugary white that has a lot of citrus to it. Very good with spicy foods and Asian fare. :)

Wine, wine, wine... :rollin:

Matryeshka
02-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I like all wines--white, red, dry, sweet, but I like them in cycles. For the longest time, I drank only reds, especially La Crema Pinot Noir :swoon: A few years ago, Whole foods introduced me to Proseco, and since then, I've been on a white wine kick.

I've found there's little to no correlation between price and taste for me. My favorite Shiraz is an Australian brand that costs $7.99, but I've never found a cheap champagne (champagne from France champagne) meaning under $50.00 that I've found palatable. OTOH, my favorite Cava (Spanish version of the "champagne method) is typically nine dollars, and I buy it at Wal-Mart. (Yes, in Louisiana, Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, and Walgreens all sell alcohol.)

Recently, I joined a wine meet-up group, and I like a lot of them, except the organizer. :lol: She's kind of a snot, and she told me that white wine is fine for a week-day night, but unless it's champagne or eating certain fish dishes, TRUE wine connosieurs drink red. Is this true? Is red considered the gold standard of wine, save champagne? I mean, even if she's right and it is, I'm still always going to drink the cheapest, sweetest white wine I can find just to annoy her, but I've never heard that before.

IceAlisa
02-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Please. Hubby and I went on a gazillion wine tasting tours and every time the person leading it would say that it's really about what YOU like. There are some very lovely whites out there and if she doesn't appreciate it, that's her loss.

And there's plenty of crappy champagne out there too.

barbk
02-19-2011, 02:26 AM
I don't enjoy champagne particularly, but the winery tour at Domaine Carneros (located between Napa and Sonoma in the southern part of the county) was remarkable. (And they're very careful to call it sparkling wine, not Champagne.) Having small tasting glasses of champagne while eating some really nice cheese on their patio was spectacular.

myhoneyhoney
02-19-2011, 04:25 AM
Barbk, I really enjoy drinking sparkling wines, they're fun. I'm going to have to try and visit Domaine Carneros sometime. My gosh, the chateau (http://www.domainecarneros.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&pageid=5fed2ac0-f30b-6388-2ca0-5beff7471968) looks gorgeous!

I'm a bit embarrassed that I'm not able to contribute in this thread considering I started it, but I am enjoying reading everyone's posts!

Allen
02-19-2011, 04:37 AM
I love sparkling wine. I used to always go for champagne, but my friend and I were at a fabulous restaurant in Athens, GA and they were out of the champagne on the menu. So, they offered us a bottle of prosecco. I buy prosecco just about every time I go to Whole Foods now.

I tend to drink red wine during the winter/early spring and white and sparkling during the late spring into the early part of fall.

nerdycool
02-19-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm not big into wine, although I certainly try. Whites are what I like, and I can honestly say I haven't tried a red that I liked even remotely. But maybe that's because I like sweet as opposed to dry.

My favorite that I've come across is Relax. Yeah, it's a cheaper wine, but it's good.

oleada
02-19-2011, 06:50 AM
I looove Proseco. I always pick up a bottle at Trader Joe's.

Stefanie
02-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I sometimes wish I didn't live in a such puritanical state so I could buy my wine in the grocery store. :lol:

Rock2
02-19-2011, 12:52 PM
I've been on a Malbec kick recently.

Catena, from Argentina I believe. Widely available and yummy. I always have a few bottles at home.