PDA

View Full Version : Billy Ray Cyrus blames "Hannah Montana" show for family troubles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

deltask8er
02-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Country crooner Billy Ray Cyrus blames Disney's "Hannah Montana" for his daughter Miley Cyrus' issues, angrily saying "the damn show destroyed my family."

Blaming publicists and Miley's handlers, Billy Ray gives an anguished interview in GQ's March issue, where he adds he wishes "Hannah Montana" never happened.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/miley_dad_regrets_hannah_eaD8G2RwZpK4bWC630RE0H#ix zz1E12fKXo6

GQ interview

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201103/billy-ray-cyrus-mr-hannah-montana-miley

genevieve
02-15-2011, 05:53 PM
cry me a river

overedge
02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Presumably, since Miley was underage when she did the show, someone had to give legal permission for her to do it. Like, er, um, her parents? If it was that destructive to her family, why did they let her keep being in it?

Veronika
02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
He was in the show too...he played her dad. I'm sure he got a good chunk of change from that.

Auntie
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
That article was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. :blah:

skaternum
02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
I didn't even know she was having "issues."

Rex
02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
cry me a river

Presumably, since Miley was underage when she did the show, someone had to give legal permission for her to do it. Like, er, um, her parents? If it was that destructive to her family, why did they let her keep being in it?

These.
I'm not in any rush to bust out the violins for this twat. I guess those handlers held him and his wife down in their seats at gunpoint when she did that skanky pole-dance, hmmm? :rolleyes:

Mayra
02-15-2011, 06:32 PM

From the article:

After the first two seasons he felt things changing. "The business was driving a wedge between us," he says. He tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids and that he now wonders whether that was a mistake. "How many interviews did I give and say, 'You know what's important between me and Miley is I try to be a friend to my kids'? I said it a lot. And sometimes I would even read other parents might say, 'You don't need to be a friend, you need to be a parent.' Well, I'm the first guy to say to them right now: You were right. I should have been a better parent. I should have said, 'Enough is enough—it's getting dangerous and somebody's going to get hurt.' I should have, but I didn't. Honestly, I didn't know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere."

I don't think Miley is at the Lohan stage yet, but unlike Dina Lohan, at least Billy Ray Cyrus is willing to take some measure of responsibility.

Satellitegirl
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Billy Ray Cyrus....the next Michael Lohan.

my little pony
02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
does that younger sister still have that children's lingerie line?

overedge
02-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I don't think Miley is at the Lohan stage yet, but unlike Dina Lohan, at least Billy Ray Cyrus is willing to take some measure of responsibility.

True enough, but also from the article:

He tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids

I suspect this has more to do with his family problems than Hannah Montana does.

Jenny
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Can't stand Miley and find myself having to urgently change the channel whenever she pops up on my screen, but ....

One of the cast members of SNL, Vanessa Bayer, does a fabulous Miley that always has me :rofl:. On March 5, in time to coincide with Daddy's interviews, Miley is guest hosting. Might be worth a look for :watch: purposes and to see how they play it with the actress who does her so well.

Skittl1321
02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
He was in the show too...he played her dad. I'm sure he got a good chunk of change from that.

He says he got $12,000 a week, then later $16,000 a week. So to me that's a ton of money, but for what that show was making Disney- it's peanuts. He says he hasn't made a penny off of Miley though, and that people wrongly assume he is her manager (because on the show he is the daughter's manager/dad).

I have no doubt that Hannah Montana ruined their family. As someone who was already in the entertainment industry, it seems like he should have been able to see it coming though.

This interview is a good warning to others with show-biz aspirations. However, I do think he is a bit delusional in the way he sees himself and some of the situations.

attyfan
02-15-2011, 07:04 PM
According to the article, "[h]e tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids and that he now wonders whether that was a mistake. " (emphasis added)

What was he doing before the show existed? I don't think that the show started with an infant Miley.

BigB08822
02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
First of all, this was a Disney show so I can see how it would be really easy to think "this is Disney, the most family friendly company, etc. etc." The thing you have to factor in is the fame and celebrity which seems to eat up adolescents and teens. Billy Ray should have known this being famous himself, that is where he failed. I'm also not aware that Miley is out of control? I know she had the salvia incident but is that so bad, really? If that is all she is doing or done? Also, what kind of control does he want of her now, she is 18. Even the best kids can go a little crazy when they turn 18 and move out on their own.