PDA

View Full Version : Can you beat IBM supercomputer Watson at trivia?

Pages : [1] 2 3

iloveemoticons
02-13-2011, 10:55 PM
So IBM has made a supercomputer called Watson to play Jeopardy, and it's scheduled to go up against Jeopardy champs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter on Monday's show. See how you do against it!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06/16/magazine/watson-trivia-game.html

Garden Kitty
02-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Yes, but this game allowed me to go first no matter how long I took to answer, which isn't how Jeopardy works. For most of the answers I got right, Watson came to the same answer, and it may have done so faster than I did.

Prancer
02-13-2011, 11:40 PM
I beat it, too, for the same reason as Garden Kitty, although I was surprised that Watson actually got the wrong answer a few times.

This was my favorite:

Sing a song about one of these, a sailor's bag for small articles.

Watson's answer: Papa's Got a Brand-new Bag.

:lol::lol::lol:

jcopper
02-14-2011, 12:22 AM
28 to 21.

I've always loved Jeopardy and my team won several quiz bowl tournaments in middle and high school, so I was confident, but I found out I was way out of practice. Still able to win though. I am interested in seeing how Ken Jennings does tomorrow.

I think a good strategy for the human players will be to buzz in immediately even if they're not sure and then use the few moments to narrow it down. Right or wrong, the humans can then judge the computer's response time.

rjblue
02-14-2011, 01:13 AM
I can't wait to watch the Jeopardy episodes. Nova had a show last week showing how many years and how much effort went into developing Watson.

mmscfdcsu
02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
I lost 3 questions due to my inability to spell :(

Matryeshka
02-14-2011, 02:18 AM
39 to 18!!!!!!!!!!!!! I RULLLLEZZZ.

iloveemoticons
02-14-2011, 03:01 AM
I totally bombed the bags category (although if it had been about handbags, maybe I would have done better :D).

rjblue
02-14-2011, 11:34 PM
They are airing the show right now. My kids and I are watching on the edge of our seats. I haven't tried to spoil myself so I don't know who wins.

Quite a different studio audience from the usual- lots of grey haired men in suits.

iloveemoticons
02-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Sounds like it should be interesting! I'm an hour behind here, but hoping for some hilariously off base answers from Watson!

skatingfan5
02-14-2011, 11:56 PM
I beat Watson 50-something to 5! And that was even when with my my of "ditty" was disallowed because I didn't realize that I had to retype "What is" that appeared in the answer box. Of course, the time thing gave me an advantage (and Watson answered the Elvis question, which I passed on), but some of Watson's "don't know" guesses were quite funny.

Matryeshka
02-15-2011, 01:53 AM
I watched it--I loved Watson's second and third guesses. The competitors are interesting too--I get the feeling Ken Jennings is not taking this all that seriously and is quite happy to guess and have some fun with Watson, but I think Brad *really* wants to win.

Skittl1321
02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
What were the results today?

rjblue
02-15-2011, 02:24 AM
They got through one board- Watson and Brad are tied with, I think, $5000 each, and Ken is in third with $2000.

Watson missed one when it answered "What are the Nineteen-twenties", after Ken had just guessed "The Twenties". And missed one when it just left out a qualifying word that a human would have known was necessary.

I agree that Brad really wants to win. Ken seems more laid back.

CynicElle
02-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Watson missed one when it answered "What are the Nineteen-twenties", after Ken had just guessed "The Twenties".
I agree that Brad really wants to win. Ken seems more laid back.

I laughed really hard when Alex said "Ken already guessed 'The Twenties', Watson!" so disapprovingly. Bad Watson -- no soup for you! :lol: