PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 Ga-Ga-Gram-Eminem-mys on CBS Sunday night

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41

marbri
02-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Huh?

She's not the first freak the music world has known. To my knowledge she's never said that or even hinted to that. I like that she's attempting to distinguish herself from the regular pop princess mode.

Less not forget she's only 23 years old yet she knows exactly the messages she wants to convey and to express through her music. She's in control of her total message and image.

What I've heard her say is that she is a performance artist and she wants to press buttons.

Long story short I just find her to be one of the biggest frauds on the music scene at this time. I don't find anything about her genuine or with substance.

I understand that others feel differently. That she's their momma monster.

She just sets my bullshit radar off to such a degree I can't help but snark.

Allen
02-14-2011, 04:45 AM
My actual favorite album this year was by Yeasayer, who even fewer people know than Arcade Fire. I don't see them ever winning a Grammy. :P

Seriously, if you like what you heard from them tonight, check them out. If you didn't like what you heard tonight, then you're a jerk with lousy taste in music. :P

I love Yeasayer!

My favorite albums this year were Caribou's "Swim," LCD Soundsystem's "This Is Happening," Bonobo's "Black Sands," and Sleigh Bells' "Treats"

I don't listen to the radio. I get most of my music from reading pitchfork.com and from listening to the Subterranean station on Direct TV.

I like The Suburbs a lot, but it's actually not my favorite Arcade Fire by any stretch.

Allskate
02-14-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm really surprised by the Arcade Fire win. When they lost best alternative album to The Black Keys, I thought they didn't have a chance. So, The Black Keys beat out the winner of best album! Weird! I guess there are different voters and criteria in each category, but it's still strange. But, fun!

BigB08822
02-14-2011, 04:46 AM
The only disappointment to me was when Justin Beiber did not win best new artist. Usually, that's the kiss of death and we either never hear from the winner of that category again and/or the act completely disgraces himself/herself/themselves. But since he didn't, Beiber Fever will probably annoy me for a few more years.

LOL! Didn't Adele win Best New Artist? I think she will be dodging the bullet and winning more next year.

marbri
02-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Well, Kanye West is happy!
http://twitter.com/kanyewest

:rofl: at some of his tweets. When I saw John Maher on the red carpet I also thought it was Johnny Depp.

BigB08822
02-14-2011, 04:47 AM
I'm really surprised by the Arcade Fire win. When they lost best alternative album to The Black Keys, I thought they didn't have a chance. So, The Black Keys beat out the winner of best album! Weird! I guess there are different voters and criteria in each category, but it's still strange. But, fun!

This happened in 2005, as well! Kelly Clarkson won Pop Vocal album over Paul McCartney and Gwen Stefani but they were both nominated for Album of the Year and Kelly was not. Haven't figured that out, yet...

Allskate
02-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Long story short I just find her to be one of the biggest frauds on the music scene at this time. I don't find anything about her genuine or with substance.

I understand that others feel differently. That she's their momma monster.

She just sets my bullshit radar off to such a degree I can't help but snark.

I think a lot of the people who enjoy her music still realize that she's not a particularly genuine or even original performer. A lot of people said similar things about Madonna. But, even though I think she's a phony and more concerned about fame and attention than the music, I do think she really can sing and write and play piano well. I just am not particularly impressed by the meat dresses, eggs, and other stunts.

Satellitegirl
02-14-2011, 04:50 AM
I think a lot of the people who enjoy her music still realize that she's not a particularly genuine or even original performer. A lot of people said similar things about Madonna. But, even though I think she's a phony and more concerned about fame and attention than the music, I do think she really can sing and write and play piano well. I just am not particularly impressed by the meat dresses, eggs, and other stunts.

^ This.

BigB08822
02-14-2011, 04:50 AM
:rofl: at some of his tweets. When I saw John Maher on the red carpet I also thought it was Johnny Depp.

They panned to Mayer in the audience and I thought it was Depp! Glad I am not the only one.

jenny12
02-14-2011, 04:51 AM

This has got to be my favorite:

I didn't know Howie Mandel was a part of Train .

marbri
02-14-2011, 04:53 AM
This has got to be my favorite:

I didn't know Howie Mandel was a part of Train .

He's a right bitch ;)

He seemed as confused as some of us by the new artist:

Damn... I can't find the words to explain how I feel about the best new artist award... Don't wanna say the wrong thing

Andora
02-14-2011, 04:54 AM

I agree with this, mostly. Her stunts are getting boring now, and don't strike me as particularly innovative or thought provoking. That doesn't mean she isn't talented.

BigB08822
02-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Interesting quote from Kanye about best new artist. I don't know how to take it. Was he thrilled, maybe he knows Esperanza or at least knows her music? Does he think she wasn't deserving, maybe because he has no clue who she is? Maybe he thinks Bieber deserves it because he has had, by far, the most attention? Hmm...

rjblue
02-14-2011, 04:56 AM
LOL! Didn't Adele win Best New Artist? I think she will be dodging the bullet and winning more next year.Maybe Rolling in the Deep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3JcQqw) will be next year's Need You Now. She should sing on the Grammys every year. Love her.

Allskate
02-14-2011, 05:00 AM
Interesting quote from Kanye about best new artist. I don't know how to take it. Was he thrilled, maybe he knows Esperanza or at least knows her music? Does he think she wasn't deserving, maybe because he has no clue who she is? Maybe he thinks Bieber deserves it because he has had, by far, the most attention? Hmm...

I'm guessing Kanye isn't familiar with Esperanza Spaulding. At least he won't call it racist. But, I'm surprised his agent lets him near any electronic device that allows him to tweet during the broadcast. :lol: