PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 Ga-Ga-Gram-Eminem-mys on CBS Sunday night

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Matryeshka
02-14-2011, 03:34 AM
There is a laundry list of performers/nominees who can blow off the stage the performers who have been shown tonight, and who should have been shown. NARAS claims to want to educate the populace about music, and then ends up pandering to the lowest common denominator when it comes to the live performances they show.

The Grammys (and to a lesser extent The Academy Awards and other award shows) walk a fine line between what's considered good and high-brow and what's considered popular. I remember in the 90s, the Grammys came under serious fire/criticism for nominating grunge and grunge-like acts who appealed to a very small percentage of people outside of critics. They got the same criticism some time in the 2000s--I remember a thread about the Grammys snarking about the amount of indies that no one had ever heard of being nominated. Now, they're nominating artists that have high sales-volumes, and they get critizied for being too commercial. It's a hard line to walk, and someone's going to be disappointed.

When nominating something, do you take into account record sales? Even if you don't like Ladies Gaga and Antebellum, they obviously speak to someone--lots of someone. OTOH, there's a good possibility that most of the artists nominated tonight will not be around next year, much less in twenty years. Who do you reward? There are very good arguments for both.

Music speaks very much in the present tense; it's the rare song/singer that stands the test of time. It's why classic rock stations play the same songs over and over and have seemingly less variety than stations that play current music. It's also not always obvious which songs will make it. In the 1950s and 60s, criticisms of appealing to just a sense of now and lowest-common denominator were leveled against Elvis Presley and The Beatles, and now, people who like those two acts are considered to have great taste in music.

I think most award shows do the best they can with what they get while balancing what's considered art by critics and enjoyable by the masses.

Allskate
02-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Did anyone else think that Esperanza didn't seem that surprised? I'm not thinking conspiracy theories here but I would think she was considered a long shot? I never heard a mention of her possibly winning. She is playing an instrument right now, hey...talent!

I didn't think she had a prayer, but she may have thought that the others would split the voting that took place based on familiarity and commercial success and she would get the votes based on respect for musical talent. I think that anyone familiar with her would not deny that she is incredibly talented even if she's not their cup of tea. That's not necessarily true of all the other artists in that category.

jenny12
02-14-2011, 03:35 AM
I was rooting for Florence and the Machine, but as long as the Biebs didn't win, I'm happy.

As much as I'm kinda blah on his new album, I thought Eminem's performance blew everyone else away so far.

Matryeshka
02-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Well this guy seemed to already have her win written into his speech ;)

I'm sure he had five different versions memorized. After all, it was only a couple of lines.

marbri
02-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Wheeee. Mick :cheer:

rfisher
02-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Mick still struts after all these years. Sigh. One of the best concerts I barely remember.

marbri
02-14-2011, 03:37 AM
I'm sure he had five different versions memorized. After all, it was only a couple of lines.

You're wrong :P ;)

topaz
02-14-2011, 03:38 AM
We are so mean :rofl: There's a place in hell for us. I'll go first and scope out a parking space.

We are just speaking the truth.

Mick Jagger sounds a 100% better than Bob Dylan.

Gotta give it to Mick, he can still entertainment even with his artifical hips/knees.

marbri
02-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Love the audience shots. Nicole Kidman having fun and one of those Kardashian´s looking clearly uncomfortable and unable to sway with Mick :rofl:

deltask8er
02-14-2011, 03:39 AM
I wonder who weighs less -- Mick Jagger, or Johnny Weir?

marbri
02-14-2011, 03:40 AM

I wonder who'll have the longer career :slinkaway

HeatherC
Half the crowd is standing and dancing and the other half has a total WTH look going on :rofl:

BigB08822

Johnny Weir's ego probably tips the scales a little. :lol: That was a joke...

rfisher
02-14-2011, 03:41 AM

Will people still know who Johnny is 50 years from now like they do Mick?

hirshey girl
02-14-2011, 03:41 AM
Mick has still got it after all this time. :hat1: To the other performers-that's how it's done on a live show. :kickass: