View Full Version : Premiere of Lady Gaga's new video today

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

michiruwater
02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
'Hold it against me' ? She can't even sing anymore. :scream:

She never could. The song's still way better though :P

olympic
02-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Since Madonna is being brought up here frequently, I have to mention that she hit the charts when I was a teen. I truly liked her, but we all should not forget the critics at the time [80s] were dismissing her as:

1. a Cyndi Lauper rip-off [at least for her first album and accompanying image]
2. Vocally, she was 'Minnie Mouse on Helium'
3. It was only about the money and image w/ her.
4. Her songs/lyrics were considered vapid according to the 'serious' stars of the 60s and 70s. [Mick Jagger said there was 'a central dumbness to her music.']
5. Her image was blatantly copied from Marilyn Monroe ['True Blue' phase], and Marlene Dietrich ['Blonde Ambition']

She seems much more respected now, but a lot of the stuff leveled at Lady Gaga sounds eerily familiar to someone who's old enough to firsthand remember both :shuffle:

olympic
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
She never could. The song's still way better though :P

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, just like me, but when I see/hear Britney Spears, it's the same thing - sexy blonde singing about sexy things, whispering into the mike, nothing edgy, a little slutty but nothing really eye-catching, not even a good voice

:)

mmscfdcsu
02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, just like me, but when I see/hear Britney Spears, it's the same thing - sexy blonde singing about sexy things, whispering into the mike, nothing edgy, a little slutty but nothing really eye-catching, not even a good voice

:)

:lol: They are all kids musicians. If you were a kid when you first heard Madonna, you thought she was great. As an adult you may hang on to some fondness for the music. Lady Gaga is just the current one for the latest batch of 10-17 year old kids.

michiruwater
02-12-2011, 04:43 PM
And I was a kid when Britney came out :P

Really, I just love the dubstep-inspired breakdown, which is definitely at least somewhat pushing the boundaries now, which Gaga is not doing in anything but her fashion sense. And Brit is the star of my workout playlist.

I don't entirely agree that only kids like their music though. There are some great Madonna tracks, certainly some great Gaga tracks (Bad Romance is just awesome, no way around that) and some great Britney tracks as well.

And I must admit, Britney's story makes me happy. There was a long time there where I really thought she was done for, that the obvious undiagnosed mental illness would ruin her, and to see her back on track making music and looking healthy and having survived all the manipulation and other issues from her childhood intact still surprises and elates me a little.

orbitz
02-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Since Madonna is being brought up here frequently, I have to mention that she hit the charts when I was a teen. I truly liked her, but we all should not forget the critics at the time [80s] were dismissing her as:

1. a Cyndi Lauper rip-off [at least for her first album and accompanying image]
2. Vocally, she was 'Minnie Mouse on Helium'
3. It was only about the money and image w/ her.
4. Her songs/lyrics were considered vapid according to the 'serious' stars of the 60s and 70s. [Mick Jagger said there was 'a central dumbness to her music.']
5. Her image was blatantly copied from Marilyn Monroe ['True Blue' phase], and Marlene Dietrich ['Blonde Ambition']

She seems much more respected now, but a lot of the stuff leveled at Lady Gaga sounds eerily familiar to someone who's old enough to firsthand remember both :shuffle:

Madonna's music began to earn critical respect when her "Like A Prayer" album came out. It was her third album, and it was a marked departure from the high-voiced singer of her first two albums. It was considered her best work up to that point.

Madonna had a sucession of stronger and stronger hit singles. I think Gaga had one good, extremely catchy song in Bad Romance, but every song after that was mainly dependent on her bloated videos to keep the public interest. Telephone and Aljenrao were mediocre songs at best. Of course only time will tell what kind of staying power she has, but she has yet to demonstrate that her music has grown or change.

Zokko!
02-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Who is Lady Gaga btw.? Just another attention whore which elevator muzak we've had the "pleasure" to "enjoy" 1000 times before, anyway! :blah:

IceJunkie
02-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I like Gaga and I like the song, but its not my favorite. I think the message is awesome, and I'm glad there are so many songs out right now (Pink's Perfect, Katy Perry's Firework) that are encouraging and motivating - and not just about partying, hooking up or relationships.

It does sound like Express Yourself, but Gaga has made a career out of emulating Madonna. It's not a huge deal. What I've always liked about Gaga is that she seems to truly love her fans, and you don't see that a lot. I went to Round Up, a hole in the wall gay club in Dallas with a few friends after her concert last summer and she made an appearance. She got her start performing in small clubs around the country, and she repaid the club by showing up. She could have gone to some swanky upscale club, but she didn't. She opted to hang out in a small, no-VIP-area bar for a couple hours instead.

As for Britney, I've always liked her. Yeah, never a great singer - she had a really good voice as a kid - but she had amazing stage presence and catchy tunes. You don't see that anymore in her shows for whatever reason. I don't know if she isn't motivated to dance well anymore, injuries, over-medicated...who knows. She also seemed like a genuinely sweet person before she got sick. There was a point in 2007 where I seriously thought she was going to die, so it's been great that she's been able to get some margin of stability back in her life.

Sally1214
02-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Say it sounds like "Express Yourself" all you want. But, I think Lady Gaga has another HIT on her hands.

orbitz
02-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Say it sounds like "Express Yourself" all you want. But, I think Lady Gaga has another HIT on her hands.

It's currently no. 1 on itunes. I'm sure it'll be a hit, because she's the IT girl at the moment.

olympic
02-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Madonna's music began to earn critical respect when her "Like A Prayer" album came out. It was her third album, and it was a marked departure from the high-voiced singer of her first two albums. It was considered her best work up to that point.

Madonna had a sucession of stronger and stronger hit singles. I think Gaga had one good, extremely catchy song in Bad Romance, but every song after that was mainly dependent on her bloated videos to keep the public interest. Telephone and Aljenrao were mediocre songs at best. Of course only time will tell what kind of staying power she has, but she has yet to demonstrate that her music has grown or change.

You are right. I thought she was at her best in the '89 - '91 era, but she hit a stinker with 'Erotica' in 1992 and it was one of her lowest selling albums, she rebounded, but tanked later with 'American Life' in 2003. Her highest selling album was 'True Blue' w/ 24,000,000 copies. I think Lady Gaga is already at 10,000,000 - 12,000,000 after a couple of years.... We'll see what happens.

FTR, I like both. Madonna has said nothing but good things about Lady Gaga and vice-versa. If they don't care about competing w/ one another, why should we?

Hats off to Madonna, but quite a few of her songs were :blah: as well.

BTW, 'Born this Way' is squashing Britney Spears 'Hold it Against Me' in its first week of sales, and it is looking to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100:

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/174247/Lady-Gaga%5C%5Cs-%5C%5CBorn-This-Way%5C%5C-Delivers-Record-Setting-Debut-On-Charts.htm

antmanb
02-15-2011, 11:03 AM
That was my thought within 5 seconds into "Born This Way." It's practically the same chord progression. :lol:

Have you ever seen the Axis of Awesome do their "all great pop songs are just the same four chord progression" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

And they're right!

Ant

antmanb
02-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Alejandro always reminded me distinctly of La Isla Bonita.

There is a really funny spoof on youtube of Alejandro with elements of La Isla Bonita together with nearly all of Ace of Base's back cataolgue which had the same chord progression.

Really, I just love the dubstep-inspired breakdown, which is definitely at least somewhat pushing the boundaries now, which Gaga is not doing in anything but her fashion sense. And Brit is the star of my workout playlist.

Music reviewers keep on writing about the "dubstep-inspired" breakdown in the song as if it is some almighty miracle! I have ot say firstly dubstep has been around since the late 90s and certainly in UK gay clubs there a dubstep versions on most pop songs doing the rounds including most of Britney, Madonna, Kylie, Gaga's songs.

I love hold it against me, and the reason I love it so much is because it sounds like the bastard child of Shattered Glass and Circus!

I didn't get all the praise of the breakdown, since it seems forumulaic for Britney songs. Either way I do like it (and prefer it to Born This Way - but i haven't heard Born This Way nearly as much as Hold It Against Me so it might be a grower)

Ant

gingercrush
02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Did Britney ever stop being sweet? I can't recall a negative comment she's made about any singer.

Lady Gaga is alright I guess and sure this song looks to be a hit. But who knows how memorable she will be in 10 years time. Hell I can't name a single Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey song without having to google. And both of them were/are superstars.

antmanb
02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Did Britney ever stop being sweet? I can't recall a negative comment she's made about any singer.

Lady Gaga is alright I guess and sure this song looks to be a hit. But who knows how memorable she will be in 10 years time. Hell I can't name a single Janet Jackson or Mariah Carey song without having to google. And both of them were/are superstars.

I can't believe that you can't think of a single Mariah Carey song this soon after Christmas ;)

Ant