PDA

View Full Version : Premiere of Lady Gaga's new video today

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Cyn
02-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Alright geezers, remember this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasCZL072fQ)?

Wheeeeeee Dale Bozzio - She did it way before Madonna or GaGa ever did :respec: :cheer2:

I have this album (Spring Session M) on vinyl - I need to find a way to convert that vast collection of music onto CD :wall: .

Southpaw
02-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Wheeeeeee Dale Bozzio - She did it way before Madonna or GaGa ever did :respec: :cheer2:

I think she kind of went batshit crazy, though. :cold:

Indra486
02-12-2011, 02:22 AM
The song itself is okay. I don't love it as I did with Bad Romance or Telephone on the first run-through but:

Orient made? Chola descent?

Highly inappropriate for a song about acceptance and no judgment on a person's gender, race and sexuality.

orbitz
02-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Thumbs down. The song sounds more like a filler and not one ready for a single release.

hydro
02-12-2011, 03:40 AM
Total Express Yourself knock-off, right down to the gospel at the end. Heard the similarity the instant the chorus started the first time I listened. Just shows what a trail-blazer Madonna really is. Wasn't she talking about all this born-this-way stuff in 1986? I guess Lady Gaga is needed for a new generation (which means I'm getting old :shuffle:)

The video should be interesting. Lady Gaga is as much a visual pop star as she is a musical one. Hopefully it'll be more fun and not so preachy.

The Grammys performance is also being hyped more than a Weir SP.

BigB08822
02-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Again, Madonna took Express Yourself from the Staples Sisters song Respect Yourself. So her trailblazing was thanks to those that came before her as is true for everyone.

olympic
02-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Sorry for the misleading initial post. I thought a video was coming out. :(

I've listened to it twice

I guess I need my eyes opened. How is this 'Express Yourself'? It sounds more like rock n roll - guitar riffs, etc.

Express Yourself was more electronic, softer, less edgy than this

And I was a teen during the Madonna years and annoyed my parents with my allegiance to her,

so I guess I know nuthin' 'bout music because I liked it. :)

ETA : http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/12/us-singlereview-idUSTRE71B0BK20110212

Reuters is giving it the thumbs up

tarotx
02-12-2011, 05:15 AM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/88460/lady-gagas-born-this-way-vogue-yourself/

Rhianna
02-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Alejandro always reminded me distinctly of La Isla Bonita.

olympic
02-12-2011, 05:44 AM
.........and b) Britney's new song was waaaaay better.

'Hold it against me' ? She can't even sing anymore. :scream:

phoenixflamezzz
02-12-2011, 05:55 AM
meh. big old meh. maybe it was hyped too much (by everyone else and also by her own pr camp)

the sentiment behind the song is nice, but someone posted this quote on another board, and it kind of makes sense.

Below are the lyrics to Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," the anthem she has written for all the LGBT teens out there, her beloved "little monsters." I hate it already. A gay anthem, whether it's "I Will Survive" or "The Man That Got Away" or "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going," BECOMES a gay anthem because we find ourselves empathizing with the singer's passion or pain or exuberance. It's the realization that their pain is our pain too, that their joy is our joy etc. It's that our commonality has brought us together. It's ALMOST NEVER because it was written FOR GAY MEN TO HELP GAY MEN DEAL WITH BEING GAY MEN. That's just cynical and obvious. It's like bit like Susan Sontag's explanation of "pure camp" being something that strives for greatness but fails spectacularly, while "contrived camp" is something that intentionally sets out to be bad and cannot, therefore, be as satisfying. Gaga here isn't allowing us the choice of deciding whether or not this song will be a gay anthem (like "Bad Romance"), she's TELLING US that it is, and that makes it somehow less pure and less satisfying.

and yeah, poor choice in using "chola" and orient".

BigB08822
02-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Alejandro always reminded me distinctly of La Isla Bonita.

Alejandro had an eery similarity to Ace of Base's "Don't Turn Around" I am sure there are videos on youtube comparing them.

Here is one showing the comparison of BTW to Express Yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKAVVe1rXQ

Here is one comparing Alejandro and DTA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g--BGM9ty6c

The second is less obvious and more about the beat, but the first is just hard to not notice but I don't think it is a matter of theft like some want to play it up to be.

tarotx
02-12-2011, 07:23 AM
I guess people would say it was thief because so much of Gaga is similar to Madonna.

My take is that this is what happens when you have an idea of what you want to create and you allow the idea to rule instead of allowing it to be natural.

orbitz
02-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Again, Madonna took Express Yourself from the Staples Sisters song Respect Yourself. So her trailblazing was thanks to those that came before her as is true for everyone.

But Madonna's song was/is good. Gaga's song is instantly forgettable.

BigB08822
02-12-2011, 04:14 PM
But Madonna's song was/is good. Gaga's song is instantly forgettable.

That's your opinion. :P