PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Books

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

pat c
02-10-2011, 01:21 AM
:confused:

Why on earth would e-books be available only in Nigeria? They're e-books. Click and download. Here are some places to start:

How many books does your local library have on Nigerian politics and how up to date are they? Because if they are typical library books, they are checked out so infrequently that they haven't been updated in years.

I said it was just an example. ;)

But it's true about the Cdn lit, and I also said that will probably change.

Ebooks are wonderful for some things. My niece works for the govt, she travels a lot, and for her to have access to acts etc on a device like the ipad (the e-reader) is awesome.

But not every book in the world will be available to read on an e-reader.
I'm not saying that we as individuals can access every book either, but I wonder how publishing companies will deal with niche subjects.

skatingfan5
02-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I have an e-reader and photos look just fine on it :confused:. Give it a few years and photos will look even better.

What are the other kinds of books you think would be inappropriate for an e-reader?Some of my larger than folio-sized art, photography, and architecture books which literally are the size of a small coffee table. :lol: Also, I sometimes like to make comments in the margins of my books. Sort of related, but I also still prefer to write first drafts, rather than type them, and I find it nearly impossible to revise on the computer and have to work from a printed text. Finally, I just really like the feel of paper and much prefer it to plastic.
I do think books will die, although perhaps not as quickly as some are predicting. After all, newspapers are still (barely) hanging on, and I thought most of them would be gone by now.I'm pretty sure that I will be dead long before books die out, which I suppose is a good thing for the likes of me.

Prancer
02-10-2011, 01:31 AM
I said it was just an example. ;)

Yes, I know that. But your assumption was based on thinking in terms of books, not digital media.

But it's true about the Cdn lit, and I also said that will probably change.

Absolutely.

Because....?

I'm not saying that we as individuals can access every book either, but I wonder how publishing companies will deal with niche subjects.

Niche markets are booming on e-readers and are expected to continue to do so because it's so difficult to get hard-copy niche books. Remember when there was no internet and you wondered if there were other figure skating fans out there? Well, here we are. The same thing will happen with books; you want books on Russian cooking written in Croatian? There will be a website just for you. Publishers as we know them now will not exist in another decade or two.

Some of my larger than folio-sized art, photography, and architecture books which literally are the size of a small coffee table. :lol:

Well, yeah, art books may be a problem. :lol:

Also, I sometimes like to make comments in the margins of my books.

You can make comments in e-books. You just won't be able to handwrite them :). Yet. That's supposedly in the works.

skatingfan5
02-10-2011, 01:44 AM
Well, yeah, art books may be a problem.And those large-format art books comprise at least half my collection.
You can do make comments in e-books. You just won't be able to handwrite them :). Yet.Although I know that there has been a "comments" function for all sorts of electronic documents for a long time now, I have never been motivated to use them yet. Not sure that handwriting on a ipad or some such similar device would be much better for me.

I didn't have a computer of my own until about 3 Christmases ago -- and it's been out of commission since June 2009. :( Whereas my pens still have ink flowing and if I can find my stationery amidst all the books, I can write my weekly letter to my mother (who will NOT under any circumstances go near a computer). In some ways I suppose I really am a bit of a Luddite (although I do have a cell phone). :shuffle:

smurfy
02-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Cost- interesting to think about. In the early 90s I worked for a small educational publisher. Cost of printing books was about 20 percent of what we sold book. Author royalties were 10 - 18 percent. Authors still want their royalties and I would think they want the same dollar mat whether it is paper or e. Develpment in addition to royalties could be expensive, depending on the book. Publisher still has to cover costs and make a profit. The company I worked for made some money, but not a lot, and the owner was cheap.

4rkidz
02-10-2011, 03:11 AM
I just bought an e reader.. not really using it yet as still figuring it out :P But one thing I still need my paperbacks for is my favourite relaxation - having a nice hot, deep bath and reading my book and I don't think I'll do that with the e reader :lol: But as I travel a lot an e reader seemed more practical than taking a bunch of books.. but there will always be a place for my paperbacks camping.. and taking a bath :D

smileyskate
02-10-2011, 03:28 AM
I don't have one as of yet, but are there any real studies out there which confirm that it is not harmful on the eyes, especially those of the children, to read into the light on the screen without a lamp on? It seems we hear of adults complaining of eyestrain from using a computer on and off throughout the day so to me this is another concern.

immoimeme
02-10-2011, 03:46 AM
The books I have now do not require electricity to use. That's big advantage to me.

pat c
02-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Quote:Originally Posted by pat c

Because....?

Bandwidth. Big debate in Canada right now over internet bandwidth charges etc. And it is a valid concern.

The books I have now do not require electricity to use. That's big advantage to me.

It's something to consider. :)

Prancer
02-10-2011, 04:27 AM
I don't have one as of yet, but are there any real studies out there which confirm that it is not harmful on the eyes, especially those of the children, to read into the light on the screen without a lamp on? It seems we hear of adults complaining of eyestrain from using a computer on and off throughout the day so to me this is another concern.

No studies, but here are what some doctors say on the issue: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/do-e-readers-cause-eye-strain/

Do you often go for days without electricity?

Bandwidth. Big debate in Canada right now over internet bandwidth charges etc. And it is a valid concern,

In terms of accessibility or expense? I can see added expense being an issue, but not availability of source material. And if the figures cited here (http://business.financialpost.com/2011/02/05/how-much-does-bandwidth-actually-cost/) are true, it shouldn't add a whole lot, unless you are being gouged. That does appear to be the plan, however.:rolleyes:

pat c
02-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Expense. So, if you're being limited as to bandwidth, ebooks are not the way to go. We had a satellite dish that used Hughes Net. I have zero use for satellite internet companies. Zero. They cap bandwidth, except they call it fair access policy, and shorten it to fap. I think they have a couple of the letters all wrong. The f is right tho. ;)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/ubb-internet/small-business-owners-speak-out-against-usage-based-internet-billing/article1901442/

and the crtc:

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-77.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/02/03/crtc-internet-clement.html

triple_toe
02-10-2011, 06:03 AM
God, I certainly hope books don't become obsolete, although I highly doubt that will happen.

I may have, erm, gotten into several (very) heated arguments about my disdain for e-readers :shuffle:. I love the feel and smell of books, plus the physical sensation of turning pages. It's part of the whole experience. My perception of the story the book contains has to match its physical characteristics. For example, if I'm reading a work of classical literature, I feel like the physical book itself has to measure up to the great story within it. It *must* be hardcover, with good quality paper, beautiful print, and an elegant and fitting cover. If it's a piece of trashy chicklit, it has to be paperback with that thin grey-ish paper that makes a lot of noise when you turn the pages. Serious books, like textbooks or political memoirs, have to be heavy and a little intimidating to signify their importance. Something like a collection of O. Henry's short stories or Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat should be small and light, reflective of the fun, light humour they contain. Anything by Edgar Allan Poe should be dark and menacing.

I also like to be able to tell the relationship I have with my books by how tattered they are. My Prisoner of Azkaban started to completely fall apart when 10-year old me decided to re-read it about 50 times before the fourth Harry Potter came out. :lol: I eventually had to buy a new copy a few years ago, but I refused to throw out the old one because I felt that how worn out it was a direct correlation of how much love I put into it. :o But that was a book I took everywhere, from the beach, to the rink, to under my covers at 3 am when I should have been asleep. There are certain books in my collection that I feel too much respect for to drag around with me, ones that I only use bookmarks for because dog ear-ing them seems inappropriate. Then, there are the books I never finished reading that still have that new book stiffness to them. Those are often the ones that were given to me as a present, or assigned as reading in middle/high school :slinkaway.

I could never use an e-reader. It's so plastic and cold, it's like stripping the books of their soul. I've tried, and it just isn't the same. My family members who use them have learned not to bring it up :lol:. I freely admit that I am a fanatical book lover, and I hardly expect anyone to agree with or even read the crazy ramblings I've expressed above. :slinkaway

Karina1974
02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I could never use an e-reader. It's so plastic and cold, it's like stripping the books of their soul. I've tried, and it just isn't the same. My family members who use them have learned not to bring it up :lol:. I freely admit that I am a fanatical book lover, and I hardly expect anyone to agree with or even read the crazy ramblings I've expressed above. :slinkaway

Well... I agree with you. I love my books too. And your reference to digital media as being "cold" is not the first time I've heard that. One of my friends is a musician with 10 albums to his credit and a band in its 31 year of existance, and he said in a recent interview that digital music is cold and sterile, whereas analog (LPs and tapes) is a "warm" format. Which is true - digital doesn't reproduce the full spectrum of sound they way analog can, nor does digital vs. film.

NinjaTurtles
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
That's an interesting question. I went to a seminar on e-books and the leader of the seminar said that he expects e-book prices to go down as they become more common; it is the nature of the market for prices to drop as something becomes more common.

However, I just read an article by a publishing consultant who said that he expects the prices to go up as e-books become more available and the devices more common, because of what e-books will do to the publishing industry as a whole.

I imagine that the publishing industry will follow a trajectory similar to that of music industry. With books being available in a digital format piracy is inevitable; I could easily purchase an eReader and download all of its content, illegally, from a torrent website.

Of course, bookstores may remain more common than your local record/CD shop. I think many utilize bookstores as a reference resource and apparently the internet hasn't shutdown the library system (yet).

Plus, all of the latte sipping hipsters will need somewhere to congregate when they get the urge publicly freshen the ink on their blogs or monitor the status of their farms on Facebook.

pat c
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I wont be buying ebooks until the prices go down. I have yet to figure out why the cost is so high when it is in digital format. Too much for me to pay, if I am going to spend that much then I want a physical copy to put on a shelf.

This is the same for movies on iTunes and such. Why am I paying $4.99 to rent a new movie on iTunes??? It probably costs them $ .10 to send that movie over the internet. Are licensing fees that expensive?

You and my so. :) I think they'll charge what they can. Records for instance are on a bit of a comeback. I was in a bookstore a couple of days ago and they had vinyl for sale. :)

I d/l music, not as much as I used to, but I do belong to a site that I can get the whole album for say $1.00. If I belong to itunes, which I do, I pay $1 a song.

I think that might be what happens with digital books as well, NA will pay $10 for a new release, and somewhere else in the world will pay maybe $2.

I'm not adverse to ebooks, I think they are a great thing in so many ways, but I haven't taken the time to find out the answers for some of the questions that I have and might not be an answer for.