PDA

View Full Version : What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

skatemommy
02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
As an aside, I'm taking my widowed (Canadian) mum Monday to the "Princess Diana" traveling exhibit at the Grand Rapids Art Museum. It is my understanding that her wedding dress will be on display. I'm looking forward to it, but I think I might shed a tear too.

TygerTyger
02-12-2011, 09:40 PM
One shouldn't judge the attitudes of previous generations by today's standards. No doubt our own attitudes will be strange to the generations yet to come.

Oh for sure!
But, I remain convinced that soliciting money from Children and the poor in order to buy jewelry for one of the wealthiest people in the world is, and always was, :eek::scream:
There were some people who :rolleyes: at the Royals, even in Queen Victoria's day.

cygnus
02-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Oh for sure!
But, I remain convinced that soliciting money from Children and the poor in order to buy jewelry for one of the wealthiest people in the world is, and always was, :eek::scream:
There were some people who :rolleyes: at the Royals, even in Queen Victoria's day.

Checking the book, the amount for Queen Victoria was to be no more than one penny from each woman.

I do get your point, but it's not like the people were taxed or anything- donations were strictly voluntary. If the people wanted to give- who was to say no? There may or may not have been pressure- I don't know.

And yes, there was very strong anti monarchist feeling in Victorian times- particularly in the 1870s, when the Queen was still in seclusion mourning Albert and was seen as not doing her job.

AragornElessar
02-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Can we please stop going back on what was or wasn't right to happen close to a hundred years ago?

There's nothing I *hate* more than people using 21st Century beliefs to pass judgement on something that was perfectly acceptable during a far different time period.

kwanfan1818
02-13-2011, 12:42 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't wear a tiara on her wedding day, but instead have a jeweled hair clip of some sort.
When I first saw the photo in the blog for the The Empress Marie Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau, I thought it was a type of jeweled piece that was worn on the side, and when I saw the latest Weir fashion photo (http://photos.upi.com/sbs/4600/e638178193ac540a29488ac2083eba34/Villionaire-by-Richie-Rich-fashion-show-at-Mercedes-Benz-Fashion-Week-In-New-York_4.jpg), wondered if he was trying to copy it. Then I searched for a better image, and found it was worn in the front:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/MargaretEmpressMariaFeodorovnaSapph.jpg

Maybe Weir's designer will lend Ms. Middleton the thing on Weir's head?

taf2002
02-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Diana wore the Spencer family tiara on her wedding day. I believe it went to her brother on her death.

The talk is that William will be made Duke or Earl of something on his wedding day. Is there actually a formal ceremony for that at some point?

It is my understanding that there is no such thing as a Royal Earl, just Royal Dukes. When a prince becomes king his brothers become Royal Dukes.

A woman who marries a regular Duke becomes Duchess upon marrying but I'm not sure that's the case with Royal Dukes. But the Queen will probably confer a title on Kate. Diana became Princess Diana of Wales, but since Charles is still Prince of Wales she Kate won't have that title.

I'm too American to view any of this as being appropriate in this day & age & I would resist any US money going to this nonsense. But if the English want their monarchs, they aren't hurting anyone, so be it.

emason
02-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Well, when Edward got married he became the Earl of Wessex, not the Duke.

Lorac
02-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Well, when Edward got married he became the Earl of Wessex, not the Duke.

That was apparently at his request - as he didn't want to put to much pressure on Sophia and allow her to be a smaller part of the Family. It would have usually been expected for him to become a royal Duke but the Queen apparently agreed with his request after seeing the mess Fergie made of being a royal Duchess ;) I think it has worked well - Sophia has grown slowly more confident being in the public eye and they have also kept their children away from prying camera lenses - more kudos to them.

William - being the 2nd in line to the throne - will absolutely get a Royal Dukedom confered on him on the occassion of his marriage - and Kate will also have the title Duchess - with HRH in front of it.

nerdycool
02-13-2011, 04:38 AM
A woman who marries a regular Duke becomes Duchess upon marrying but I'm not sure that's the case with Royal Dukes. But the Queen will probably confer a title on Kate. Diana became Princess Diana of Wales, but since Charles is still Prince of Wales she Kate won't have that title. It works the same for Royal Dukes as well as just regular ones... the wife automatically assumes the female version of her husband's title(s). So Kate will become Princess of Wales should William be invested with that title when Charles becomes King, but until then, she'll just be HRH Princess William, Duchess of [insert duchy here]. It's rare that a title in conferred upon a female since titles usually pass through the male line.

I'm too American to view any of this as being appropriate in this day & age & I would resist any US money going to this nonsense. The US does the same type of thing with the President. Who do you think pays for the Inauguration? State dinners? Travels abroad? We, the taxpayers. So it's the same thing, but with a lot less jewelry. :)

Well, when Edward got married he became the Earl of Wessex, not the Duke.It was announced at the time of his marriage, that when Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, passes on, Prince Edward will inherit his title. And not to sound crude or anything, but it will be relatively soon, too. Prince Philip turns 90 this year.

TygerTyger
02-13-2011, 05:50 AM
The US does the same type of thing with the President. Who do you think pays for the Inauguration? State dinners? Travels abroad? We, the taxpayers. So it's the same thing, but with a lot less jewelry. :)

:rolleyes:
Right, an inauguration is *just like* a coronation.
The last few centuries never happened.

AragornElessar
02-13-2011, 06:13 AM
I started this thread in the intent of having fun and enjoying chatting w/others who are as excited about the upcoming Wedding. However, it's certainly gone in a different direction the last couple of pages.

I get some could care less and I do respect that, *BUT*!!

This thread is in Off Topic. Not PI. If you want to talk about the evils of Monarchy, and yes I do know it's not the greatest thing in the world, go to PI and start a thread in there, as that's where it belongs.

Please leave this one to those of us that do love the Royals, are looking forward to this Wedding and also adore the Jewelry that will be on display/wondering what will be on Kate's head. As it was intended to be.

taf2002
02-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I started this thread in the intent of having fun and enjoying chatting w/others who are as excited about the upcoming Wedding. However, it's certainly gone in a different direction the last couple of pages.

I get some could care less and I do respect that, *BUT*!!

This thread is in Off Topic. Not PI. If you want to talk about the evils of Monarchy, and yes I do know it's not the greatest thing in the world, go to PI and start a thread in there, as that's where it belongs.

Please leave this one to those of us that do love the Royals, are looking forward to this Wedding and also adore the Jewelry that will be on display/wondering what will be on Kate's head. As it was intended to be.

Would you like everyone to PM their post to you so you can approve it before they post it? Thread drift is a natural thing around here, if case you weren't aware.

allezfred
02-13-2011, 05:26 PM

Thread drift happens on FSU. And it's not like it has gone totally off topic. Still talking about royalty here. My advice is to keep posting about what you like and ignore what you don't. :)

Parsley Sage
02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
It was announced at the time of his marriage, that when Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, passes on, Prince Edward will inherit his title. And not to sound crude or anything, but it will be relatively soon, too. Prince Philip turns 90 this year.

I believe he will inherit the title when both of his parents pass on. I think it is a hereditary title that would be passed to Charles first and then when Charles takes the throne he can make Edward Duke of Edinburgh.

zippy
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
That was apparently at his request - as he didn't want to put to much pressure on Sophia and allow her to be a smaller part of the Family. It would have usually been expected for him to become a royal Duke but the Queen apparently agreed with his request after seeing the mess Fergie made of being a royal Duchess ;) I think it has worked well - Sophia has grown slowly more confident being in the public eye and they have also kept their children away from prying camera lenses - more kudos to them.

In addition to that, that reliable source Wikipedia says that Edward asked to be Earl of Wessex because he was inspired by Colin Firth's character, Lord Wessex, in Shakespeare in Love. Otherwise, he would have been created Duke of Cambridge. Interesting!