PDA

View Full Version : What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

paulac
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
The "Fringe" and the "Queen Alexandra Russian" seem the most modern/contemporary and would suit the style of dress that Katherine would likely select.

Agree, love both of these

Jenny
02-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that that is the tiara she gets. First, it is associated with Diana, and rumor is that it was "left" to William. And second, there is also a rumor that William will be made Duke of Cambridge, so the CLK would be an entirely appropriate gift.

I don't have issue with her getting this tiara. It's lovely and I think it will look good on her (photoshopped pics notwithstanding). I just would rather not see her wearing it on her wedding day.

This is the one Diana wore for her wedding? If that's the case the only way I'd like to see it on Kate is if they modify it to make it her own. But I still don't like the idea of her wearing all of Diana's jewels on her wedding day, and it's maybe even a bit creepy.

Would she wear a tiara for William's investiture as Duke of Cambridge? Because then that would be the perfect occasion, particularly if she is also made Duchess of Cambridge.

Parsley Sage
02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
This is the one Diana wore for her wedding? If that's the case the only way I'd like to see it on Kate is if they modify it to make it her own. But I still don't like the idea of her wearing all of Diana's jewels on her wedding day, and it's maybe even a bit creepy.

Would she wear a tiara for William's investiture as Duke of Cambridge? Because then that would be the perfect occasion, particularly if she is also made Duchess of Cambridge.

Diana wore the Spencer family tiara on her wedding day. I believe it went to her brother on her death.

The talk is that William will be made Duke or Earl of something on his wedding day. Is there actually a formal ceremony for that at some point?

danceronice
02-11-2011, 03:44 PM

I agree. I'm not sure if I were here that I'd want to wear tons of things associated with someone who's practically St. Diana the Martyr now (yes, I'm being sarcastic) AND who is a HUGE style icon. It's not fair to her but Kate's not going to come out well on that comparison, even if I at least think she's a lot prettier.

barbk
02-11-2011, 04:24 PM

If he is named Duke of Cambridge, and she is married to him, doesn't she automatically become Duchess of Cambridge? I'm a little confused on the titles thing, :slinkaway I wonder what's wrong with her simply being Catherine, Princess William?

nerdycool
02-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, Kate will automatically become titled when William does (well, the instant they are married anyway)... whatever it may be, although there usually isn't a lot of fanfare at investitures. William's investiture will probably take place a day or two before the wedding, and there will likely only be a press release about it. The only one that has a bigger ceremony is when someone is made Prince of Wales.

As for just being called Princess William, there's nothing wrong with it. But it's standard family practice for the groom to be granted either an Earldom or Dukedom as a wedding gift from the monarch... even for men marrying into the royal family. The most current exceptions are the men Princess Anne married. They declined elevations.

MLIS
02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I would be surprised to see Kate wear the fringe, as I have heard speculation that if Zara Phillips wears a tiara at her wedding in June (July?) it might be that one, given that her mother and grandmother both wore it at their weddings.

I think the Cambridge Lovers Knot is a beautiful piece, but I'd like to see Kate not always be saddled with things so closely associated with Diana. I know the intent is to honour Diana and make her part of the day, which is important to William (as it would be to anyone who lost a beloved parent at such a young age), but I hope Kate will be allowed to develop her own style and look.

Jenny
02-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I think the Cambridge Lovers Knot is a beautiful piece, but I'd like to see Kate not always be saddled with things so closely associated with Diana. I know the intent is to honour Diana and make her part of the day, which is important to William (as it would be to anyone who lost a beloved parent at such a young age), but I hope Kate will be allowed to develop her own style and look.

I think the engagement ring was a big nod in that direction, big enough to cover it. Weddings are about beginnings - this is Kate's day, not Diana's.

PDilemma
02-12-2011, 12:34 AM
I think the engagement ring was a big nod in that direction, big enough to cover it. Weddings are about beginnings - this is Kate's day, not Diana's.

But it is also William's day. And when he thinks of Diana, he certainly doesn't think of DIANA, PRINCESS OF WALES (all caps for martyred emphasis). He thinks of his mother. And I think a lot of people are looking at the ring and everything else through their own perceptions and not his view. I also think that after being with him for eight years, Kate probably has a view of Diana as his mother rather than the dead princess/icon as well.

emason
02-12-2011, 12:49 AM

It's nice to think it's Kate's day, and it might be if she were marrying an ordinary commoner, but it's the Royal Family Firm's day and anyone who thinks otherwise, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

Civic
02-12-2011, 02:57 AM
I picked the Queen Mum's Scroll Tiara...

This is my favorite as well. I love it's simplicity and understatement.

Jenny
02-12-2011, 02:38 PM
But it is also William's day. And when he thinks of Diana, he certainly doesn't think of DIANA, PRINCESS OF WALES (all caps for martyred emphasis). He thinks of his mother. And I think a lot of people are looking at the ring and everything else through their own perceptions and not his view. I also think that after being with him for eight years, Kate probably has a view of Diana as his mother rather than the dead princess/icon as well.

It's nice to think it's Kate's day, and it might be if she were marrying an ordinary commoner, but it's the Royal Family Firm's day and anyone who thinks otherwise, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

Yes yes yes. I think you may have misunderstood me - I am a big Diana fan, and was delighted when William gave Kate her ring. I thought it was a beautiful thing to do, and the right time and place for it.

I also firmly believe that a wedding is about the groom as much as the bride - when I said it's Kate's day, I meant in contrast to Diana. As MILs go, Diana is an enormous presence already, so I think it's really important than on HER wedding day, that Kate is the focus. William will already be the focus - he's the future king with the weight of history and tradition and symbolism and responsibility all over him. No worries that he will be lost in all this.

I think that Diana will be there in so many ways already, and that Kate doesn't need another physical piece of her piled on that will only lead to comparisons/who wore it best/etc.

TygerTyger
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't wear a tiara on her wedding day, but instead have a jeweled hair clip of some sort. (...) it could be something her family could afford to purchase for her.

I was just thinking the same thing. ;)
Cate's parents are wealthy, I'd love for her to have something that works with her delicate features, and complements rather than competes for attention.

Oh, and I agree that it is :rolleyes: to collect money from schoolchildren to purchase jewels for a Royal. Let wealthy patrons give gifts if they so desire :blah:
But, then, I *am* from the US - and while it is interesting to look at the pretty dresses, fab estates, art collections, and hordes of jewelry, I am *very* glad that my own country has no royalty. :yikes:

In fact, viewing the jewels the Romanovs enthusiastically amassed, while the Russian people starved, I can almost understand why things ended so very badly. :(

Also, I find it very odd that the current British Queen is so much admired by her people. She doesn't seem to do very much... :confused:

nerdycool
02-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I find it very odd that the current British Queen is so much admired by her people. She doesn't seem to do very much... :confused:She actually does a lot more than most give her credit for. Their official site (http://www.royal.gov.uk/HMTheQueen/DayInTheLife/Queensworkingday.aspx) gives examples of what her day is like. IMHO, it takes a special person to carry out all those public duties. I for one would not be able to stomach it. Just thinking about talking to groups of strangers once gives me the heaves, let alone doing it my whole life.

cygnus
02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. ;)

Oh, and I agree that it is :rolleyes: to collect money from schoolchildren to purchase jewels for a Royal. Let wealthy patrons give gifts if they so desire :blah:
But, then, I *am* from the US - and while it is interesting to look at the pretty dresses, fab estates, art collections, and hordes of jewelry, I am *very* glad that my own country has no royalty. :yikes:

I doubt that the royals ASKED for a donation of jewelry from the children. I imagine that the educational powers that were wanted to give a gift and the kids went along with it happily and were proud to do so.

In Flora Thompson's "Lark Rise to Candleford" books (not the TV series as far as I know which bears little relation to the books) there is a touching scene where the Vicar's daughter is collecting a sixpence or so from "the women of England" for a gift for Queen Victoria's jubilee. She doesn't go to the home of a woman who has lost her husband or something like that as she knows she couldn't afford to contribute. When the child Laura discovers that said woman has her coin all polished up and ready to give to the Queen she tells the Vicar's daughter who goes back to the home of the woman and takes her contribution. Pride is saved all round. Just a little story from a child's memories, but it does show the attitudes of the time.

One shouldn't judge the attitudes of previous generations by today's standards. No doubt our own attitudes will be strange to the generations yet to come.