PDA

View Full Version : What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Gazpacho
04-20-2011, 07:00 PM
We got a discount, and the guests didn't have to scramble to find a place to stay.That's another good point. The Middletons have many family members and friends attending the wedding. By booking the entire hotel, likely at a discount, they make it easier for their guests, some of whom are probably reimbursing the Middletons for the room.

Jenny
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
That's not how it works. The additional revenue a 71-person hotel can generate isn't that much. So maybe they double their rates, maybe triple them.

Let's say they would have tripled their rates, and they gave the hotel to the Middletons for free, which they may not have done. That's 223 rooms worth of lost revenue. Even if they don't change their regular current rates after the event (unlikely), they only need to fill one more room a night for 223 days anytime in the future to recoup it.

Free-for-publicity doesn't always pay off, but I don't see how this can be bad for the hotel as long as they don't have to pay for security.

I'm not getting your math. Most hotels do not operate at 100% occupancy, especially in recent years and in the currently highly competitive London market. Most have had to drop rates, offer discounts or other incentives to sell rooms. Empty rooms also cost money - they still need to be maintained, and staffing levels, especially in high end hotels, also need to be maintained at a certain level.

Therefore, the opportunity to book out all rooms at full rate plus additional revenues (dining, valet, etc) is rare. In addition, if the whole hotel is booked by one party, that's lost revenues for meetings and private events, and for the restaurants.

Mind you, this is all on the assumption that the Middletons aren't paying for this - something you suggested may be the case. If they are paying something, then maybe the math works out at little better.

The other thing, just reading up on the hotel, is that it's family owned, which helps solve the mystery of why they would do this - and talk about it - in my mind. Without investors to answer too, the hotel has more latitude than a regular business, where owners expect return for their money now, not down the road. Sounds like the current owner (quoted in the article) has money based on the success of the hotel over previous generations, so my guess is that this is a bit of a vanity project. He gets to be in the centre of the action and hang out with the wedding party.

Because publicity-wise, I don't see this having much of an impact. By the sounds of things, royals already frequent the hotel, so saying Kate stayed there just adds to the list. London has plenty of hotel choices, many associated with royalty or other celebrities, so it's likely the only people that might suddenly decide this is where they want to stay because Kate stayed there are those who likely won't pay the price, or will only stay once.

I never said it was bad for the hotel btw - only that I was surprised they would give up the revenue (which now makes sense if it's family owned) and that they would talk about it *before* the event (before I knew the Palace had released it as part of the day's agenda). At this point though, I don't think it will be particularly good for business, but it will be good for the owner who seems to enjoy this sort of thing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hotels/ukhotels/7324280/The-Goring-100th-anniversary-for-the-Queen-Mothers-favourite-hotel.html

skaternum
04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
I think it will be fabulous for their business. Look at all the people who are fascinated by the royal wedding. Heck, we've already got 14 pages here alone! Never underestimate the general public's desire to buy / experience all things royal.

ETA: I don't think for 1 minute that the Middletons are getting the place for free.

Parsley Sage
04-20-2011, 10:22 PM
I read something a while back that said the Goring hotel had been booked for the out of town wedding guests.

Jenny
04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I read something a while back that said the Goring hotel had been booked for the out of town wedding guests.

That makes a lot more sense. Apparently guests of the Palace have stayed there in the past, with at least one royal saying he preferred it because you get a private bathroom. :lol:

allezfred
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Here's another report that makes no sense to me - apparently Kate is staying in a hotel the night before? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/kate-middleton-to-stay-in-luxury-hotel-ahead-of-wedding/article1988344/

This is the hotel - http://www.thegoring.com/home.aspx

With all the palaces and private residences available to them, why would Kate stay in a hotel? Unless the entire hotel (71 rooms, plus a bunch of restaurants) has been booked out, isn't that a massive security nightmare, not to mention the risk of leaks of any number of details about her dress etc? Tell alls by staff members and other guests?

The hotel manager is quoted, but might only be referring to the fact that her family is staying there. Even there, I would think he would not be allowed to confirm that any member of her family is there - security risk, plus it's just a no-no among high end hotels to talk about guests. Maybe this is all a big decoy.

I think I'm going to stop reading media coverage.

That was also in an article I read in Vanity Fair. Maybe you should fire off a letter to your local British Embassy/Consulate seeing as it seems to trouble you so much. ;)

liv
04-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I don't doubt that she is having more than one dress made. Remember, this is a girl who is marryng William and they have been able to keep most of their private details private.

That isn't accomplished by not being smart about the media and even about their friends... it's been said that Wills and Harry used to plant stories to friends and if it was made public, they'd know who not to trust. So, I'm sure Kate has learned from this and from the past.

As for them trying to appear money conscious in this economy: I"m sure they've been trying to be as low key as possible, but when it comes down to it, this is their wedding day. They are not going to compromise on some things, her dress being pretty much the most important thing. Her family is paying for it, so if she needed to have 3 made, then i'm positive her parents would happily do so. They supported her "waity katie" lifestyle for many years, so i"m sure they want her to be able to surprise William,which is what she indicated she really wanted to do.

I"m sure she'll be absolutely lovely.

AragornElessar
04-21-2011, 04:55 AM

Not only that, but I've also read The Middletons have stayed there several times in the past and have very special memories associated w/the Goring. So that's another factor in why that's where they are staying and where Kate will be leaving from a week from Friday.

Not that big a deal really.

Civic
04-21-2011, 05:15 AM
That makes a lot more sense. Apparently guests of the Palace have stayed there in the past, with at least one royal saying he preferred it because you get a private bathroom. :lol:

From a security and logistics standpoint, buying out a centrally located hotel for the required dates is the smartest way to insure the safety of the guests and insure that they all get to Westminster Abbey on time. For this reason, I'm guessing that Buckingham Palace, and not the Middletons, are paying for the hotel.

Fergus
04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
OT but:

:40beers: A very Happy 85th Birthday to Her Majesty The Queen! :cheer2:

Rob
04-21-2011, 04:40 PM
I read an article that the Queen is paying for most of the wedding, with Prince Charles paying for the dinner and dance The Middletons will make a "contribution" The taxpayers will pay for security around town. http://blogs.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2011/01/31/the-royal-wedding-who-pays-the-bill/

This article says the Middletons contribution is estimated at 100,000. They will pay over 20,000 for the hotel. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110418/en_afp/britainroyalsmarriagebill.. If they had stayed at a palace or residence, I suppose they would have reimbursed the Queen for it, and I don't know if they could have so many of their guests in the same place. Sounds pretty convenient right near Buckingham Palace.

ETA- in the US, what channel is everyone watching/taping? I see Piers Morgan and Cat Deeley with Anderson Cooper are the CNN hosts. I love Cat, but I don't know if I can take Piers.

Aceon6
04-21-2011, 06:03 PM
ETA- in the US, what channel is everyone watching/taping? I see Piers Morgan and Cat Deeley with Anderson Cooper are the CNN hosts. I love Cat, but I don't know if I can take Piers.

I'm going with CNN (for Cat), ABC (for Baba Walters), and E! (for the snark).

Garden Kitty
04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Meryl Davis weighs in on twitter:

If only the ppl who are getting offended by all the attn to the 'Royal Wedding' had watched more disney movies as children...(Sigh)..

And if you get BBC America, they're showing the BBC feed.

nerdycool
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I'll probably flip around to find the channel with the least perky commentators, since it'll be on hella early here. I can only handle perk after noon.

Wyliefan
04-22-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm with Meryl! :) Honestly, there's enough grim news in the world. Why shouldn't we enjoy a wedding? I'll grant that some of the hype is over the top, but it's pretty easy to tune out if you really want to.