PDA

View Full Version : What Tiara Will Katherine Middleton Wear For The Royal Wedding?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

skatesindreams
04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Jenny - for all the information.
I'll definitely be downloading the Program(me)!

Sylvia
04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
From today's front page New York Times story: In This Fairy Tale, Not One, but Two Queens in Waiting (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/world/europe/19wedding.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper)

The sense of her having achieved insider status in the family, at least with the younger generation, was enhanced when she [Camilla] was photographed this year emerging from a tête-à-tête lunch with Kate in a London restaurant, where she was overheard amid peals of laughter urging the bride-to-be to follow royal tradition — and Diana’s precedent — by wearing a jeweled tiara at the wedding, something Ms. Middleton apparently thought was too fusty for her taste.
I immediately throught of this thread when I read it. ;)

nerdycool
04-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I tend to think the ladies were having fun making people think this or that was going to happen at the wedding. They've been very tight lipped about the planning, so just having them discuss details over lunch in public just screams "planting false leads" to me.

And even though I think it's not wholly true, the jewelry lover in me is :mitchell: over the idea that Kate might not wear a tiara at her wedding.

AragornElessar
04-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I was wondering when the announcement of when and where the download of the Programme would be. I was able to obtain the Funeral Service Programme of the Queen Mum's Funeral that way and IIRC, that was the first time a Programme for a Major Royal Event in the British Royal Family was made available in such a way online. Thanks for the links Jenny!!

Also saw the Middleton Coat of Arms on the News a little bit ago and I like them. One of the more rare pieces of my Collection is a Cup and Saucer set from Charles and Diana's Wedding that for once doesn't have their faces on it, but their respective Coat of Arms instead. As well as the names, titles and when and where the Wedding took place. I really like it due to the historic symbolism behind the CoAs and it really does look nice too.

I'd love to see something like that made for this Wedding now that Catherine and her Family have their own CoA.

I still to this day kick myself from something I didn't do back in my College Days. I went to College in the Quinte area of Ontario, which is Belleville, Kingston and Peterbrough and is still pretty Royal-ish in feel. There was a Flea Market thing at the Mall one weekend and I went to see what there was. Someone had a bunch of Royal Commemorative China there for sale, and for pretty reasonable prices too, but all I could think of was that if I bought something, how'd I get it home in one piece and where would I put it for safekeeping before I went home for Christmas in the little one room basement apartment I had.

So thanks to that, I missed out on a really pretty piece that I've never seen before or since. It was a gorgeous plate to mark William's birth. It had his name and title and his date of birth in the centre in a scroll type font in gold. Around that in rings going out around from it were in this order...

A ring of English Roses, then a ring of Welsh Daffodils, then Scottish Thistles, then Irish Shamrocks and the final ring was made up of the floral emblems of the Commonwealth Countries.

And all for the grand total of $25.00.

Did I mention I've kicked myself ever since for not snatching that up?

Coco
04-20-2011, 01:46 AM
I feel sorry for them, I mean, what scrutiny and pressure!!!

I'm sure they'd love to elope and get married barefoot in some field somewhere. What a pain.

Oh, I guess all those millions are worth it. :)

skipaway
04-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Also saw the Middleton Coat of Arms on the News a little bit ago and I like them.

CNN's report on the Middleton COAs. Very nice and sophisticated. I do like Oak trees too.

Her new COA (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/04/19/foster.rw.coat.of.arms.cnn?hpt=C2)

paskatefan
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know, which US channel(s) will broadcast the wedding?

Aceon6
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know, which US channel(s) will broadcast the wedding?

Better to ask where its NOT on. Any and all, pick your favorite. FWIW, CNN says it will have Cat Deeley on its broadcast.

Jenny
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Did I mention I've kicked myself ever since for not snatching that up?

When it comes to flea market finds, the 24 hour rule does not apply - you must take action! That's why when I saw the commemorative china pieces in the window of a local shop, I went in immediately and bought the cup and saucer because I didn't want to risk it being gone the next day. Since then, I'm hearing that all the pieces are selling out all over the place.

I was never a tea cup collector in the past - even gave a few away a few years ago - but recently I treated myself to Royal Albert's 100 years collection (a vintage design from each decade!), and now this lovely commemorative set. Last weekend, we were cleaning out the house of one of my husband's relatives who passed away, and his mother insisted I take something as a token of her own mother, who died long before I came into the family - I chose a teacup and saucer, and am very happy to have something that means so much to my husband's family. It's nice to have things you can actually use - and I'm a big tea drinker.

Now I just need a proper china cabinet to display all my new treasures. ;)

As for tv coverage, I'm going with the CBC (starts at 2:00 am in my timezone), and will flip over to BBC Canada here and there. I don't want to try and see it all for fear of actually missing things.

The Royal Wedding website has info about their own plans to live stream it, so those watching on computer (or who plan to have their laptops handy by the tv) might want to check that out as well. Surely they would have the best camera angles :)

allezfred
04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Better to ask where its NOT on. Any and all, pick your favorite. FWIW, CNN says it will have Cat Deeley on its broadcast.

:scream:

Gazpacho
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
And even though I think it's not wholly true, the jewelry lover in me is :mitchell: over the idea that Kate might not wear a tiara at her wedding.I doubt she won't wear a tiara at all, but she could do a Sarah Ferguson (I don't like calling her Fergie). Sarah's act symbolized the fact that she was a commoner before the ceremony and then a royal after the ceremony, which would be the same for Kate. Although the marriage didn't work out, Sarah did the wedding right. Her dress had the 80's sleeves, but it was beautiful for an 80's style dress, unlike Diana's fugly monstrosity.

I agree, Kate's dress could be strapless but she will have some sort of shrug, bolero or jacket or overbodice for the ceremony. And likely her dress will be so well made that we might not even know it's really strapless.

Autumn Kelly had a strapless dress with a lace shrug for her wedding to Peter Philips. Her bridesmaids wore strapless dresses though.

My guess though is that Kate's dress for the ceremony will have sleeves and then she will wear something different for the evening reception and that dress could very well be strapless.I don't think a strapless gown would even hold a train that long. Her train won't be nearly as long as Diana's, but it will still be longer than a strapless can hold. Plus, the Church wouldn't allow it. I think every royal around the world has worn something modest.

I doubt the evening reception would be strapless either, as Kate has never worn a strapless gown.

I'm going with a V-neck, as she seems to favor those.

By the way, in recent pictures, Kate seems to have gotten some more work done on her. She now bears little resemblance to her pictures five years ago. If I were under the same scrutiny, I sure would do the same.

I totally agree. The strapless ball gown trend is getting really old. I found a sleeveless dress that was not a ball gown when I got married (nearly 2 years ago) but it was hard. The bridal salons kept putting me in strapless dresses and showing me the little lace or sheer things they can sew on to make it have a strap or whatever. The fact that there was anything to try on at all was probably thanks to Jenna Bush wearing a sleeveless more fitted dress instead of a strapless ball gown. Her wedding was a few months before I started shopping and all the stores had replicas of hers on display. Strapless gowns, on the right women, are absolutely stunning because it shows off their shoulders and neckline without making their shoulders look broad as an off-the-shoulders dress can do. But on the wrong women, they go really wrong.

A big problem is that, as you mention, the bridal salons given women few other choices. If you look at the David's Bridal website, they're almost all strapless, and most brides can't afford more than David's Bridal.

PDilemma
04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Strapless gowns, on the right women, are absolutely stunning because it shows off their shoulders and neckline without making their shoulders look broad as an off-the-shoulders dress can do. But on the wrong women, they go really wrong.

A big problem is that, as you mention, the bridal salons given women few other choices. If you look at the David's Bridal website, they're almost all strapless, and most brides can't afford more than David's Bridal.

Oh, I could have rocked the strapless look. But I didn't want to look exactly the same as every single woman who has had a wedding in the last ten years. And while some women look good in a strapless gown, everyone does not. Yet, nearly everyone is wearing them. It isn't just David's. Watch a show like "Say Yes to the Dress" and that's all they have, as well. They panic if a bride asks for sleeves. They nearly panic if someone simply asks for a sleeveless look with something covering the shoulders at all. But very few women come in there wanting that. The trend has become so enmeshed that that's how most younger women envision a wedding gown.

And I don't think a strapless gown with a shrug is a very royal/Westminster Abbey sort of look and I really hope she isn't doing that. I also agree that it could not hold the long train we will probably see. I think we're going to see sleeves of some sort.

Hopefully, it starts a new trend in bridal. Because everyone has worn the same wedding dress for ten years and enough is enough.

Gazpacho
04-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Hopefully, it starts a new trend in bridal. Because everyone has worn the same wedding dress for ten years and enough is enough.Oh, I definitely think it'll start a new trend, but that new trend will become the old tired trend that lasts 10 years and won't look good on many women. Look at what Diana did.

By the way, my seamstress said that the strapless trend started because it was really pushed, especially by places with in-house seamstresses, because they're easiest to alter. Altering the shoulder and sleeve area tends to be very difficult, and it's much easier to take in or let out a dress that doesn't have shoulders or sleeves.

Strapless gowns are also easier to sell because if it's the wrong size in the fitting room, they can pin it easily to make it fit. Most of the time, bridal salons only carry a few sizes. If the dress has sleeves, if it's the wrong size, it'll clearly look wrong in the fitting room. I think that might be why your bridal salon kept pushing them on you.

I know plenty of women who didn't want a strapless dress but found the non-strapless options lacking and ended up settling for a strapless. And other women saw that everyone else is wearing strapless, so they did the same.

The most stunning gown I can think of is Ivanka Trump's.

PDilemma
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
The reasons make sense. But I still think it is sad that women have fallen for it. So many do not look good at all.

I actually fit the sample sizes when I got married. They were bringing in strapless dresses because that was their stock--at not one but three salons. We actually purchased a sample dress because the bodice and shoulders didn't need altered and if we had ordered one, it may have needed altered. I only had to pay to have the hemming done and got a discount for taking the dress off the rack. They cleaned it for us as well--still less than ordering. (Of course, this resulted in enormous pressure to not gain or lose a pound before the wedding!)

I remember the 80s and early 90s. I recall seeing a variety of wedding dress styles in terms of sleeve lengths--short, long, three-quarter, and even a few sleeveless, and some variety in necklines. Not like the parade of strapless ball gowns we have today. And all the weddings I have attended in the last five years have not only been the strapless but also the ball gown cut. And every bride thinks that hers is original because it has the beading in a slightly different pattern or something. It's not. It looks like all the rest. It's time for something new and the bridal salons can deal with it. And I think there is the possibility that if Kate brings back sleeves, we'll see some variety. It might occur to a December bride that she is not obligated to freeze and hers could be long. And sleeves make for more variety in necklines as well.

I agree that Ivanka's gown was elegant. But still maintained the strapless style just did the sheer lace around it.

Gazpacho
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I remember the 80s and early 90s. I recall seeing a variety of wedding dress styles in terms of sleeve lengths--short, long, three-quarter, and even a few sleeveless, and some variety in necklines. But the sleeves were all massive :)

My seamstress also said that in the fitting room, they pin a strapless dress a bit loose at the top so you don't see the underarm fat. It also doesn't stay on long enough to start to fall down, so brides didn't realize the downsides. That made them easier to sell, and once the trend took hold, brides started wearing them for that reason, and it limited the selection for brides who didn't want it.

Are strapless gowns that common in the UK too with the cooler gloomier weather?

I predict Kate will have lace sleeves.