PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness Relief?

Pages : 1 [2]

cynthiabc
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I use Bonine regularly when I travel. I am susceptible to motion sickness and I have not been able to read in a car. Bonine has never made me feel drowsy, and it makes a difference. For me there seems to be a visual component to my motion sickness. In a car I always look out a window, I prefer to drive than be a passenger.

Auntie
02-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I have friends that can't/won't sit in third row seats of vans and SUVs because of motion sickness. If the are in the front seat, they are fine. Or so they say. They might just be messing with me so they can sit in front. :)

Lanie
02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
I want to try that Bonine and see if it works. I get a headache, I feel warm, just ugh, if I'm not driving. Having cold air in my face helps, but I can't stand sitting in the backseat any time at all or else I get so sick. I've never been able to read in the car, at all; just looking at words makes my head hurt and then the nausea and yuck! Man, I hate it so much. I'm so jealous of my mom who can read in the car.

redonthehead
02-06-2011, 03:52 PM
As long as I can see straight ahead then my motion sickness stays at bay. But I love to read so this is what helps me.

I either sit in the front seat or smack in the middle of the back seat. To be able to read, I put a pillow in my lap which brings my book up to dash level and I don't have to look down. Also, the car can not be hot for long trips. It can be warm if it's in the winter but not hot.

Rukia
02-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I get bad motion sickness. Dramamine is too weak for me. Meclizine (which is the ingredient in Bonine) works very well, but it does make me very sleepy. While I've been breastfeeding, I started using the sea bands. I was extremely surprised to find out that they work. I am able to ride in the back seat of a car! I do notice that if my blood sugar is getting low I'll still get nausea (but that's probably a personal issue), and I still can't really read or concentrate on things too much (which I can do on meclizine). But they are definitely worth the $10 I paid for them.

Grannyfan
02-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Reading in the car makes me sick, so I just don't do it. Otherwise, I'm not prone to motion sickness. I did get sick once recently, but I was in the very back of a big van, and I was extremely hungry. After we stopped to eat, I was fine. I can read on a plane with no problem.

Aussie Willy
02-07-2011, 01:59 AM
I can't read in a car either or else I get sick. Used to disappoint me when I was a kid because I loved reading. However I can read on trains and planes.

JumpinBug
02-07-2011, 03:08 AM
I get motion sickness, but not from reading.

And Gravol doesn't make me the slightest bit sleepy or drowsy.

zaphyre14
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I've found the wrist bands more helpful than I expected them to be.

Patsy
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
As someone who has gotten motion sickness since childhood (my mother used to describe traveling with the 3 of us as "stopping after 20 minutes to let Patsy throw up"), I've discovered the wrist bands work nicely. Also great is "less drousy formula Dramamine" I use both on our Maui trips (think whale watching boats, curvy roads up mountain tops) and as long as the day isn't grey and drizzly, I get by just fine.

And I totally agree about "squishy suspensions" on cars . . . . a recipe for disaster.

Wiery
02-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm extremely suseptible to motion sickness, and take Zofran whenever I travel long distances via automobile. Zofran is expensive, you need a prescription for it, but doesn't make you sleepy.

Prancer
02-08-2011, 02:23 AM
I've found the wrist bands more helpful than I expected them to be.

I think that's interesting. I wonder if that is somehow related to the "joints" being part of your sense of balance as was discussed in the second link I posted.

I've had several people tell me the wrist bands help. I tried them once and they didn't do a thing for me, but I figure there must be a good, physiological reason they work for most people.

And I totally agree about "squishy suspensions" on cars . . . . a recipe for disaster.

My aunt has driven Mercedes as long as I can remember. My mom would never ride anywhere with her because the ride was too soft. She did a lot better in rattletrap deathmobiles.

4rkidz
02-10-2011, 02:47 AM
I can't read in a car either or else I get sick. Used to disappoint me when I was a kid because I loved reading. However I can read on trains and planes.

my daughter is the same.. in addition she can read on the bus as well but not in a car - she also takes gravol :( Never quite figured out how she can read on the bus.. and also when she is in the car she has to sit in the front - being in the back makes it worse :confused:

NancyNC
02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I have had success with Sea Bands when I'm out on the ocean in rougher waters. You have to be careful to place the correctly for them to work. The first time I tried them they weren't effective, but someone pointed out that I didn't have them placed properly. I certainly didn't buy the $114 version as shown in the original post either! I bought these (http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult-Wristband-2-Count/dp/B001F731N0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1297361054&sr=8-6) . They have sizes for smaller wrists/children as well.

genegri
02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Bonine works very well for me when I go on a cruise or fly.

Everytime we travel to Hawaii, I would always do the driving because otherwise I get sick within 10 minutes.

Good to see I am not the only who can't stand those "luxury" suspesions.