PDA

View Full Version : ask tara lipinski your questions

figsrus
01-26-2011, 01:39 AM
tara lipinski will be at U.S. Nationals and answering your questions through videos, blogs, and Tweets. Submit your questions here! (http://www.universalsports.com/figure-skating/ask-an-expert.html?)

BaileyCatts
01-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Somebody link that thread where everyone wanted to know what she's been doin' with her time the last 5 or 6 years. :rofl:

Bostonfan
01-26-2011, 12:06 PM
It doesn't have the same ring as "Push Dick's Button" :)

IceJunkie
01-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Somebody link that thread where everyone wanted to know what she's been doin' with her time the last 5 or 6 years. :rofl:

When I saw this thread title, I knew there would be snarkiness. :lol:

orbitz
01-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I have to say that I was impressed with the little bit of skating that Tara did at the Kerrigan's skating legend tribute show. Her skating looked fast and secured; It was as if she had never left, and it was quite a contrast to a *ahem* certain younger OGM that also skated on the same show. I'm sure Tara could easily add back double jumps and spins if she wants to full exhibitions in the future.

Dilng
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM

:rolleyes:

Dufusyte
01-28-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm sure Tara could easily add back double jumps and spins if she wants to full exhibitions in the future.
I believe Tara had some very serious hip injuries which she probably will not want to aggravate with much skating.

I really liked her commentating though, and hope she gets a permanent spot in the broadcast booth. She brings a fresh, youthful, and exciting perspective to the commentary. I much prefer her to Sandra Bezic, who is rather lethargic.

In fact, the sad state of the current set of commentators is dragging down the sport. Ten years ago we had the feisty Button tearing up the performers, saying out loud what everyone was thinking at home. Not only was it highly entertaining commentary, but it was like coaching for the skaters, and they actually took Dick's criticisms to heart and improved accordingly. In a sense, Button was the coach of several decades worth of US skaters, and they really benefited from it.

Now however, the commentary is cautious and boring, uninsightful and unhelpful to the skaters. This is why the viewer ratings for figure skating are plummeting. It may also in part account for the sad state of US skaters, since they have lost a very useful coach in Button.

Tara provides an enthusiastic commentary that is at least fun to hear. I would say she also provides something akin to "broadcast coaching" that is beneficial to the skaters.

taf2002
01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Well, Tonia K certainly provides some broadcast coaching. Of course, what she has to say is incredibly obvious; however the skaters and/or their coaches may have never thought of it. IOW, if the skater lives under a rock, Tonia's advice may be helpful.

Carolla5501
01-29-2011, 02:27 PM
IMHO Tara is not going to increase viewers. Some of us find her so bad it may drive viewer off but either way the announcers are not going to draw large volumes of viewers.

rudi
01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
When I saw this thread title, I knew there would be snarkiness. :lol:
LOL

If I thought that she might answer this one, I might have asked, "What does a typical day look like for you?"
(I admit that I was one of those posters that wondered. :lol: )

BmcC102
01-30-2011, 05:52 AM
IMHO Tara is not going to increase viewers. Some of us ?find her so bad it may drive viewer off...

While I know there are those who'd agree with you, I've noticed that in every thread about Tara's commentating, you insist on driving your point about her being "so bad" into the ground. As much as you are obviously entitled to your opinion, we get it already :shuffle: Gee whiz! ;)

I think Tara's already done a very good job with her intial commentating, but with more experience, I'm sure she'll improve.

Carolla5501
01-30-2011, 06:05 AM
While I know there are those who'd agree with you, I've noticed that in every thread about Tara's commentating, you insist on driving your point about her being "so bad" into the ground. As much as you are obviously entitled to your opinion, we get it already :shuffle: Gee whiz! ;)

I think Tara's already done a very good job with her intial commentating, but with more experience, I'm sure she'll improve.

I am entitled to disagree. I did not realize this was the Tara
Cheer thread :lol:

bek
01-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I am entitled to disagree. I did not realize this was the Tara
Cheer thread :lol:

Your totally entitled to dislike Tara's commentary. But to be quite frank, I suspect that there is a section of people who would hate Tara's commentary, even if Tara was the greatest figure skating commentator there ever was....Not saying your one of them but I'm just saying...

I think though that for the general public Tara's actually quite good because she actually knows the system and explains things.