PDA

View Full Version : DiManno: Beyond Chan, Canada's Skating Ranks Worryingly Thin

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Iceman
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/927444--dimanno-beyond-chan-canada-s-skating-ranks-worryingly-thin

Cyn
01-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Wow. That bitch makes Phil Hersh seem likable :shuffle: .

His immediate future is assignment to Four Continents next month, the international stop extended to skaters of lesser acclaim.

Way to diss a major ISU International Competition that your country hosts as well as the skaters that compete in it. I'm sure V/M and D/W would appreciate being called skaters of "lesser acclaim." :blah: :rolleyes:

...the highly respected Joanne McLeod.

:rofl: She can't be serious with that comment.

Reynolds’ presumed worlds slot was grabbed instead by Shawn Sawyer, a long-in-the-tooth-ish 25-year-old….. His Alice in Wonderland routine went over huge with the Memorial Centre audience. That’s because it is loud, even crude — and donning a giant Mad Hatter lid afterwards didn’t help — a show number rather than the stuff of serious competition.

:rolleyes:

“I think I have to thank Kurt Browning, Jeffrey Buttle, Brian Orser, because I do a lot of shows with them,” said Sawyer. “They really brought out that inner performer in me and I was able to put that on the competitive ice. I think this program is perfect to showcase that.”

Bully for Sawyer.

Wow. Just wow. She may have surpassed "bitch" and taken it to the next level.

Exactly when did performance quality become a detriment?

……After re-reading this pathetic excuse for a column, I have to wonder just how deep Rosie DiManno is in Joanne McLeod's pocket.

DickButtonFan
01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
"Shawn Sawyer, a long-in-the-tooth-ish 25-year-old"

????????????

Wow, that's cruel.:(

modern_muslimah
01-25-2011, 12:20 PM
DiManno seems like one negative person. She managed to make Shawn's wonderful performance (which if performed cleanly could land in the top 10 at Worlds) seem like it belonged in Juniors. Good grief! She's a hater.

KatieC
01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
That article is just nasty. What about Andrei Rogozine, and Patrick Myzyk? Not too sure of their ages but I thought Rogozine just won Cdn juniors a year or so ago. I thought they both had quite interesting short programs, even if their free programs didn't go the way they planned. I don't think Orser and Browning were up at the top their first years at seniors.

oakl0008
01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks for making a thread for this Iceman. I posted this in the Sawyer thread but I really think this needs a thread of it`s own.

What is with Dimanno`s virtol against Sawyer in this article? Of course at age 26 he isn`t a part of the Sochi 2014 movement but what made her think it was necessary to take shots at his program, calling it ``loud`` and ``crude``, as well as criticizing him wearing the mad hatter`s hat after his program? What was she watching? That was pure magic and she just had to ruin it by saying he`s a waste in a year. What does she have against this guy to be the vicious? Did Sawyer mentioning publicly that SC didn`t support his comeback have anything to do with it?

I hope Sawyer doesn`t read this and let it get to him.

And way to wast an opportunity to congradulate the first Newfoundlander to win a senior medal in figure skating (Russel) by ripping apart the senior mens bronze medallist, Rosie.

Why does this woman work in media?

clarie
01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't take anything "DiManic" takes to heart. She's as nasty as they come and always very negative. I sometimes read her articles if they're posted just for the entertainment value, never for face value. Patrick is outstanding but there are others, including Kevin who could possibly rise to the occasion of medaling at future competitions. Kevin had a bad day at the office, and yes, he has some work to do on presentation, but he's very young yet too, so I hope he stays and continues to improve. The public comments about his hair and his appearance are cruel and unnecessary. What is she trying to do?..........kick the kid when he's down? I like Kevin, he's a classy kid so I hope he takes no notice of Miss Di's comments and realizes that he has fans who support him. This article certainly wins the prize for negativity. Perhaps someone should write an article dissing Miss Di.

Cyn
01-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Note that there's no option to be able to comment (or is that typical of a column?).

I'd email her but I have a feeling the witch relishes stirring the shit - the more pissed off people are, the happier she is.

pani
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Kevin had a bad day at the office, and yes, he has some work to do on presentation, but he's very young yet too, so I hope he stays and continues to improve. The public comments about his hair and his appearance are cruel and unnecessary. What is she trying to do?..........kick the kid when he's down? I like Kevin, he's a classy kid so I hope he takes no notice of Miss Di's comments and realizes that he has fans who support him. This article certainly wins the prize for negativity. Perhaps someone should write an article dissing Miss Di.

Canada have uniuqe skaters - Patrick and World record holder - Reynolds (i mean he was first skate, who made two quads at SP). And i cant understand, why so many people try to kick him? He is uniuqe jumper. And i think that he deserve to be an team, when Russels without consistent 3 ax are good skater, but maybe couldnt help Canada save 3 sports for next season.
Hope Kevin show greate skating at 4CC!

Jenny
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
What is with Dimanno`s virtol against Sawyer in this article?

It's not Sawyer, it's skating. For some reason, they keep assigning her to a sport she doesn't like and doesn't understand, which is a complete mystery to me. I know that controversy sells, but a real journalist knows how to do that properly - Rosie DiManno is not a journalist, and the fact that she even has a job is another reason why I don't read the Star. It's annoying that media gives people with zero qualification a platform to spew their nonsense and meanness. Shame on the Star.

Parsley Sage
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
It's not Sawyer, it's skating. For some reason, they keep assigning her to a sport she doesn't like and doesn't understand, which is a complete mystery to me. I know that controversy sells, but a real journalist knows how to do that properly - Rosie DiManno is not a journalist, and the fact that she even has a job is another reason why I don't read the Star. It's annoying that media gives people with zero qualification a platform to spew their nonsense and meanness. Shame on the Star.

Very sad as the the Star owns the Hamilton Spectator and Steve Milton writes for the Hamilton Spectator. They could just send him instead.

Scrufflet
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Jenny is right on! In all the years I've read the Star, she's only given out one or two positive reviews, one for V/M and one for Jeff Buttle, all of whom are poised and unflappable; she was unable to provoke them, I think. Her articles on Sandhu were excrutiatingly painful (no matter how you view him). I wish she'd stick to her crime beat and let someone else report. P. J. Kwong? The Star has never taken skating seriously yet they will give pages to other minor sports events. And don't get me started on how many "Wheels" sections the paper feels the need to print! Aaaaggghhhh!

sk8er1964
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
The Coquitlam native stumbled right off the world team, even falling on relatively simple footwork leading into a camel jump. That’s just not acceptable at this atmosphere and he knew it.

What's a camel jump? :rolleyes:

DickButtonFan
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
What's a camel jump? :rolleyes:

Just shows how mean she is. A skater that can jump over camels can't even get any respect from her. :lol:

sk8er1964
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
:lol: