PDA

View Full Version : DiManno: Beyond Chan, Canada's Skating Ranks Worryingly Thin

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

4rkidz
01-31-2011, 02:56 AM
Note that there's no option to be able to comment (or is that typical of a column?).

I'd email her but I have a feeling the witch relishes stirring the shit - the more pissed off people are, the happier she is.

I have met her and your perception is correct, not even other journalists like her ...

algonquin
01-31-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm from the US so I don't know this writer very well but it is a bit of a relief to know that there is a Canadian equivalent to Phil Hersh and Christine Brennan.

That is, bitter, angry sports writers who spew poorly researched crap to raise the ire of skating fans and increase the hit counts on their web sites. Actually, DiManno isn't a sports writer, but for some reason covers figure skating. I think that she is "human interest" writer or something like that. She covers murder trails, etc from that angle.

minx
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Bleah, hate being stuck in the boonies reading the Internet via cellphone. I had meant that Rosie should poke her nose into the lack of depth of the ladies *especially* outside of quebec.

Skittl1321
01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm late to the thread but when I saw this

His immediate future is assignment to Four Continents next month, the international stop extended to skaters of lesser acclaim.
I had to wonder if people think this because there are none of the top ranked European skaters there, and because they know so little about the sport they don't understand that those skaters aren't there because "only lesser skaters attend" but because Four Continents is (supposedly) the equivalent of Euros. It's not that they don't want to attend- it's that they can't attend.

Non-figure skating fans just don't understand how it is structured at all. I had a casual figure skating fan ask me this weekend if Plushenko was going to be in the telecast. I told them no, 1)because he has been banned by the ISU, though he is trying to have it lifted, and 2) we were watching the US nationals- so even if he becomes eligible again, it's highly unlikely he'd ever compete in this event. Explaining what 4CCs is to them would be impossible.

Learning that she isn't a sports writer makes me think even more that she just has no idea what Four Continents is.

algonquin
02-01-2011, 03:38 AM
I found this blog about DiManno, Why Your Hometown Columnist Sucks: Rosie DiManno (http://deadspin.com/158773/why-your-hometown-columnist-sucks-rosie-dimanno)

A couple of good quotes:

DiManno is a "general assignment" columnist for the Star, which means she's often turned loose on sports — in fact, she has authored a pair of books on the Blue Jays and the Maple Leafs and was dispatched to the 2006 Winter Olympics... DiMatteo has managed to burrow under the skin of beach volleyball enthusiasts, runners, cyclists ... you name a recreational sport, she has probably mocked it. She is combative and writes with a chip on her shoulder. If DiManno makes readers mad, well, at least they're reading. Right? Who cares if she rarely deals in fact, nuance or common decency? Those writing qualities are so passe, anyway.

When it comes DiManno and sports, there's no there there. Take her report on ice dancing from Turin on the night that Italians Barbara Fusar Poli and Maurizio Margaglio suffered their fall that resulted in a notorious stare-off. DiManno justifies the money that the Star spent to send her to Italy by telling us that the Italian couple fell, and so did the French couple, and hey, it turns out a lot of skaters fell that night! Oops! You sure couldn't have figured that out by watching NBC!

dramagrrl
02-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I found this blog about DiManno, Why Your Hometown Columnist Sucks: Rosie DiManno (http://deadspin.com/158773/why-your-hometown-columnist-sucks-rosie-dimanno)

A couple of good quotes:
That blogger needs to re-read his work. In the part quoted above, he confuses DiManno with Enzo DiMatteo (http://www.nowtoronto.com/about/bios/edimatteo.cfm), news editor for Toronto's alternative weekly Now magazine. I'm pretty certain that Mr. DiMatteo would not be at all amused being compared to/confused with Rosie.

Daddyd
02-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I, too, was there to see it all live and I've seen many of these young skaters develop over the past few years. I totally agree that the following skaters show definite promise:

Eladj Balde; Liam Firus; Ian Martinez; Andrei Rogozine; Samual Morais; as well as the Jr's Garret Gosselin and Nam (12 year old phenom who won Jr Men!)

Also, while I haven't been a fan of Shawn's in the past, he absolutely laid down 2 flawless programs: he totally deserves that world team spot and if he does skate at Worlds like he did in Victoria, he could very well end up in the top 10 (although it is a crowded field with the very strong Japanese contingent).

Chan's program was unbelievable: halfway through I just had that feeling that he would not go down. It was a memorable skate for many reasons and I hope he can duplicate it at Worlds. Hard to believe that he was suffering from a head cold.

Go Chan Go!!
Chan was amazing!!
I thought this skater showed promise had never seen him was impressed
8:07
Liam Firus 2011 Canadian Nationals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVEEBedJOA

sailornyanko
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Someone should tell Dimanno that her writing style is loud and crude. :rolleyes: She seems to be forgetting that Canada is relatively small population-wise, so we're not going to have 3 male skaters at one time who could potentially medal at Worlds.

I thought the skating pool is relative to the # of people IN the sport and not the complete country's population. I've heard Canada has over 100,000 people as members of a skating club, the US has about 10,000 and Mexico about 1,000. If this is true, then Canada should be producing more senior skaters and for some reason this isn't happening.

Be it not enough qualified coaches, too many skaters are too tall for the sport, skaters are too pressured to ditch skating to play hockey instead, I don't know because I don't live in Canada.

According to your calculations, half of all skating medals should be for China because China is the most populated country in the world.

sailornyanko
02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
The article seems kind of mean in some ways, however since I can't even watch skating events I don't really care who won or not because ESPN doesn't show skating anymore, mexican tv doesn't show skating and I don't know any decent online skating sites.

Apart from providing an intriguing glimpse into the machinations of the Skate Canada politburo — an organization with a long history of big-footing athletes and promoting favourites over those who’ve earned their ranking on the ice —

I will however give her credit for that, Jennifer Robinson was granted the gold too many times when she didn't live up to expectations at all. However almost all federations do their little games letting skaters with bigger names but don't live up to the hype to be sent to major events. Fumie Suguri was given special treatment far too long.

wingnut
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
So cynical. "Beyond Chan" is a dumb thing to say in and of itself. "Other than the elite 20-year-old gold medal favourite who has the footwork, spins, and artistry of a COP skater and the jump content of a prime 6.0 Yagudin and potentially won't even hit his peak until AFTER the 2014 Olympics..."

Some people are just able to see the negatives. I feel sorry for her. Life is her punishment.

overedge
02-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Just as an example of Rosie's fine writings on other topics :rolleyes: here is her most recent commentary, about how the Toronto transit drivers are so meeeaaannnn to her.

http://counter.thestar.topscms.com/news/article/934245--dimanno-ttc-drivers-kick-courtesy-to-the-curb

Rock2
02-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Chan was amazing!!
I thought this skater showed promise had never seen him was impressed
8:07
Liam Firus 2011 Canadian Nationals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVEEBedJOA

Firus is like the love child of Chan and Stojko.
Has a Stojko style build (a little slimmer) and face, and a masculine energy, mixed with Chan's comfort on the blade, straight back and weak axel(!!). Power and dynamism of both. He's one to watch!

TAHbKA
02-08-2011, 05:56 PM
There I was, thinking the Russian journalists were mean. Ha!