PDA

View Full Version : DiManno: Beyond Chan, Canada's Skating Ranks Worryingly Thin

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

stjeaskategym
01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm more disturbed that Skate Canada "discouraged" Shawn Sawyer from coming back. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm pretty sure every skater, regardless of ability, should be allowed to skate if they would like without any negative backlash coming from SC. Even if SC would like to focus on the younger generation, if Sawyer can beat them all, maybe that younger generation isn't quite ready.

judgejudy27
01-25-2011, 08:18 PM
It seems Skate Canda is also wanting their male skaters to be butch and very masculine. That is probably another reason they dont like Shawn so much.

Jenny
01-25-2011, 09:37 PM
It seems Skate Canda is also wanting their male skaters to be butch and very masculine. That is probably another reason they dont like Shawn so much.

What's your basis for this comment? Very few Canadian champions and team members over the years have been what one might call "butch and very masculine."

Dave of the North
01-25-2011, 09:43 PM
She has a point, somewhat. Except the article should have been about the Ladies.

:huh: You are saying Dimanno should have written about washed-up Sansom taking away Najarro's spot????

ks777
01-25-2011, 10:10 PM
I agree with the writer. Besides Chan, there isn't anyone that impressed me in Canada right now. Kevin's jumps aren't impressive even when he lands quads. Joey's jumps are small.. almost smaller than ladies. The only thing I like about Joey is that he is from Labrador, newfoundland.. I have a yellow labrador.. so I like that.

Rock2
01-25-2011, 10:18 PM
yeah I don't get too in a knot about articles like this. Sometimes they provide good insight into what skating looks like to those unfamiliar with the sport...which is actually most of the world and a good chunk of the audience at big comps.

The two interesting nuggets were Sawyer revealing the reception he got to a comeback attempt and Reynolds saying "I don't know what my future is in skating"

But we have to realize that DiManno is assessing the 'talent' based on this one competition. So from a scoring perspective that's what it looks like, especially when you look at Chan's score as some freakish standard.

She doesn't know Russell's axel is much improved and he's landing quads in practice. Rogozine is a rapidly improving talent who hasn't bombed a competition in a couple of years. Martinez and Balde are ripe to break out if they can contain injuries and get on the national team to gain some more needed funding. Ten is out this year and will be a force next year.

So much she doesn't know...or comment on...because it wasn't right in front of her face in Victoria, and she didn't take the time to research.

Let her go work on her camel jumps. I'll invest more energy analyzing articles from sources that are actually credible.

Iceman
01-25-2011, 10:39 PM
y
She doesn't know Russell's axel is much improved and he's landing quads in practice. Rogozine is a rapidly improving talent who hasn't bombed a competition in a couple of years. Martinez and Balde are ripe to break out if they can contain injuries and get on the national team to gain some more needed funding. Ten is out this year and will be a force next year.

So much she doesn't know...or comment on...because it wasn't right in front of her face in Victoria, and she didn't take the time to research.

Let her go work on her camel jumps. I'll invest more energy analyzing articles from sources that are actually credible.

What is your source for knowing that she doesn't know the things you mention?
She could know them and still come to the same conclusions she has.

marbri
01-25-2011, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=marbri;3037018]
I also think she is way off regarding Kevin Reynolds. When all his jumps escaped him I actually watched thinking "damn that's a well choreographed program".

But Reynolds himself laid some blame on his choreography:

“ The nerves showed at the beginning. It would have been an okay performance, I think, if it wasn’t for that last choreographed sequence. It took the energy out of the program and I lost points as well.”

I read that the same way Ioana did.

Japanfan
01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
It seems obvious to me she didn't watch anything but the last group and most likely only watched the programs (or highlights) of the podium finishers plus Reynolds. I don't know how anyone watched that event and failed to take notice of some very interesting skaters and future potentials.

Heck, I wonder if she even watched the last group. Shawn's program "loud and crude, and the hat didn't help? :confused:

She failed to notice that it was a competitive program, not a performance piece, and a masterpiece at that. And both Shawn and Kevin are capable of messing up or doing well at Worlds.

She also failed to notice that Ellajd Balde made the national team. He's a dynamic and very promising skater, junior champ in 2008, out to injury last season. As a team member he's only going to get better.

Plus, she also didn't pay attention to the juniors aside from Nam. I just watched Garrett Gosselin's SP on skatebuzz and he is truly a sublime skater.

dramagrrl
01-26-2011, 01:33 AM
It's not Sawyer, it's skating. For some reason, they keep assigning her to a sport she doesn't like and doesn't understand, which is a complete mystery to me. I know that controversy sells, but a real journalist knows how to do that properly - Rosie DiManno is not a journalist, and the fact that she even has a job is another reason why I don't read the Star. It's annoying that media gives people with zero qualification a platform to spew their nonsense and meanness. Shame on the Star.
I know people at the Star who have known (and disliked) Rosie for years, and apparently she continuously gets assigned to skating events because she secretly likes skating and asks to be sent. (And it is well-known in Star circles that Rosie is basically given free reign to cover whatever the hell she feels like covering, in any area of the paper, so if she asks to cover skating, she'll get the assignment over someone like Randy Starkman, who actually knows quite a bit about the sport and writes about it objectively.) The thing is, in her (much) younger days, Rosie was solid writer and had a knack for investigative journalism, and those glory days have given her a cushion at the paper that she's basically been taking advantage of ever since.

pinky166
01-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Reynolds and Sawyer can be pretty darn good - ie top 10 in the World, when they are "on". Even Russell is pretty impressive when he skates well.

Seerek
01-26-2011, 04:04 AM
:huh: You are saying Dimanno should have written about washed-up Sansom taking away Najarro's spot????

Maybe minx meant that the ladies would have been a more appropriate discipline to discuss instead of the men if Rosie wanted to talk about "Worryingly Thin fields" in terms of depth and quality.

Japanfan
01-26-2011, 05:02 AM

Two points here:

First of all, Sansom is not washed-up. She may not be the second coming of Joannie Rochette - perhaps not even the second coming of Annie Bellemare - but she certainly isn't washed up. Her FS was well-done, albeit uninspiring, but it isn't her fault that the rest of the field made so many mistakes. She could be on the Canadian ladies podium for a number of years to come. Also, she had a delightful exhibition skate which showed a lot of personality and indicated that she has room to grow as a performer.

Second, Sansom did not take away Najarro's spot. Najarro simply did not have the technical content to beat her. She needs a year or two to contend for the senior ladies podium.

Squibble
01-26-2011, 05:41 AM
Reynolds and Sawyer can be pretty darn good - ie top 10 in the World, when they are "on". Even Russell is pretty impressive when he skates well.

Indeed. There are a lot of federations who would gladly trade their Top Three (if they have that many) for Sawyer, Reynolds, and Russell, never mind Chan or the up-and-comers like Baldé and Rogozine. Great Britain, Poland, Ukraine, and even Germany come to mind, for starters.

AragornElessar
01-26-2011, 07:29 AM
I suspected that might be the reason why Rosie's still around, but sad to hear it's the truth.

One of these days, one of her targets is going to be rightfully ticked off and will decide to go after the twisted witch for libel or something close to it. When that day comes, I'll be cheering as it will be exactly what she has coming to her.