PDA

View Full Version : DiManno: Beyond Chan, Canada's Skating Ranks Worryingly Thin

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Wyliefan
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Whoa, nasty! :eek:

marbri
01-25-2011, 03:17 PM
It seems obvious to me she didn't watch anything but the last group and most likely only watched the programs (or highlights) of the podium finishers plus Reynolds. I don't know how anyone watched that event and failed to take notice of some very interesting skaters and future potentials.

I also think she is way off regarding Kevin Reynolds. When all his jumps escaped him I actually watched thinking "damn that's a well choreographed program". Just as Chan started working on quads, Kevin has clearly been working on all the things he was lacking and I think ShaeLynn is perfect for him. Now is the time for Reynolds to see what he is made of and what he does with this disappointment. Whether it lights his fire or puts it out, I think he needs this moment to see what it is he wants and whether he has the desire to continue.

siberia82
01-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Someone should tell Dimanno that her writing style is loud and crude. :rolleyes: She seems to be forgetting that Canada is relatively small population-wise, so we're not going to have 3 male skaters at one time who could potentially medal at Worlds.

lovelikelatte
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
That article is just nasty. What about Andrei Rogozine, and Patrick Myzyk? Not too sure of their ages but I thought Rogozine just won Cdn juniors a year or so ago. I thought they both had quite interesting short programs, even if their free programs didn't go the way they planned. I don't think Orser and Browning were up at the top their first years at seniors.

Andrei Rogozine is 17, turning 18 this Saturday. In this season, he won gold in both his JGP assignments but came 3rd in the JGP final. After seeing how well he was doing, I was almost sure he would make it to the top 5 or at least top 8 in the senior men's National event. He placed 13th at this year's Nationals but if he keeps skating I am betting he will fare better next year.

overedge
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
DiManno's strategy has always been to make an irrelevant (or wrong) point, and then shout it as loudly as she can in hopes that the volume will distract from her flawed argument(s).

She seems to be the only person carping about how Canadian men's skating (other than Chan) sucks. That to me says more than enough about how pointless her point is.

professordeb
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Yet another reason why I don't want to read that stupid paper.

I simply lurved Shawn and his hat stuff came after his skate when he took his bows and then in the K&C so what's the big flippin deal? Jealous much, Rosie, cause you can't pull it off you sour old witch? Some of us actually find it endearing and the fact that a more "mature" skater has made a comeback and landed his skating nemesis more than once makes this OLD lady estatic and thinking Shawn is worthy of the SO.

If "Rosie" is in McLeod's pocket, why would she rip Kevin so badly?
Kevin, loving that I'm seeing him keep up the performance in spite of the jumps. I'm sure those will come back and should he continue to learn how to "sell" his program, he'll be back on the podium. Yeah, he had an off day - but then so too did others. Kudos to him for working with Shae and working on that part of his skating. Keep it up kiddo, I'm pulling for ya!

kwanfan1818
01-25-2011, 05:40 PM
DiManno is just tedious.

aliceanne
01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
My goodness. I guess there is no point reading her review. I saw Kevin and Shawn for the first time on the GP circuit this year and enjoyed them both.

Canada has never had a shortage of male singles competitors. No reason to believe they will now. Senior stars are difficult to predict anyway. Often the novice and junior champions flame out at the senior level, and it's the workhorses who turn out to be stars.

Snark sells, but I am tired of supporting it.

Seerek
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm surprised that after 12 years, the Toronto Star still hasn't found another sports reporter to cover for Rosie Dimanno and leave her free to do her editorials. She's never been kind to any Canadian skater who wasn't firm podium potential.

In a way, I'm happy Rosie doesn't cover other individual sports like Track and Field, Swimming or even Alpine Skiing - she'd be moaning about Canadian results till the cows come home.

skatesindreams
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Why can't they find another reporter?
That's not journalism.

venja
01-25-2011, 06:31 PM
For heaven's sake, it's Rosie DiManno. 'Nuff said.

I maintain the same position I've had with her for the past 10+ years: she's an idiot.

Anyway, as someone who has been a victim of reading her previous "articles," this is basically the way she writes for everything. She does it on purpose and the reaction that it has sparked on this board is exactly what she wants.

Iceman
01-25-2011, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=marbri;3037018]
I also think she is way off regarding Kevin Reynolds. When all his jumps escaped him I actually watched thinking "damn that's a well choreographed program".

But Reynolds himself laid some blame on his choreography:

“ The nerves showed at the beginning. It would have been an okay performance, I think, if it wasn’t for that last choreographed sequence. It took the energy out of the program and I lost points as well.”

ioana
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I think Kevin's talking about his fall/trip on the last ftwk sequence, before the 'camel jump' -which I assume is around 4:45 in this video? Not so much the actual choreography being a problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpFXlt8sL8

floskate
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Bitch is the word! :eek: And yet maybe there's a touch of short term memory loss at work here because despite the vitriol she throws at Shawn in this article, less than 24 hours earlier she wrote:

Sawyer, in particular, had a memorable skate here in the finals with a clever Alice in Wonderland routine that contained gobs of creative movements.

So Rosie, d'ya like the guy or not? Love him Sunday, loathe him Monday? :confused:

Woman needs to get a grip and actually learn about the sport she's been trashing for years. Then she might have a shred of credibility. Oh and she could really use a new colourist while she's at it. :blah:

minx
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
She has a point, somewhat. Except the article should have been about the Ladies.