PDA

View Full Version : Mo Hassan case, beheads wife.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Badams
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but this case has been in the news a ton here and it's surprising to me that it's not all over the news elsewhere, mainly because Hassan is so...odd. It's a sick, twisted and weird case. I'm not sure anybody else will think it's all that interesting, but I thought I would give it a shot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/17/muzzammil-hassan-muslim-t_n_167772.html

http://www.examiner.com/spirituality-in-buffalo/muzzammil-mo-hassan-s-beheading-trial-gets-off-to-rocky-start-buffalo

http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/mo-hassan/article321914.ece

It's such a made for TV type case.

LuckyCharm
01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
That is tragic and twisted. I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less. And representing himself? This will be quite the train wreck. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it nationally. It's definitely the type of case that Lifetime movies and Dateline specials are made of. I wonder if it will be televised at all, because I really am curious to see this psycho try to defend himself.

Badams
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
They only allowed cameras in for the opening arguments and will again for closing. He killed her while his kids waited in the car, claims it was self defense, claims HE was abused, turned himself in, claims he was abused while in jail...the list goes on and on with him. It absolutely reads like a Lifetime movie or Dateline story.

Orable
01-24-2011, 09:55 PM
This murder made tidal waves in the American Muslim community in 2009. As evidence mounted, it became clear that he was a deranged, violent domestic abuser - Aasiya was not his first wife; the first two both filed for divorce for identical reasons: domestic abuse and violence.

The one positive effect was that it brought domestic violence out in the open, so to speak, in the Muslim community. In February 2009, a unified & nationwide effort entitled "Imams Speak Out" launched: imams throughout the nation dedicated a sermon to DV, February is now considered DV Awareness month in mosques, imams & community leaders have started getting licensed on a large scale to counsel & assist DV victims and created processes to work more closely with local law enforcement officials. Here's an example of the response (http://muslimahmediawatch.org/2010/02/nine-things-you-can-do/), by a theologically conservative imam in Chicago, who's a nationally known leader of the Muslim community.

This is a great piece (http://zerqaabid.blogspot.com/2009/02/did-we-ever-bother-to-know-muzzammil.html)written by his ex-wife's cousin Zerqa Abid, a nationally-known Muslim writer, about Mo Hassan, Muslim leadership and their obsession of image over substance, especially when it comes to sweeping things under the rug.

According to Abid, Mo Hassan was mentally not all there, which probably explains his self-representation. Frankly, I don't know how I want to see this play out: life in prison w/no parole or the death penalty. I'm normally against the DP, but in some cases, I can sometimes see it's appeal (I know, I know :scream: )

Squibble
01-24-2011, 10:04 PM
According to Abid, Mo Hassan was mentally not all there, which probably explains his self-representation. Frankly, I don't know how I want to see this play out: life in prison w/no parole or the death penalty. I'm normally against the DP, but in some cases, I can sometimes see it's appeal (I know, I know :scream: )

What purpose would executing him serve, particularly if he is, in fact, mentally ill? And where would you draw the line?

Orable
01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
That's why I wrote "I know, I know!"

What purpose would executing him serve, particularly if he is, in fact, mentally ill? And where would you draw the line?

IceAlisa
01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Tragic. Shouldn't this be in PI?

milanessa
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Tragic. Shouldn't this be in PI?

Unless the discussion gets a lot more heated and divisive I don't think so. Just because it involves religion or politics doesn't send it to the PI closet, IMO.

milanessa
01-24-2011, 10:46 PM

This.

Katoomba
01-25-2011, 01:13 AM

Fortunately, there's no death penalty in New York. Such a tragic case.

vesperholly
01-25-2011, 05:52 AM
Yuck, I was called for jury duty the day that selection started for this trial. I wasn't called for it (and was dismissed) but my friend was. It took them a week to get 14 jurors ... I'm shocked they got any at all. It's gotten a lot of coverage in WNY and the general consensus seems to be guilty, guilty, guilty.

BigB08822
01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Why is a man, who is supposedly mentally ill, being allowed to represent himself? This has retrial written all over it and could be a huge waste of taxpayers money.

Yehudi
01-25-2011, 12:17 PM
That is tragic and twisted. I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less. And representing himself? This will be quite the train wreck.

And he has already gone through a bunch of lawyers in the past 2 years.

His tactics appear to consist of trying to portray his actions as being misunderstood. His kids already testified against him, and his lawyer tried to paint it as just kids who have a difficult relationship with their father. :rolleyes:

Badams
01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Why is a man, who is supposedly mentally ill, being allowed to represent himself? This has retrial written all over it and could be a huge waste of taxpayers money.

I believe he was evaluated and deemed mentally stable. There are a lot of people who think his actions are him aiming for a mistrial.

heckles
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less.

According to the article, she stopped wearing her hijab. Qur'an 8:12 instructs Muslims to decapitate infidels.