PDA

View Full Version : Downton Abbey--Upstairs/Downstairs, Stiff Upper Lips, and Tea!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Matryeshka
01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone else watching this? It's got everything a great PBS British Masterpiece Theatre production needs--great clothes, horsies, big houses, Maggie Smith, tea, and..errr...hooyay.

It starts out with the sinking of the Titanic, and the sinking of the heirs to Downton Abbey, which basically means the oldedst daughter must marry the new heir or someone equally rich, else the family could be turned out. It's a great picture of the changing nature (and what hasn't changed) of British society pre-WWI. It covers everything from the working to the upper classes, those having a career v. the landed gentry "gentlemen", to women's rights, to sex (same and hetero). For a PBS period drama, it's got some :eek: turns in it to, like when the hot Turk turned up dead

Anyway, the pacing's excellent, and they give great recaps at the beginning for anyone wanting to catch up. It's on tonight 9/8c.

I'm LOVING this series so far, and even better, they're making a sequel to it later this year! :cheer2:

my little pony
01-23-2011, 07:23 PM
this show is awesome, i have nothing constructive to add but :cheer: to pbs

Icetalavista
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm a Downtoniac. LOVE those upstairs/downstairs soapy dramas. (Loved every cheesy minute of Titanic, too, for the record). I will be very interested to see if they reveal a bit more about the disabled main footman (is that his current job? I'm a bit confused) and the nasty piece of work housekeeper. Is she related to the gay footman or just in league with him?

I don't want the 'poor relation' inheritor to end up with the snippy eldest sister but it looks like he has a thing for her.

I don't do well with names as you can see.

As an RN I was interested to note Edwardian-era cardiac surgery techniques. Will have to chat with the cardiologists at work about those. :lol:

my little pony
01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I don't want the 'poor relation' inheritor to end up with the snippy eldest sister but it looks like he has a thing for her.

well, the homely and snippy middle sister also seems to have the hots for him

manleywoman
01-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm dying to watch this, but only have Part 2 recorded. Can anyone give me the schedule? I tried to set up a series recording but I guess I didn't do it right.

znachki
01-23-2011, 07:54 PM
I will be very interested to see if they reveal a bit more about the disabled main footman (is that his current job? I'm a bit confused) and the nasty piece of work housekeeper. Is she related to the gay footman or just in league with him?

Bates - who is the Earl's valet, has to fill in occasionally as footman.

I don't think that O'Brien - Lady Grantham's ladies maid, and Thomas, the footman are related. But I'm not certain. They certainly are troublemakers though.

One of my favorite lines so far was Maggie Smith's - What is a week end? I think she may have uttered a similar line about that vulgarism in Gosford Park!

skatingfan5
01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I will be very interested to see if they reveal a bit more about the disabled main footman (is that his current job? I'm a bit confused) and the nasty piece of work housekeeper. Is she related to the gay footman or just in league with him?I missed the first episode, so I can't answer all of your questions, but the "nasty piece of work" is not the housekeeper (who is rather nice), but is lady's maid to the countess (Elizabeth McGovern) and Bates, the man servant with a limp, is Lord Grantham's valet, a promotion that Thomas, the scheming footman, wanted.

Matryeshka
01-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm dying to watch this, but only have Part 2 recorded. Can anyone give me the schedule? I tried to set up a series recording but I guess I didn't do it right.

I don't think you can do a series recording with it in most areas. We tried to do it too--I think it's because how PBS does its scheduling--every station has a potentially different schedule, so there's no way for your DVR to download a schedule from a central hub. I've had issues DVRing other PBS shows.

It should be online somewhere though--it ran on BBC last year so you can catch up.

sk8sue
01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
If you're in the US, you ought to be able to see the episodes aired so far here (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html) until February 22.

I saw the first one and loved it, recorded the second, but haven't been able to watch it yet, and have a conflict tonight between recording it or the Canadian Championships. The Buffalo PBS station repeats Downton Abbey late on Saturday nights, though, so I'll have another opportunity, all being well.

emason
01-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry, but a dissenting opinion here; I have watched the first two episodes, but I am not sure why, since it is ghastly, to say the least. The costumes and some of the performances are the only good things about this. The storyline is ludicrous and over-the-top - a complete misfire as far as I'm concerned. I am not recommending this to anyone. Most people I know who viewed the first episode turned it off after 20 minutes and didn't even bother with the second. I give this a D-, I'm afraid.

BittyBug
01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I stumbled upon it yesterday and got sucked into the episode that was airing (visit from the Turkish diplomat :sekret: ). I immediately signed up for the rest of the season.

I love all of the conniving characters, and Maggie Smith does not disappoint.

Grannyfan
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm watching and loving every minute. On my PBS station, I get Lark Rise followed by Downton Abbey, so I'm in heaven on Sunday nights.

Wyliefan
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Anyone who's on Twitter, there's a Downton party every week, using the hashtag #DowntonPBS. It's been a lot of fun so far!

I can't say it's my favorite BBC miniseries of all time -- far from it -- but the story's entertaining enough, in a soapy way, and Maggie Smith is sublime. Nice to see Elizabeth McGovern again, too. I don't think I've seen her in anything since that absolutely hideous Scarlet Pimpernel series a few years ago.

Reuven
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I missed the first episode, so I can't answer all of your questions, but the "nasty piece of work" is not the housekeeper (who is rather nice), but is lady's maid to the countess (Elizabeth McGovern) and Bates, the man servant with a limp, is Lord Grantham's valet, a promotion that Thomas, the scheming footman, wanted.Bates was His Lordship’s batman (an officer’s personal servant) during the Boer Wars. I believe the injury is combat related which is why Grantham installed him as his valet, a position that Thomas, the scheming footman wanted. And Thomas has his own secret.

Wyliefan
01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Bates is a sweetie. I've noticed a lot of #TeamBates being used at the Twitter events. :)