PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Asli
05-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I understand all this kwanfan1818, but when everything is said and done, I/K's result is still amazing for their situation. The fact that the Shibutanis did even better does not change this. The Shibutanis have had ups and downs in the last two seasons and so have Elena and Nikita. Next season may be another story.

I am glad that Zhulin takes the approach of not exhausting them if that is what he thinks is right at that point of time. It is a brave and unselfish decision. Russia has already lost some tremendous talent because of skaters being pushed for immediate results - Anjelika Krylova and Maksim Shabalin. In Shpilband's camp there have been injuries related to over-training and quite a few eating disorders. Elena and Nikita are young, I would not wish them to be worn out physically and psychologically. I don't care if they're 7th instead of 5th this year, as long as they stay healthy and continue to delight us. :)

kwanfan1818
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately, comparing new teams to V/M's rise is like comparing every young skater to Plushenko and expecting the same results. Chan placed 9th in 2008 in his debut and won silver in 2009 and 2010, and he has been described as a loser until this year.

I hope Zhulin ignores the pressure to force I/K, too. The latest translations of articles that spoke of him giving P/B time off and having them come back out of shape -- if that was the observation before the event, and with the Kerrs withdrawal, no wonder they expected a medal from B/S or I/K -- added to the carping about Zhulin at the beginning of the season sounds like they're trying to fence him in.

alilou
05-05-2011, 07:20 AM
couple of articles about Morosov and the Russian team at worlds

Nikolai Morozov: Russian figure skaters need my help
http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/05/04/49846678.html

I stop working with some of my disciples and continue doing this with others. Because I think that Russian figure skaters need to learn much yet, and a great plus is that foreign and Russian figure skaters will skate together. However, the number of foreign figure skaters will certainly drop, and Ill put focus on the Russian figure skaters. Of course, my task is to do my utmost so that the Russian figure skaters will be able to achieve tangible results".

Morozov sees hope for Russia's skating future
http://themoscownews.com/sports/20110503/188632255.html

Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov had similar problems: In the free dance not everything went as planned. Maybe the support of the crowd was distracting, maybe it was just nerves, Katsapalov said.

Hedwig
05-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I understand all this kwanfan1818, but when everything is said and done, I/K's result is still amazing for their situation. The fact that the Shibutanis did even better does not change this. The Shibutanis have had ups and downs in the last two seasons and so have Elena and Nikita. Next season may be another story.

I am glad that Zhulin takes the approach of not exhausting them if that is what he thinks is right at that point of time. It is a brave and unselfish decision. Russia has already lost some tremendous talent because of skaters being pushed for immediate results - Anjelika Krylova and Maksim Shabalin. In Shpilband's camp there have been injuries related to over-training and quite a few eating disorders. Elena and Nikita are young, I would not wish them to be worn out physically and psychologically. I don't care if they're 7th instead of 5th this year, as long as they stay healthy and continue to delight us. :)
I so agree. We saw too many instances of skaters being pushed regardless of their bodies (Shabalin being one of the most tragic cases maybe) and Zhulin seems to have a good and sustainable approach IMO.
With this year's programs as well. They weren't easy and crowd pleasing (as much as I loved them after being a bit sceptical in the beginning) but rather programs where the two skaters were able to grow with.
It seems like Zhulin has a long-time plan with them and I think he does tremendously well.
I don't really care if they win medals at their next Worlds or if it takes a bit longer as long as they keep enjoying what they are doing, keep getting better and are still as interesting and hot as at the moment. This is what ice-dancing makes it enjoyable for me.

Asli
05-05-2011, 01:48 PM
The latest translations of articles that spoke of him (Zhulin) giving P/B time off and having them come back out of shape --

Isn't this how many of the skaters adjusted to the change in the schedule? I had understood that they had peaked for the end of March, but once the Worlds were postponed by five weeks, they couldn't sustain that peak for long. Chan said in the press conference that this was what he had done too and it didn't seem to have a negative effect on him. ;)

Anyway, P/B seemed in good form in this competition, not out of shape at all. Fabian slipped in one step - they rightly payed the price of it, but this was not an indication of not being ready for the championships.

quiqie
05-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Short interview with I/K after Support Japan charity show in St. Petersburg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A227P4ckPc

Q: As I understand, you are not exactly satisfied with your skating at the World Championships, or are you?
A: Well, we are quite satisfied with the first day, everything that we prepared maybe there were some rough moments, but we skated our maximum, and the audience, I think, was pleased.
Q: Yes, we even started hoping for your placement in top 4, top 5. It didn't work out in the free dance, well, it happens. Now internet is full of rumors that you are changing coaches, something like that, do they have any ground?
A: Maybe we had some problems, not even problems, misunderstandings, with our coaches, but in general, everything's good, and even if it wasn't, we wouldn't discuss that.
Q: What's in yur plans for the next season?
A: We will work at least 10 times harder, we'll try something new maybe, new style, new lifts...
Elena: New programs, new images.
Q: You got only level 3 step sequences, are you going to do something about that?
A: Yes, of course, we are going to try something new, because we kept almost the same for three programs, just changed some elements, and now we will try something new.
Q: The new ones will get you level 4, won't they?
A: Why yes, of course they will.
Q: I see, because this time, nobody got level 4 I think, at least for circular step sequence.
A: Well, it's hard.
Q: You are going to try?
A: We are going to try.
Q: Good luck for next season!
A: Thank you!

Loves_Shizuka
05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
^Thank you. I'm looking forward to their "new look"

slowmunchies
05-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Wow, Morozov's comment about Miki skating for Russia kind of makes sense in context. Miki's talked about going through a hard time and crying throughout Worlds, and earlier this year Miki tweeted about how "life's not easy" and she had to think about a decision. And of course, after her win in Moscow she pointed out that it was special because Russia is like her second country.

Plus, in a new Morozov interview he says that after the JSF congratulated him on Miki's gold, he told them this would be the last champion he would coach for their country. I thought that was odd (wouldn't he want Miki to win in the future? She says she wants to go for Sochi), but I assumed he just meant he wouldn't coach any more Japanese skaters. But maybe he was hinting at something more. The Morozov interview is here: http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2011/04/a_3600613.shtml I read a poorly translated English version though; maybe someone here can translate it better?

Loves_Shizuka
05-06-2011, 07:17 AM
^Seeing as this is of particular interest to me, I will give it a go, despite my DREADFUL hangover. :lol:

Gimme ten mins...

OK, so I think I will just summarise, as my Russian is not perfect, but I will try to get over all the main points.

*Headline is a quote: "Ando is the most beautiful"

*Starts by saying that though he (and Miki) often said their only goal for 2011 worlds was to medal, he himself believed, and wanted, her to win a 2nd world title. He knew she could win gold.

*From the beginning of the season, Miki has been in the best shape of her life, AND the most relaxed she's ever been. She doesn't have, what Morozov says the "Kim Complex" which Mao Asada also has. (I don't know exactly what this means...? I think it means Miki doesn't have all the pressure and expectation that fall on Yuna and Mao, so she is a little more relaxed)

*Yuna hadn't competed all season, and she has the talent to turn up to major competition as unprepared as this; however, Morozov doesn't think she suceeded in Moscow.

*However, Miki didn't show her "full arsenal" either. She didn't show all she is capable of in the LP, both from normal practice and other competitions this season. Still, the programme and music are beautiful and the audience liked it. She is getting more lyrical, and has worked on her composition, the complexity of her steps and transitions, which she has been weak at, and doesn't always find easy. She is always ready to work hard.

*Morozov watched the Russian skaters very closely, because from next season many will switch to Russian coaches, including him, so that only Russians will coach potential Olympians. This doesn't mean he will immediately stop working with foreign skaters. Indeed, working alongside Ando and Amodio will help his new Russian athletes and they will "grow faster."

*For the first time in recent years, Russia has become a medal force in all four disciplines. ... I can't quite understand the next bit, but I think it implies that Makarova was the weakest member of the whole Russian team, but that she is still young and this is only her 2nd season...I think...

*Leonova is entering a new level of skating. Morozov: "Leonova has switched to me, and of course, she will win." Then he laughs.

*3-3's are becoming very important in the ladies, and all ladies need the flip and lutz. However, it is still very important to skate the programme cleanly and purely, with quality, to get +GOE's.

*JSF approached Morozov, congratulated him, and then said "This is the last champion we have for you." That's literally all there is on this issue...

*Ando is the most beautiful female skater - the opinion of Boris Khodorovsky, the author of this article.

I hope that was good enough. Sorry for the possible mistakes. :)

millipied
05-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Wow, Morozov's comment about Miki skating for Russia kind of makes sense in context. Miki's talked about going through a hard time and crying throughout Worlds, and earlier this year Miki tweeted about how "life's not easy" and she had to think about a decision. And of course, after her win in Moscow she pointed out that it was special because Russia is like her second country.

Plus, in a new Morozov interview he says that after the JSF congratulated him on Miki's gold, he told them this would be the last champion he would coach for their country. I thought that was odd (wouldn't he want Miki to win in the future? She says she wants to go for Sochi), but I assumed he just meant he wouldn't coach any more Japanese skaters. But maybe he was hinting at something more. The Morozov interview is here: http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2011/04/a_3600613.shtml I read a poorly translated English version though; maybe someone here can translate it better?

Not much new, about Miki. He only states that Miki is the most beautiful one. Read between the lines.:)
But honestly, judging by both Miki and Morozov's comments, the Miki's story will end up only two ways- retirement or cardinal changes in her personal life with all consequences.

Autumn_girl
05-06-2011, 07:52 AM
*For the first time in recent years, Russia has become a medal force in all four disciplines. ... I can't quite understand the next bit, but I think it implies that Makarova was the weakest member of the whole Russian team, but that she is still young and this is only her 2nd season...I think...

Not actually, he only said Ksenia skated last in the warm up and the pressure on her was huge, so she couldn't show her very best, but she is young and will have another chance

Loves_Shizuka
05-06-2011, 07:58 AM
^ah ok, thank you!! (and sorry)

luCN
05-06-2011, 08:31 AM
If what Morozov said is true,I'm feel sorry for Miki...She never get enough respect or support from JSF,but she wins a lot.don't know why JSF treat her so bad...:(

Pavla2304
05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Article about Maxim Shabalin and his wife

http://radikal.ru/F/s59.radikal.ru/i166/1105/da/d52252e9a9f6.jpg.html
http://radikal.ru/F/s003.radikal.ru/i202/1105/c8/874b59d55363.jpg.html
http://radikal.ru/F/s41.radikal.ru/i094/1105/2f/2f291f8fc73b.jpg.html
http://radikal.ru/F/s43.radikal.ru/i102/1105/78/5640a84f8c82.jpg.html
http://radikal.ru/F/s50.radikal.ru/i127/1105/0e/297503686ddd.bmp.html
http://radikal.ru/F/s54.radikal.ru/i144/1105/9a/eb5c5b17bc26.bmp.html
http://radikal.ru/F/i082.radikal.ru/1105/b9/2c11564cdc1e.bmp.html

Enjoy it;)

slowmunchies
05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
thanks for the translation, loves_shizuka! :)