PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

dinakt
04-26-2011, 04:07 AM
IMO some of the babies have stronger skating skills than Leonova and as strong a presence. Of course they still have to show these on the senior circuit.

IMO some of the babies skating singles right now, would do very well in ice dance. For instance, 10-year-old Aleksandra Proklova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZunwOph5U) skates a more convincing tango than half the senior ice-dance field. (Thanks to oleada for the find.) Her jumps don't look as solid as some of the other baby Russians, so hopefully an ice dance coach will discover her.

Does anyone know of a suitable partner for the future Diva Aleksandra? He musn't be flimsy though, because she already has a pretty effective death stare. ;)

That is one musical and artistic child! Goodluck to her whatever she does; her "stage presence" is definitely noteworthy.
Thanks for the video!
As for Alena- I have somewhat of a soft spot for her- when she is "on", her joy of skating ( her so-so SS nonewithstanding) is contageous. But I am not sure just how much of a chance she has against the upcoming Russian Wondergirls. Still, it's rare to see a different approach to performing in women's skating, and I appreciate Leonova for being a bit different.

pinky166
04-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Butyrskaya was an extraordinary skater, though. She was very elegant, sophisticated, had a really special presence on the ice.

Leonova stands out too. She is super perky and has great personality but her basics aren't great, she's rather rough around the edges.

Whilst she's been skating quite well at the major events, you listed, I can't remember if she ever managed to skate two strong programs. I mean if she has done that during 2011 Euros, she would have been on the podium easily. :/

As for the Russian Juniors, puberty is a big question mark. Some of them are really struggling with it already (for example Shelepen) others might be hit later. So it remains to be seen whether strong Junior results are going to be replicated in Seniors.

The competition in Ladies next season is going to be fascinating. This season Leonova and Makarova pretty much had their spots by default, due to everybody else being underage (Sofia Biryukova is very inconsistent and I never thought she was a contender). Next season, it won't be the case any more as a number of girls will reach senior age.

If Anna can come back healthy next season, it makes me worry about Alena, because Anna is really perky and animated too, granted a little rough around the edges as well, but also has the elegance, long lines, and flexibility that judges like and Alena doesn't have. Adelina should be a force right away, but she isn't eligible for Euros and Worlds for another season. Polina Agafonova struggled with her jumps this season and hasn't even grown yet, and Liza, despite her impressive results this season, hasn't been very consistent with her 3-3s and some other jumps, and is still so tiny. Sofia and Shelepen struggled with puberty his season but could bounce back next season, and if they do, I'd be worried if I was Alena or Ksenia. Rosa seems to be gaining consistency and if she keeps it up, she should be a factor, though it's hard to tell if she's had her meeting with puberty monster yet. Korobeinkova doesn't have the content, but has everything else, so if she can work on her jump repetoire, she shouldn't be counted out either.

hanca
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes, what with the shaky jumps and amazing posture and artistry. :) And she is a Sasha too.

Of course she has got shaky jumps. She is just ten and has triple-triple! Surely you wouldn't expect that to be solid?

It would be waste to throw this away and change to dance. Better strategy would be to change the country. It is a bit crowded in Russia (ladies of her age) and there are countries like mine who could do with a at least one good skater. I don't want that much, just one, pleeease, one...

Asli
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
It would be waste to throw this away and change to dance.

"Throw this away"! :confused: I totally disagree! It would be a waste for her to stay in ladiezzzz when she could be so great in dance! :drama:

So it depends on which discipline you enjoy most. ;)

rfisher
04-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Of course she has got shaky jumps. She is just ten and has triple-triple! Surely you wouldn't expect that to be solid?

It would be waste to throw this away and change to dance. Better strategy would be to change the country. It is a bit crowded in Russia (ladies of her age) and there are countries like mine who could do with a at least one good skater. I don't want that much, just one, pleeease, one...

We'd be happy for her to move to the US. :)

It's almost as if a notice went out between 10-15 years ago to Russian couples that they needed to produce some female skaters and the whole country got right on that. I guess they missed the memo about males.

hanca
04-26-2011, 12:19 PM
We'd be happy for her to move to the US. :)

Hey, don't be so greedy! You have enough of your good young ladies. It is UK who doesn't have anything at the moment... :(

Domshabfan
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey, don't be so greedy! You have enough of your good young ladies. It is UK who doesn't have anything at the moment... :(

One or two needs to move to Australia as well. Russians usually have a tendency to switch to Australia in other sports so hopefully they will do that in figure skating as well.

Jumpin Bean
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
One or two needs to move to Australia as well. Russians usually have a tendency to switch to Australia in other sports so hopefully they will do that in figure skating as well.

Sorry Folks

Australia isn't buying figure skaters- with an annual budget of less than $30,000 for the whole program it isn't going to attract anyone to give up 2 years of international competition. If you have read any of the John Guerreiro interviews he makes it clear that his birth in Australia was a mere accident and that he is Russian. Having Aus next the your name in a Figure skating competition is going to give you an immediate disadvantage even more so if they have moved from Russia to Australia.

pinky166
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Elena Radinova's jumps aren't shaky are they?

hanca
04-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Sorry Folks

Australia isn't buying figure skaters- with an annual budget of less than $30,000 for the whole program it isn't going to attract anyone to give up 2 years of international competition.

Well, if you tried to get this 10 year old, I think she may not mind giving up 2 years of international competitions, considering that she will be able to compete in Juniors only when she is 13...:shuffle: You don't need to buy her; the trick is to persuade her that in Russia she would have to face stiff competition, whereas at your country she would have guaranteed status of a starr and be able to attend all future 4 continents / worlds championships.

oleada
04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Not everyone is Elena Radionova. Radionova is a prodigy at this point and is also over a year older than Proklova. Skaters do not progress at the same rate - Proklova could suddenly have a huge improvement in jumps, or Radionova's development could stall. If, if, if. They're not even 12 years old - it's so much in the air at this point. I think people were commenting on Proklova's musicality, which is certainly exceptional. Who knows what can happen in the future?

Proklova and Radionvoa have the same coach btw.

IceAlisa
04-26-2011, 05:36 PM

My post had more to do with the comparisons to Sasha Cohen and not realistic expectations for a 10 year old. In short, it wasn't meant to be serious.

I do hope she stays in singles because I am not big on dance, sorry Asli. :P

Asli
04-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I do hope she stays in singles because I am not big on dance, sorry Asli. :P

How is it fair that we are bombarded with 320 new Russian wonderbabies per year but we never get any coverage of the baby ice dance teams, even assuming that they exist? :drama:

IceAlisa
04-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Not fair at all. Perhaps it's time to start luuurving the 320 new Russian wonderbabies and ladiezzz singles? :P Can't beat'em, join'em.

hanca
04-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Ok then, just for you, Asli. :) Baby US ice dance teams:

http://www.wisa.us/