PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Loves_Shizuka
04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Yep.

She has pretty much zero chance of making the team unless she becomes super consistent (which she's never been).

Wasn't Leonova actually quite consistent for a while, maybe 08/09? Or did I imagine this? I remember her consistently doing 6 triple programmes in my mind.

Ziggy
04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
She does.

Good to hear. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her having a strong next season. At least on the PCS, she should have the edge over the babies if she skates well.

poths
04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Yep.

She has pretty much zero chance of making the team unless she becomes super consistent (which she's never been).

I dunno, Butyrskaya managed to keep her place when the likes of Soldatova, Sokolova, Volchkova, Ivanova, Pingatcheva and Kanaeva (all Junior World medalists in the 90's) looked to be the future. Leonova has experience now, and she may well settle into a consistent skater. To be fair, out of all the major champs she has been to, I think she has only ever missed a couple of jumps. She was pretty much perfect at the Olympics, Junior Worlds 2009, European Free 2009, 2010 and 2011.......

Ziggy
04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I dunno, Butyrskaya managed to keep her place when the likes of Soldatova, Sokolova, Volchkova, Ivanova, Pingatcheva and Kanaeva (all Junior World medalists in the 90's) looked to be the future. Leonova has experience now, and she may well settle into a consistent skater. To be fair, out of all the major champs she has been to, I think she has only ever missed a couple of jumps. She was pretty much perfect at the Olympics, Junior Worlds 2009, European Free 2009, 2010 and 2011.......

Butyrskaya was an extraordinary skater, though. She was very elegant, sophisticated, had a really special presence on the ice.

Leonova stands out too. She is super perky and has great personality but her basics aren't great, she's rather rough around the edges.

Whilst she's been skating quite well at the major events, you listed, I can't remember if she ever managed to skate two strong programs. I mean if she has done that during 2011 Euros, she would have been on the podium easily. :/

As for the Russian Juniors, puberty is a big question mark. Some of them are really struggling with it already (for example Shelepen) others might be hit later. So it remains to be seen whether strong Junior results are going to be replicated in Seniors.

The competition in Ladies next season is going to be fascinating. This season Leonova and Makarova pretty much had their spots by default, due to everybody else being underage (Sofia Biryukova is very inconsistent and I never thought she was a contender). Next season, it won't be the case any more as a number of girls will reach senior age.

rfisher
04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Perkiness is cute when you're 16. It begins to get annoying when you get closer to 20. The problem with Leonova, is she really hasn't grown in either her skills or interpretation. However, Sochi may give her incentive to do both. That and the fact she's well aware that there are some youngsters who'd like to be one of the 3 skaters competing for Russia (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that there will be 3 spots by then. :) )

Ziggy
04-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Perkiness is cute when you're 16. It begins to get annoying when you get closer to 20. The problem with Leonova, is she really hasn't grown in either her skills or interpretation. However, Sochi may give her incentive to do both. That and the fact she's well aware that there are some youngsters who'd like to be one of the 3 skaters competing for Russia (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that there will be 3 spots by then. :) )

I personally disagree. The music Leonova chooses for her programs lends itself very well to this kind of over-the-top interpretation and she really pulls it off.

hanca
04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I actually liked her witch program. Very nicely interpreted. I wasn't that keen on the circus program though.

rfisher
04-25-2011, 09:36 PM
I didn't like either one. It seemed a ripoff of Slute without the technical skills to back it up. Of course, that's what makes figure skating subjective. :)

Asli
04-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her having a strong next season. At least on the PCS, she should have the edge over the babies if she skates well.

IMO some of the babies have stronger skating skills than Leonova and as strong a presence. Of course they still have to show these on the senior circuit.

IMO some of the babies skating singles right now, would do very well in ice dance. For instance, 10-year-old Aleksandra Proklova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZunwOph5U) skates a more convincing tango than half the senior ice-dance field. (Thanks to oleada for the find.) Her jumps don't look as solid as some of the other baby Russians, so hopefully an ice dance coach will discover her.

Does anyone know of a suitable partner for the future Diva Aleksandra? He musn't be flimsy though, because she already has a pretty effective death stare. ;)

IceAlisa
04-26-2011, 01:44 AM
IFor instance, 10-year-old Aleksandra Proklova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZunwOph5U) skates a more convincing tango than half the senior ice-dance field.

:eek: Wow. That's a lot of tango in a 10 year old. She is awesome, great posture and use of arms and the tango spirit! :kickass:

BittyBug
04-26-2011, 02:19 AM
She reminds me of a certain Miss Cohen. :sasha1:

IceAlisa
04-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Yes, what with the shaky jumps and amazing posture and artistry. :) And she is a Sasha too.

Asli
04-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Her speed and footwork are already better than Cohen's though. Go her! :kickass:

oleada
04-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Proklova is awesome. She has so much personality for a tiny girl. And her speed is also great; it's another thing that struck me about her skating. Her SP to Indian Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Rfn-Qtg7Q&feature=related) is also really cool!

She was 5th at the Russian Championships for her age (Zhuk Memorial). These were the girls that finished ahead of her:

1. Natalia Ogoreltseva (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpP5fTlkN-c)
2. Maria Sotskova (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMwbVB79lY)
3. Seraphima Sakahnovich (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCRTcsveIvE)
4. Alina Karavaeva (haven't seen a video of her)

The videos are of different competitions. Ogoreltseva was also 5th at Russian Junior Nats - she has great spins and the full set of jumps - and is totally lovely to watch. I love Sotskova's big jumps, and she also has a 3F which is not in this program. Sakhanovich is already attempting a 3T+3T and 3Lz. :eek:

All were born in 2000.

IceAlisa
04-26-2011, 03:02 AM
All were born in 2000.

I feel old.