PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

pinky166
04-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Leonova needs to channel whatever she did for the Euros LP.

She only scored 105 for that performance though, which at Worlds might not even land her in the top 10, or maybe would just barely. Her score likely would have been a little higher had she skated in a later group, but her PCS historically have never been very high internationally. She needs to make sure she doesn't bomb the SP so that she doesn't give the judges a reason to keep her marks down in the FS.

Loves_Shizuka
04-13-2011, 04:54 PM
^You're right. But that's about as much as she can hope for (it seems) these days.

Autumn_girl
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
^She doubled one jump in her Euros LP though and didn't skate at the last group which affected her PCS, so I think she can get about 110-112 if she'll skate perfectly clean LP at Worlds (and don't forget about home advantage), but it's still lower than Adelina's and Liza's scores at Junior Worlds, where they didn't even skate their best...

quiqie
04-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Interview with Liza Tuktamysheva in Moscow News: http://mn.ru/sports/20110413/300996909.html

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva will not participate in the upcoming World Figure Skating Championships in Moscow because of age restrictions. Talented junior skater is preparing for the Olympic Games in Sochi under supervision by Alexei Mishin, Evgeni Plushenko's coach. Before the main event of the season 14-year-old skater talked to us about her position in the Russian team.

- Alexei Mishin doesn't think it's necessary to force your training. Doesn't it upset you that Adelina Sotnikova, who has already won two Russian National Championships, puts you in the shade?

- It's a bit upsetting, of course. And it's a bit annoying. But one must train, wait and believe in oneself.

- But you do not leave the impression of an unconfident athlete?

- I'm just trying to hide it. Although before going on the ice sometimes I'm shaking. But I don't want anyone to see it.

- You are from Glazov, where there was no strong school of figure skating. What brought you on ice?

- I cannot remember it myself. I was four or five when I started skating. There are two versions - my mum's and my dad's. Both my parents are into sports. Dad is a football coach, before that he had been skiing professionally. Mother used to play volleyball, and now she's teaching algebra and geometry at school. From 5 to 9th grade she was my class teacher. So my mother's version is that one of her pupils was the daughter of figure skating coach Svetlana Veretennikova, and once at home Nastya told about me, and the coach suggested that I come to the rink... My father's version is completely different. Once in summer he, as a coach, went to a sports camp and took me along. There I made friends with some novice skaters, and have chosen this sport because of them.

- And then Mishin noticed you?

- In Belgorod there is an annual competition, it's called Mishin's Cup. Me and my coach went there. I was 9 years old. I won. And I was just relaxing after the long program when suddenly Svetlana Mikhailovna comes and says: "Get dressed and come to the rink. Mishin wants to see you."

- You knew who he was?

- At that point I didn't know anyone in figure skating. I didn't understand why was all that, for what? I went out on the ice, like for a regular practice, did some jumps. Then Mishin said: "Wait, I will call." And the next day he called: "Come to St. Petersburg."

- Your reaction?

- I was cool, because we went only for 10 days. I had time to do some investigation. I thought to myself: "It's great, I'm going to train with Plushenko". But after the Torino Olympics he quit the sport. When I found out about that, I was upset, but then I thought, it's okay. Alexei Nikolaevich is very kind and not at all strict. He's very experienced, can always understand an athlete. Mishin is a good coach and funny person.

- At first was it hard in St. Petersburg?

- Very hard. I had to rework all the jumps. Because of that, I just hated this city. I did not want to go there, and I even thought about quitting the sport. But it was not just the training but the fact that I lived in St. Petersburg with Svetlana Mikhailovna. While other guys were with their family, grandparents...

- They had a shoulder to cry on.

- Yeah. Although I don't like to cry. Even when I'm with my mum and dad. Only when I'm alone. But I somehow coped with all that and survived.

- When exactly did you realize that you stand out among other skaters in the group?

- I honestly don't quite understand it even now. I'm just training and training. One and a half hour in the morning, two hours in the evening. Every day. At our local rink in Glazov. Before the competitions, I go to St. Petersburg. But I'm still rarely at home. I could do the jumps [easily] since the very beginning. But I cannot explain how I do them. I hate the questions: "And how do you jump?" I just go and jump. Quickly rotate and land. For me it is as natural as, perhaps, to breathe.

Before I came to St. Petersburg, my programs looked a little clumsy. After all, the rink in Glazov, unlike the skating centres in the big cities, didn't have choreographers. They just taught me to jump and - go ahead. Now my programs became more impressive, I work with two choreographers. It's getting better, but there is no limit to perfection. Before I go on the ice, Alexei Nikolaevich often says: "Why are you so tensed?" And I feel no difference, that I'm somehow different from the others. And my personality type is probably not the best [for a competitive sport]. I don't see enemies in my rivals. And I'm open to [communicating with] people in general. I love and know how to be friends. And even if I don't like someone, I can make it so that that person would not be against me.

- Sport is probably nor very easy for someone like you ?

- It is not easy. I'm like a naive fool. I believe that everyone is an angel and everything is good. And in reality it is not always the case. But so far I don't understand people well. I have to change.

Eris
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
but it's still lower than Adelina's and Liza's scores at Junior Worlds, where they didn't even skate their best...

And there're no spirals in juniors. 2+ points but still. ;)

vada5553
04-14-2011, 12:17 AM
thanks,quiqie. I'm looking forward to her next season:watch:. Go Liza!

Coco
04-14-2011, 01:38 AM
I love that interview. Thanks for posting and translating!

Sylvia
04-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Ekaterina Pushkash and Jonathan Guerreiro article: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2010/041411.shtml

let`s talk
04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Figurnoe_katanie/w/spbvideo_Kseniya-Makarova-YA-hochu-chto-bi-menya-nazivali-princessoy

It looks like Makarova is not in a very good shape either.

Go, girls! That would be a real shame if Russia loses two spots for the next Worlds, considering how many young talents are around.

pinky166
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Figurnoe_katanie/w/spbvideo_Kseniya-Makarova-YA-hochu-chto-bi-menya-nazivali-princessoy

Go, girls! That would be a real shame if Russia loses two spots for the next Worlds, considering how many young talents are around.

I don't think they lose the 2nd spot, that would mean both girls would have to finish quite low. It's more that it would be great if Russia could have 3 spots for ladies at next year's worlds and that isn't looking so likely at the moment.

Jammers
04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
That would be embarrassing if the Russians get 3 spots before the US does.

pinky166
04-17-2011, 11:59 PM
That would be embarrassing if the Russians get 3 spots before the US does.

The odds are much better for the US ladies this year based on track record of the team members this season. Ksenia and Alena have not been skating well pretty much all season, whereas Alissa's had a great season and Rachael has had a pretty good season and is gaining momentum.

alchemy void
04-19-2011, 12:57 AM

I'm so afraid that Russia will go down to one spot in ladies next year, which would be a disaster, considering their upcoming depth.

I can't believe Leonova is keeping that hideous clown program. She hasn't skated it cleanly once all year long! I thought for sure she'd go back to last year's cute Russian flag program. Hello! Worlds are in Russia, its a MUCH better program than the clown program, and she uses it as an EX so she's still familiar with it. She's bombed the SP all year long whereas she actually skated the awesome witch LP very well at Nationals and Euros.

Makarova has the opposite problem: a good SP which she has skated well all year but a hideous long program she has been really inconsistent with.

If one of these two can skate well enough to keep two spots, I'll be more than happy... 3 spots will not happen (unfortunately!)

Domshabfan
04-19-2011, 02:32 AM
I am yet to see how others are skating due to this extended season, it is very possible that we could have a splash fest in Moscow, so 1 spot or 2 spot will depend on the intensity of each persons splash fest and how worse each skaters decides to skate.

pinky166
04-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Do people think Leonova and Makarova will as poorly as 14th and 15th or worse? I mean, even if they are like 12th and 13th, that still gets them 3 spots. Who are we exactly expecting to beat them to get those two that low?