PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69

Lanna
03-20-2011, 10:20 PM
And to think that now, you can win with triple axel double toe combos and triple lutz combos...

And much better programs otherwise, in terms of everything that isn't jumps, which is the entire program minus the short period of time they're rotating in the air or falling on their asses on jumps they can't land.

millipied
03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I have to disagree that the quality of non-jumping parts of programs significantly improved. There are few instances of course but I would not call it a trend.

caseyedwards
03-20-2011, 10:48 PM
You do have that book by Jean Senft that says regression in jumps to get better spins and steps is perfectly acceptable and laudible and preferable and people who do that are smart and strategic and the best but also the winner of the OLYMPICS was quadless-a major sign of regression in jumps but many do not care and prefer quadless skating. But the regression was terrible and unfortunate.

Moka-Ananas
03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Russian skater Daniil Gleikhengauz (performed at 2007 Junior Worlds) who switched to Ice Dance a year ago is looking for a new partner.
Apparently his first partnership with Ksenia Korobkova didn't work out.

Kasey
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Hmmm, isn't the timing of a jump about 0.4-0.6 seconds air time? So even with combos, you are talking less than 15 seconds of a program being about the actual jumps. Count me as one who actually gives a crap about the other 4:25 of the free program. Glad there are others however who are so easily entertained.

Lanna
03-20-2011, 11:27 PM
You do have that book by Jean Senft that says regression in jumps to get better spins and steps is perfectly acceptable and laudible and preferable and people who do that are smart and strategic and the best but also the winner of the OLYMPICS was quadless-a major sign of regression in jumps but many do not care and prefer quadless skating. But the regression was terrible and unfortunate.

I'm a huge fan of Evan Lysacek, but god help him, his problems with jumps. After he had to miss Worlds because of a feck up on a triple axel led to injury, I don't see how anyone could blame him for deciding that not trying the quad, when his landing percentage wasn't that great, was the smarter idea than continuously trying to injure himself, and then to spend his time focusing on other areas of his skating and not wasting his time putting his eggs into a basket that's already broken. It's just not sane or sensible to keep trying a jump you know you can't do in a program.

And the quad is one fecking element, honestly. I didn't realize there was a checkmark next to "has/doesn't have quad" that you need to check before you're permitted to win anything.

If a skater can do an awesome, clean program and land a clean quad, all the more power. Most skaters can't (I can't name enough that I don't have fingers left over on one hand, but I'm sure I'm missing someone). If we require that skaters do quads in order to ever allowed to win anything ever again, we are in for some really, really empty programs, and if the skater misses the quad, he may as well just get off the ice, because the competition is over, and then hang up his skaters, because his career is. What a terrible sport that would be.

Macassar88
03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
And much better programs otherwise, in terms of everything that isn't jumps, which is the entire program minus the short period of time they're rotating in the air or falling on their asses on jumps they can't land.

This is going in the wrong direction... BTW, with her program and program component scores multiplied by 2 instead of 1.6, Kim Yuna would have had the highest free skate in the men's side. (Even without the eighth jumping pass)
But still, I love quads

Macassar88
03-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Russian skater Daniil Gleikhengauz (performed at 2007 Junior Worlds) who switched to Ice Dance a year ago is looking for a new partner.
Apparently his first partnership with Ksenia Korobkova didn't work out.
Was he originally a pairs skater or a singles?
And that seems like it would be a hard switch. Does it happen much?

Moka-Ananas
03-21-2011, 12:04 AM
He was a singles skater (19th at 2007 Jr. Worlds) but not a very successful one that's why he switched to Ice Dance a while ago.

Macassar88
03-21-2011, 01:25 AM
He was a singles skater (19th at 2007 Jr. Worlds) but not a very successful one that's why he switched to Ice Dance a while ago.
Oh that's cool.
Speaking of Ice Dancing, how are Bobrova and Soloviev doing?
And can she please change her Free Dance dress back to her GPF one?

millipied
03-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Oh that's cool.
Speaking of Ice Dancing, how are Bobrova and Soloviev doing?

On pins and needles?:)

Macassar88
03-21-2011, 03:37 AM
On pins and needles?:)
?
What happened????
I'm assuming some injury happened to one of them

Marco
03-21-2011, 04:17 AM
This is going in the wrong direction...

How so? The Japanese and the top Euro men all tried quads last season (inlcuding Taka's 4flip attempt and VDP's 4/3/3 at Worlds). And on top of that, spins and footwork of the top skaters have never been better. Sure, sometimes they have become overly complex, but the overall quality of spins and footwork have improved leaps and bounds compared to 2002 and even 2006. And choreography and musicality actually get rewarded now - just look at Lambiel's placement at the Olympics.

And this season, Chan attempts 3 quads in 1 competition (so back to 2002 pre-COP standard) but he does it on top of very difficult choreography, footwork and spins.

Fashionista
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM

No, please, NO!!!:yikes:

millipied
03-21-2011, 10:19 AM
?
What happened????
I'm assuming some injury happened to one of them

That was a joke. About them probabaly being in the same state as everyone eles waiting for Worlds decision. Hence on "pins and needles" ;)